Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

3 minutes ago, pn_day said:

Thanks for the history on 'my' bass - the p pickup in particular is great - lots of growl. 

Now if only my playing did justice to it :)

Haha - you're welcome. I guess that makes us family! 😁

Out of interest - what does the reverse of the headstock look like with the Hipshot Ultralite / Y-tuners i.e. are the original holes showing?

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Haha - you're welcome. I guess that makes us family! 😁

Out of interest - what does the reverse of the headstock look like with the Hipshot Ultralite / Y-tuners i.e. are the original holes showing?

I'm afraid that it does - but I figured the weight gain was improved by having more holes in the rear of the headstock! I jest - the holes are not great, but the weight reduction is very welcome. 

I ended up having to not use any of the original holes - as the closest ones were still not in the right place, and I didn't want to end up with overlarge holes that might muck up the possibility of reverting to the original hardware. 

Phil

BB425_rear_withHipshotLic.thumb.jpg.e4cb1587814f085e456ddb7e0c29b196.jpg

• Like 1

Actually that doesn't look too bad at all. And, besides, only you will ever see it, or possibly also the drummer!  And you can always load the originals back on if you ever decide to sell it on. 

How much of a weight saving did the new tuners deliver? 

I couldn't get an accurate weight reading as our kitchen scales were on the blink. However, using an old spring luggage scale, the total bass is now at about 3.6-3.7 kg. Before I think it was over 4kg - should have written it down before taking all the hardware off...

It's not only fixed the neck dive, it has also made the whole bass feel significantly lighter. 

Worth it in my opinion, but paying the extra for the USA Hipshot lites might be worthwhile to avoid the need to pack the shaft with tape.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, moley6knipe said:

I have a spreadsheet of basses past and present. I know, I know. 

+1^^ I'm nearly as bad! Must be an ex-425 owners' thing!😁

More importantly that's now an 8lb bass, which would be down at the bottom of my basses weight wise. And he's shaved off 1/8 of the weight of the bass just by swapping the tuners. That's a very good result! Yamaha if you're listening...

3 hours ago, pn_day said:

Worth it in my opinion, but paying the extra for the USA Hipshot lites might be worthwhile to avoid the need to pack the shaft with tape.

You'll have to talk me through why the cheaper Hipshot Ultralites needed you do do that?

Edited by Al Krow

Oh and I guess if you're going to change one thing about a bass (which affects its weight) without affecting its tone, then the tuners would be that thing, right?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

The Ultralites come in different sizes, could it be that the licensed ones were just a different size to the US ones?

Interested as I bought a set of 5 licensed ones for my BB1025X that I never got around to fitting, but will do some day!

Just now, TRBboy said:

Love those! If they relaunched them in a 4 and 5 string, in the same lovely colours as the new pacifica range, I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

The 5 crops up pretty often. Normally in an absolutely stunning blue.

Then pay for a respray 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Are you currently completely Yammy BB devoid, for the first time in a while?

No, no, no, have my Pimped BBN5 as my backup bass, but it is just that and my new Sandberg now, I have trimmed right down! 

14 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

No, no, no, have my Pimped BBN5 as my backup bass, but it is just that and my new Sandberg now, I have trimmed right down! 

Ah yes, I forgot about your rather tasty pimped BBN5! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ah yes, I forgot about your rather tasty pimped BBN5! 

I wouldn't say no to one of those 5 string Attitude Specials though! ^ 😁

I do keep watching out for things going on ebay too.... Even though I don't need them! There was a BB405 going pretty cheap, and a BB425... Managed to resist though! 

Just now, TRBboy said:

I wouldn't say no to one of those 5 string Attitude Specials though! ^ 😁

I do keep watching out for things going on ebay too.... Even though I don't need them! There was a BB405 going pretty cheap, and a BB425... Managed to resist though! 

So I tried an Attitude the same time as a BB NE2 a while back. Maybe it was store environment or the combo I was playing through, but I really didn't feel it with the Attitude, but the NE2 blew me away!

AndyT you had a couple of Attitudes and moved them on, if I remember right. What's your take on them?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So I tried an Attitude the same time as a BB NE2 a while back. Maybe it was store environment or the combo I was playing through, but I really didn't feel it with the Attitude, but the NE2 blew me away!

AndyT you had a couple of Attitudes and moved them on, if I remember right. What's your take on them?

I wish I hadn’t sold them...damn me and my silly behaviour...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I wish I hadn’t sold them...damn me and my silly behaviour...

So you really liked them? Well with the benefit of hindsight anyway.

1 minute ago, Maude said:

I've just my sold my BBG5s, not very interesting I know but I've had it for over twenty years and it feels a bit weird not having it sat there in the rack. 

Yeah, bit like parting with an old friend that you've shared happy memories with but haven't really spoken to for a while.

• Like 1