Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

13 minutes ago, 2elliot said:

I pretty sure the bridge wasn't gold, probably the lights reflecting off the metal work.  

I'd say it's using the standard knob set up from the 734a less the pot for the bridge pick up. The passive tone control is the same knob as the active treble when in passive mode....

Yes you're right....

I did find it quite odd looking as I love the control layout of my BB1200S' ...

Its grown on me now...

3 hours ago, FinnDave said:

That's great, if I didn't already have a standard stealie tattoo, I'd use this for one!

I've bashed together quite a few Stealies over the years. They're infinitely customisable and great fun to do. Here's a few that I've not managed to delete/overwrite.

multi-stealie.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

If it ends up like that - vol/tone/B/M/T - reverse P I’m interested.

If it’s that odd 1 big control with 3 eq/mismatched hardwear I’m out.

Lol, it's only one control away from looking like the original 1200s...

Anyway, my 734a is going up for sale. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nothingman said:

I’ve never been in to Yamaha basses but have recently taken a shine to the BB’s of late, mainly because of Hooky.

May have to shift my cab and pj Squier to make room for one. But which model?  

There's a connection between Yamaha basses and Hook Norton brewery? I'm intrigued...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Baceface said:

I've bashed together quite a few Stealies over the years. They're infinitely customisable and great fun to do. Here's a few that I've not managed to delete/overwrite.

multi-stealie.jpg

The banana is great - combination of the Dead and early Gong! 

1 hour ago, Nothingman said:

I’ve never been in to Yamaha basses but have recently taken a shine to the BB’s of late, mainly because of Hooky.

May have to shift my cab and pj Squier to make room for one. But which model?  

Tell us a bit more about what you're after bass wise eg 4/5 string, purely passive or active / passive, whether you want to buy new or used and a rough idea of budget and I'm sure we will be able to furnish you with some suggestions! 

Edited by Al Krow

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Tell us a bit more about what you're after bass wise eg purely passive or active / passive, whether you want to buy new or used and a rough idea of budget and I'm sure we will be able to furnish you with some suggestions! 

Oh just musing at the moment.

but it oils be a 4 string passive work horse.

nowt fancy. 

Need to shift stuff before I start looking. 

On 11/05/2020 at 18:58, Zolko said:

Hi Guys,
I made a short sound sample with 2 guitars, with a more expensive bass and with the Yammy 424x.

I would like to listen this sound file and compare the 2 sounds. If I play the bass I feel the shape of the body I feel the resonance of the body and the neck, I can see the the guitar. It is not an objective comparison.
But I would like to make an objective comparison, that's why I made this sound sample. And just for fun :D
Both have Elixir 45-105 strings,  just plugged into the Scarlett Solo 2nd, no amp simulation, just the dry line signal. 

The specs of the 2 basses are absolultely different, but the sounds are not so far from each other. I can hear the difference, but to tell you the truth, I can't hear the 1000-1300€ difference between the 2 sounds.

What do you think, which is which?
Wich one is the better?

part 1: bass#1 finger
part 2: bass#2 finger
part 3: bass#1 pick
part 4: bass#2 pick

They both sound good. Bass No 2 is a little deeper and punchier to my ear, but there is not a lot in it.

Edited by nilebodgers

On 11/05/2020 at 20:18, Vanheusen77 said:

I think the first one is the Yamaha and the second is some kind of Fender. Both sound great!

2 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

They both sound good. No 2 is a little deeper and punchier to my ear, but there is not a lot in it.

Yes, the first one was the Yamaha, the second one was a Fender American Standard Precision.
I feel the Yammy a bit better with finger, but with the pick the Precision was better for my ears.

And I'm still looking for a Yamaha 1024x :D

IMG_20200428_183857.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zolko said:

And I'm still looking for a Yamaha 1024x :D

I'm sure @FinnDave will be along shortly to sell you his newly acquired by trade one. After all he's had that bass for 5 mins already, which is a pretty good show for him.

2 hours ago, Nothingman said:

Oh just musing at the moment. but it oils be a 4 string passive work horse. nowt fancy.  Need to shift stuff before I start looking. 

BB414, BB424 or if you feel like splashing out a bit more a BB434. Job done. Either of the first two won't set you back too much at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

I'm sure @FinnDave will be along shortly to sell you his newly acquired by trade one. After all he's had that bass for 5 mins already, which is a pretty good show for him.

Not yet! I usually give everything a couple of gigs before I decide whether it's a keeper or not, and at the current rate, that could take a while!

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

BB414, BB424 or if you feel like splashing out a bit more a BB434. Job done. Either of the first two won't set you back too much at all.

I like the natural stain of the 234. I’ll do some more research into the different levels. But yes, the look tasty. 

oh if only...

Guest Corto14

Having both a Yamaha bb734a and a brand new Fender AO Precision I've found that the first is much more comfortable to play, especially when I practiced sitting on a chair. I don't know why but after 20/30 minutes my forearm hurts at the point where I rest it. Anyone that have had this "experience"? 

To remain more o.t., the Yamaha is much much more balance despite is a little heavier, and the build quality is on pair to me.