Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

I've had a 1200, a 300, a 3000A and a 1024, and I'd completely agree that the 414 I have now punches waaaaayyyyy above its weight. Just a really, really good passive P/J. I liked the 2024 I played at Bass Direct years ago, but I don't think I could live with the neck profile these days, and spending almost ten times as much to find out? Probably not...

• Like 1

I've had the 425 and 1025. Both excellent basses for the money. Is the 1025 "twice as good" as the 425? Nope. In fact it would be hard to find a bass that is. 

But is the 1025 worth the extra for me? Absolutely! 

On 24/05/2020 at 18:15, Al Krow said:

Here you go. Changing the EQ does what you would expect in terms of cut / boosting particular frequencies, but in terms of core tone I found it pretty subtle and certainly nothing that has me reaching for my credit card!

Be interested to hear from any BB1200 / 1200S owners if this comes close to emulating their bass tone?

In purely sonic terms,  this  seems a bit of an odd choice for a preamp, to be honest with you.  I am a big fan of Yamaha basses, but they have never really been renown for their preamps. The notable exception would be the Nathan East preamp which Yamaha marketed themselves as a standalone unit in the early 2000's. The selling point for this product  is the Peter Hook association.  If that inspires peoples' imagination then great, but it might not translate to much in terms of tone.  I quite like Peter Hook as a bass player but I'm sceptical his preamp has ever had much to do with his overall tone. It's more his effects and his overall approach.

If a boutique electronics company wanted to make a vintage  Yamaha- inspired product, a reissue of the PB1 rackmount   bass preamp from the early 1980s would be a great choice. It was a  superb bit of kit, almost as good as the Alembic preamp that inspired it. . 

• Like 1

I'm kinda intrigued that a BB 1024 got snapped up within 24 hours of being listed.

OK let's maybe clarify that - given what a big fan of these basses I am, that in itself doesn't surprise me! What I'm more surprised at is that it got snapped up ahead of a more recent build vgc 734A, listed by one of our thread regulars, which does pretty much everything the 1024 does and then some with its active circuit, particularly as there was just £100 between them. 

Put it down to colour finish preference? Or are BBs "famous for" being passive basses and active capabilities, where present, ignored? 

• Like 1

On 06/06/2020 at 17:23, Al Krow said:

I'm kinda intrigued that a BB 1024 got snapped up within 24 hours of being listed.

OK let's maybe clarify that - given what a big fan of these basses I am, that in itself doesn't surprise me! What I'm more surprised at is that it got snapped up ahead of a more recent build vgc 734A, listed by one of our thread regulars, which does pretty much everything the 1024 does and then some with its active circuit, particularly as there was just £100 between them. 

Put it down to colour finish preference? Or are BBs "famous for" being passive basses and active capabilities, where present, ignored? 

Edited by whamni

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Your intrigued? I`m astonished as I owned the sold 1024 twice and it took me a while to sell it both times! :D

(Well 99% sure it`s my old one)

Just a case of the right bass at the right time and the right price for someone. But the 734 is all that the 1024 was and so much more. imo of course.

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

From my POV, I’d have almost any of the BBs other than the new ones, which I think look awful.

Sonetimes the most obvious answer can be the right one...

For those with extended experience of the BB425 and BB735 - are the neck profiles the same? And which of the two do you find comfier to play?

Obviously the old pickups have a certain something that some feel hasn't transferred to the new set up but from a comfort and feel, which do you prefer?

29 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

For those with extended experience of the BB425 and BB735 - are the neck profiles the same? And which of the two do you find comfier to play?

Obviously the old pickups have a certain something that some feel hasn't transferred to the new set up but from a comfort and feel, which do you prefer?

I had a BB425X from 2013-2014, and BB735A from 2018-2019.  2014 was long ago enough that I can't really remember the details; but I would say overall I preferred the BB735A, both in feel/comfort and sound.  If I was buying BB today, I'd get a 434 or 435.  I did also previously own a 434, and to me it is equal quality to the 735A, other than the existence of the preamp.  The preamp is good - but since I prefer a passive bass and removed the battery, the preamp scores no points for me personally.

Edited by jrixn1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mikeycrikey said:

Thought i would show you my BBs

White BB414 Bought here

Red BB424x Bought here

Caramel BB 1024x Bought here

Black BB 734a

Love them all but have a soft spot for the 424x.

20200606_200706.jpg

That's a seriously nice collection.

Back in the day, before lockdown was a thing and bands played live music, we would have described your four Yammys as "a full Trav". But he's since been seduced by Sadowskys...

You just need a BB P34 to round that collection off. And when you do, let us know. I can put you in touch with a chap who is definitely going to sell his. We'll at some point. Or maybe not. But get him on the right day... 

22 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

@mikeycrikey

think that’s my old 1024, lovely bass. I want your 424x

I got my Carmel off @itsmeDunc quite some time ago.

Love the 424x got that from @Mojo.

I've got my on something on here so i may have to let one off my BBs go to raise some funds.

Not sure what would sell quickest.

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

That's a seriously nice collection.

Back in the day, before lockdown was a thing and bands played live music, we would have described your four Yammys as "a full Trav". But he's since been seduced by Sadowskys...

You just need a BB P34 to round that collection off. And when you do, let us know. I can put you in touch with a chap who is definitely going to sell his. We'll at some point. Or maybe not. But get him on the right day... 

That would be pretty cool to own everything from a 414 right up to a P34.

I have managed to get to 56 years of age and have never even held a Fender bass let alone played or owned one.

I think its time i finally ticked that box. Suspect they would have a hell of a lot to go to match my BB's

50 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Not quite the answer your after but from the 4 string equivalent i find the 424x is definitely thicker front to back but in a good way. You know its there but its not thick or bulky, just right really.

The 734a is definitely shallower front to back. Feels slimmer in the hand. Although its bigger it has more in common with a Jazz neck than the 424x.

Hopefully the 5 string equivalents will follow suite.

Either way they are definitely different. Depends on what type of neck you prefer

• Like 1

I think the 5ers have significantly flatter necks than the 4 string Yammys, so I'm not sure we can do a straightforward read across from the 4s to the 5s? 

I did have both a 425 and 735A but not at the same time and I don't currently have either in my herd, so I'd be hard pressed to give an accurate comparison; but I've found all the necks on my Yammy 5ers very comfortable indeed to play. 

Might be worth sharing that the BB425 is the only bass I've ever had sufficient seller's regret to replace!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mikeycrikey said:

I got my Carmel off @itsmeDunc quite some time ago.

Love the 424x got that from @Mojo.

I've got my on something on here so i may have to let one off my BBs go to raise some funds.

Not sure what would sell quickest.

It might be pure coincidence. Nice basses though - not many seen in caramel.

Can anyone help please? I have, as previously shown in this thread, a rather lovely BB414 that is simply my 'forever bass' and now I'm thinking about a 5 string to replace my old Washburn, I've been made an offer on a BB235 that is very tempting, but will have to buy untested, what are people's experiences, if any?? I only play at home and low volume jams with a guitarist friend, so the 'tone' and pickups are of less concern than the general feel and build quality, are they still as solid as my 2008 Yammy? Cheers!!

• Like 1

Hi lads, does anyone know what size Allen key I need to adjust my BB734a truss rod? I think Yamaha website says 5mm but that just seems to be a generic answer for all Yammy basses and I'd rather get a number from someone who's tried it. 

52 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

Don't you have at least one big bundle of this in all sizes???

I do, but I bought it off Amazon ages ago and it's an imperial sized set and none of them seem to fit! And I don't wanna force it and risk rounding off the nut either.