Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

17 minutes ago, 2elliot said:

You should change your name to Shallow Al. Lol.

I'll get my coat...

Don't tell me looks have never played a part in any of your choices and you are purely a personality guy? 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love both but like bolt on better soundwise. Somehow it fits my way of a hard fingerstyle playing better.  With Mr. Hook...well I think on one side a signature should be like the bass the the artist ist playing. On the other hand, if he now is playing this kind of Yamaha and is happy with it... fair enough. 

What I find really important is the price. I don't see the point in a 3000+ Euro / Pounds instrument that you can't afford buying. Times changed and we all (!) know, that a bass does not have to cost a fortune to be an excellent instrument. Even less, when we are talking about a bolt on 4 string bass that is nearly a thing of the current production? Or am I wrong that it will be the shape of the today's BB series ? 

Besides that...I am very exited and hope to get one in my hands 🙂 I do have very good experience with Yamaha signature basses ! 🙂 (NOT talking about the BS basses)  

Edited by gobasserk
  • Like 1

Hi Richard - just pulling your query onto this thread, as there are lots of folk with considerable experience of BB basses, so hopefully one or more of them will be able to address your query! 

Personally I would go for a BB 1024 every time, but then I'm particularly enamoured with that bass (I have the 5 string version)! And for significantly less than the cost of a BB 1100 you could get a BB414 or 424 which are both excellent value used.

Edited by Al Krow

1 minute ago, BassApprentice said:

So...the Miki signature model is basically the same as the newest Flea signature model but in the BB Shape. Interesting. 

Yeah, I don’t think they’re making it a sig model. Although it would be a nice MM alternative.

He’s often seen with a chrome 2024x but also a Modulus Flea. Think Yamaha wanted him playing their basses more regularly and YGD custom shop did this.

Pat said in the interview while a Miki signature won't be a thing, they do use what the artists want to inform the next models and said that the pick up config is part of that consideration. 

While not a definite, he hasn't ruled out an MM pickup production model in the future 

3 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Spotted a white 2025 FS today on FB, don't know if it's on here too.... £1500... You can get a new BBP5 for that can't you? 

The BB2000 cost big money when new. You can stick another £1k on top of that price to get somewhere close the RRP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2elliot said:

The BB2000 cost big money when new. You can stick another £1k on top of that price to get somewhere close the RRP.

Yeah I know they were a lot more, just thinking in terms of comparison to the current japanese-built flagship model.... 🤷‍♂️ But the white 2025 does look cooler! Wish they had done some more inspired colours in the current range, especially the BBP's

On 14/05/2020 at 10:41, Al Krow said:

I'm sure @FinnDave will be along shortly to sell you his newly acquired by trade one. After all he's had that bass for 5 mins already, which is a pretty good show for him.

I am considering moving the 1024x on, not because there's anything wrong with it, but because I'm short of money and storage space and this is my most recent acquisition, so I have no sentimental attachment to it yet. I got it as an exchange for an Ibanez 6 string bass that I had stopped playing. Realistically, what do they go for now? There's no case, it came to me in a well packed box.

Edited by FinnDave

I'd say the 1024 / 1024x typically go for around £400 to £475 depending on condition (and the 5 string versions for a little more) . There have been a fair few listed in the FS, so that should give you a pretty good idea. 

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'd say the 1024 / 1024x typically go for around £400 to £475 depending on condition (and the 5 string versions for a little more) . There have been a fair few listed in the FS, so that should give you a pretty good idea. 

Thanks, Al, I'll mull it over and advertise it if I feel I need to sell it. I had two Ibanez sixes I decided to sell some months ago, and both ended up as swaps! There's also a nice Classic 60s Jazz bass, but I've played that more than the Yamaha.