Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

18 minutes ago, Zolko said:

Hi Guys,
I made a short sound sample with 2 guitars, with a more expensive bass and with the Yammy 424x.

I would like to listen this sound file and compare the 2 sounds. If I play the bass I feel the shape of the body I feel the resonance of the body and the neck, I can see the the guitar. It is not an objective comparison.
But I would like to make an objective comparison, that's why I made this sound sample. And just for fun :D
Both have Elixir 45-105 strings,  just plugged into the Scarlett Solo 2nd, no amp simulation, just the dry line signal. 

The specs of the 2 basses are absolultely different, but the sounds are not so far from each other. I can hear the difference, but to tell you the truth, I can't hear the 1000-1300€ difference between the 2 sounds.

What do you think, which is which?
Wich one is the better?

part 1: bass#1 finger
part 2: bass#2 finger
part 3: bass#1 pick
part 4: bass#2 pick

I think the first one is the Yamaha and the second is some kind of Fender. Both sound great!

• Like 1

On 09/05/2020 at 19:52, CPCustomdubwise said:

This particular thread seems to have gone a bit quiet recently.

Anyhow, just for the sake of completeness if for no other reason, ardent folliwers of the thread may remember this bass, mentioned several million posts earlier on. There was speculation about what it might be and whether it might be worth the asking price....

I looked at it a few times, bobbing there on the ocean of eBay, apparently becalmed...

I don't much like wine-coloured instruments...I've had lots of 5s, including several Yamahas, and never kept them, I wasn't after anything and anyway I was sure it would disappear quick....

But there it remained.

So I bought it; it seemed a bit rude not to.

Elsewhere there's a thread about bang for the buck; well, this cost 219 quid plus a very few pounds more for shipping. For that I've got Yamaha design and build quality, a genuinely fabulous neck and great pickups....to which someone has appended an East Uni Pre running at 18v with series/parallel and active/passive switches, and some Grover lightweight tuners.. All the work has obviously been done by an extremely competent pro luthier and it has a brilliant set-up straight out of the bubblewrap...

That is £219 for a complete gem of a bass with some outstanding upgrades and that, my dear Basschat colleagues, is bang for the buck.

20200509_192705.jpg

You jammy ÷=/_€#@€/$@ 😂

Nice purchase! Very well done,give me call if you want to move it on! 😁

On 11/05/2020 at 14:42, Muzz said:

Oooooog...thanks for the info, it's not looking good, though...I don't fancy buying a 2024 and having to fork out again to have the neck reprofiled...I might just get Jon Shuker to make me a neck to my normal profile for the 414...

If it helps, the 5 string version has a profile that is fairly un-chunky for a 5 string , if you see what I mean.

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

If it helps, the 5 string version has a profile that is fairly un-chunky for a 5 string , if you see what I mean.

Yeah - that's very true and perhaps a bit weird that the 5 string Yammy BBs have such playable necks, compared to some of their chunkier necked 4 string brethren.

23 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Hello Yamaha BB fans,

Just a quick question: Does anyone have any insight info on the possible Peter Hook Yamaha signature bass (maybe a remake of the BB 1200S)? Just came to my mind after watching him DJing at the Hacienda House Party (Livestream) two days ago.

Cheers!

789300672_YamahaPeterHook.thumb.jpg.0a768cb5c41843fbbbf7d5b42733365e.jpg 

The release has been put back until later this year.  Jack Bates spoke about it a couple of weeks ago. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Great news. I hope it will look like the one in the photo I posted. I am already saving money 😎

Yes it will.... shame Hooky didn't have the pictures on him at the time.... can't wait for all the promotional pictures and spec to come out.... 

Hopefully still got the Hooky pro 6 before it comes out...

• Like 1

I'd never played a Yamaha bass until yesterday, when I received a BB 1204x in exchange for an Ibby six string I had been trying to sell for some time. 

Played along to a couple of my usual live Grateful Dead CDs yesterday afternoon and it sounds and feels good. No idea where it fits in the Yamaha hierarchy, but it's a decent bass.

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I'd never played a Yamaha bass until yesterday, when I received a BB 1204 1024x in exchange for an Ibby six string I had been trying to sell for some time. 

Played along to a couple of my usual live Grateful Dead CDs yesterday afternoon and it sounds and feels good. No idea where it fits in the Yamaha hierarchy, but it's a decent bass.

Fixed re. the model number and welcome to the Yammy club. About time.

It's a mighty fine axe you have there in your hands Mr Finn Dave! It's the penultimate top of the range for the 'Series 2' Yammys which were superseded by the Series 3 in 2017 (which prompted the start of this thread!). I have the 5 string version and it's just an excellent bass - IMO there isn't another passive 5 string PJ to touch it for anything close to its price range  - other than its successor the BB435!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I'd never played a Yamaha bass until yesterday, when I received a BB 1204x in exchange for an Ibby six string I had been trying to sell for some time. 

Upper middle - very nice basses. I had one for a few months, which is a miracle for me...

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

Upper middle - very nice basses. I had one for a few months, which is a miracle for me...

I'm hoping to hang on to it for a bit longer, but my record's not too good either! I've swapped both of my six strings for ivory white Jazz style basses, pure by co-incidence. 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Fixed re. the model number and welcome to the Yammy club. About time.

It's a mighty fine axe you have there in your hands Mr Finn Dave! It's the penultimate top of the range for the 'Series 2' Yammys which were superseded by the Series 3 in 2017 (which prompted the start of this thread!). I have the 5 string version and it's just an excellent bass - IMO there isn't another passive 5 string PJ to touch it for anything close to its price range.

The model number was a typo, honest guv!

Just played it at home (obviously!) so far, but it was going through my small rig (Rootmaster 800 & Super Compact) and sounded good - pretty much what I'd expect a PJ style to sound like, chunkier than a Jazz but a bit brighter than a Precision. 

I wasn't looking for one (wasn't even aware of them) but was offered it as an exchange on here and everything fell into place. The seller is an excellent chap, both basses were collected from their old homes on Monday and delivered to their new owners on Tuesday morning. And it seems we are both happy - couldn't be better.

My 'bass space' is now full, with one for every day of the week. Any more basses now means one has to go or I need to make structural alterations to the house!

1 minute ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Cool stuff. Golden bridge. Nice combination of gold/red/black. It lacks a knob (in comparison to the other photos). Does it have a stacked volume/tone pot?

Actually four seems to be the "right" number of knobs - the pic that Andy posted has the same number (and shape) as the BB 735A i.e. 5 which is appropriate with both P & J pups, but this new model is purely a reverse P.

8 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Cool stuff. Golden bridge. Nice combination of gold/red/black. It lacks a knob (in comparison to the other photos). Does it have a stacked volume/tone pot?

I pretty sure the bridge wasn't gold, probably the lights reflecting off the metal work.  

I'd say it's using the standard knob set up from the 734a less the pot for the bridge pick up. The passive tone control is the same knob as the active treble when in passive mode....

• Like 2