Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Hey folks! Hope you're all doing okay. 

As much as its an excellent bass, especially at the price point, it's time to move my BB435 on 😔

Just wondered if anyone would give me a steer on what they think it's worth currently? It's only about 6-9 months old and in great condition. 

New prices seem to vary quite a lot at the moment, from about £525 - £600ish, so I'm thinking maybe somewhere around the £400 mark? 

I'd be grateful for your thoughts anyway. 😊

FB_IMG_1580758127495.jpg

6 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Just wondered if anyone would give me a steer on what they think it's worth currently?

This one was given away! at £230:
https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/334752-sold-yamaha-bb435/

This one's still here after a few months, at £400 (includes a second custom pickguard):
https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/398606-feeler-yamaha-bb435/

Edited by jrixn1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

This one was given away! at £230:
https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/334752-sold-yamaha-bb435/

This one's still here after a few months, at £400 (includes a second custom pickguard):
https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/398606-feeler-yamaha-bb435/

Thanks man, that's helpful! 😊👍

I reckon I'll possibly put it out at £380 or something. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go. Changing the EQ does what you would expect in terms of cut / boosting particular frequencies, but in terms of core tone I found it pretty subtle and certainly nothing that has me reaching for my credit card!

Be interested to hear from any BB1200 / 1200S owners if this comes close to emulating their bass tone?

Don't you know the Translucent Matte Black finish on the Yamaha bb734a could be like the satin finish?
Long time ago I had a Cort C5H black satin and its finish was fantastic and I started to use the bass and the finish of the body became glossy in small circles due to my hand and sweat. And these glossy areas were unremovable. And that was not so cool.
I'm thinking about a Yamaha bb734a but I'm not sure which should I choose.
BB734a black owners what do you think?

14 hours ago, Zolko said:

Don't you know the Translucent Matte Black finish on the Yamaha bb734a could be like the satin finish?
Long time ago I had a Cort C5H black satin and its finish was fantastic and I started to use the bass and the finish of the body became glossy in small circles due to my hand and sweat. And these glossy areas were unremovable. And that was not so cool.
I'm thinking about a Yamaha bb734a but I'm not sure which should I choose.
BB734a black owners what do you think?

I think the one for sale on here is a bargain

1 hour ago, 2elliot said:

Peter Hook playing the new BB on YouTube now! 

Search Salford Music Festival.

20200529_220236.jpg

Cool stuff. Found it on youtube! 

Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance, to the radio.... 

Well, it made my wife dance in the living room 😉

I found the bass quite shiny, almost like a mirror. Well, my wife saw it and loved it. Got now permission to get one. So, all good and thank you, 2elliot 😎 

• Like 2

Well. Sat in my garden having a bit of me time. Recorded some ideas yesterday and The Sadowsky was in another room...

Cannot believe this bass. Still punching way above its weight. And the Sadowsky is nowhere near ten times as good for ten times the price. 

In saying that, the 1024x wasn’t twice as good for twice the price either.

Happy Orange Monday.

B2742FD5-F65F-4DB4-8888-8A0A43A9B5C8.jpeg

• Like 7

Not strictly BB but Yammy related...

My friend has shown an interest in learning the bass guitar. I have a chance to get a TRBX 174 for him which seems to be in good nick. I have never actually played this model before so wanted to get some advice on whether to go for it? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

My friend has shown an interest in learning the bass guitar. I have a chance to get a TRBX 174 for him which seems to be in good nick. I have never actually played this model before so wanted to get some advice on whether to go for it? 

Can’t go wrong really...as long as you can make sure it works/is playing well...

6 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Well. Sat in my garden having a bit of me time. Recorded some ideas yesterday and The Sadowsky was in another room...

Cannot believe this bass. Still punching way above its weight. And the Sadowsky is nowhere near ten times as good for ten times the price. 

Happy Orange Monday.

I know you told us about this bass in the thread but I couldn't find it. Is a BB414 right? And the pickguard was made by a luthier? I have to tell you: orange is my favourite colour and I'm considering buying a BB with that same finish from a local store... 

Edited by javi_bassist

1 hour ago, ClassicVibes said:

I've owned quite a few Yamaha guitars and basses over the years, and used to work in a guitar shop that was a Yamaha dealership. So I've played a lot of Yamahas over the years. 

I've never played a bad one, regardless of price point, they always seem to feel and sound great. Clearly some are better than others, but I don't think they've ever made a bad instrument! 

One of the few brands I would have no qualms about buying blind. 😊

This TRBX may benefit from a bit of a setup or some new strings, but essentially it will be a great quality beginner instrument. 

Edited by TRBboy

2 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

I know you told us about this bass in the thread but I couldn't find it. Is a BB414 right? And the pickguard was made by a luthier? I have to tell you: orange is my favourite colour and I'm considering buying a BB with that same finish from a local store... 

Yeah a bb414, no changes at all - I had a bb1024x pickguard in black on it and it looked fab. Then I played with a mate who had a fender strat in candy tangerine (very similar to Yamaha OM) With a Pearl pickguard. I had to do it.

then I stumbled across an NOS attitude bridge - and snapped it up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Happy Orange Monday.

Same here, haven't played bass for about a year (but have mucked about on a guitar), then last weekend a friend sent some Ideas for songs over and asked me to put some bass to them. Got my BB414 out of the cupboard ( hardly even needed tuning) and was instantly blown away by how good it sounded and felt so good to play. Will never part with mine.

Just now, sykilz said:

Same here, haven't played bass for about a year (but have mucked about on a guitar), then last weekend a friend sent some Ideas for songs over and asked me to put some bass to them. Got my BB414 out of the cupboard ( hardly even needed tuning) and was instantly blown away by how good it sounded and felt so good to play. Will never part with mine.

Well...my singer has one in wine red, I would like that too.

this has brand new d’addarios on it and sounds like a £1500 bass - easily.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Happy Orange Monday.

Stunner!

• Thanks 1