Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

3 hours ago, Zolko said:

,that's why I'm looking for a BB1024x. 
But for now for testing the shape of the body, the neck this 424 is really good. And I hope there will be a 1024x for sale in the near future.:D

Saw one on FB a few days ago. Burst finish. . Been trying to find it again but its not showing. 

26 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Saw one on FB a few days ago. Burst finish. . Been trying to find it again but its not showing. 

That was probably the one I mentioned. It would've been in the Chester area and the ad said something about Matt Bascetta from House of Tone doing some work on it. If it was it sold pretty quick, I was keeping an eye on it. 🙂

6 minutes ago, Maude said:

That was probably the one I mentioned. It would've been in the Chester area and the ad said something about Matt Bascetta from House of Tone doing some work on it. If it was it sold pretty quick, I was keeping an eye on it. 🙂

Chester rings a bell, so yeah, might have been that one. Was most tempted myself but after having a 435 for a bit I’d get a 434 if i was going for another Yamaha. 

I just spent about 15mins looking for it but couldn’t see it anywhere. Thought i might have imagined it. 

• Like 1

It would've been a good one I'd have thought as well. I bought the bass in my avatar from the seller and he was one of the genuine good guys. He sent the bass from Chester to Cornwall for free, accepted Paypal fees and accepted my offer of £100 under his asking price, answered any question and sent loads of photos before the deal was done. If it was white I'd have probably bought it, I was surprised at the price, £400, or is that what they go for now? 

Just now, dave_bass5 said:

Sounds like a real gent.

Oh yeah, white would have been great. i though £400 was pretty good for that bass. What I’m not keen on is the ‘X’ factor, the plates. Prefer the look of the standard versions. 

Think @lee650 was thinking of moving his gorgeous 424 on. If I was more flush, I’d have it off him. Not sure if he had second thoughts.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Al Krow said:

All the extras on the 1024x you've mentioned are definitely nice to haves (as is the better looking bridge piece on the 5 string versions). But for me the biggest difference in sound is down to the pups. 

The 424 pups carry a serious punch! Whereas the 1024's are more civilised and harmonically richer sounding. I really love my 1025, but enjoyed having my BB 425s (I sold the first one and regretted it, so replaced it with another which also ended up in the possession of a fellow BCer). 

Anyway you're right, white is best colour for Yammy BBs 😁

If I get a white x version,  it is possible that I will keep both :biggrin:

16 hours ago, Zolko said:

I have a lots of basses but I don't have a PJ. I wanted a passive PJ and I read a lots of things about features: spline joint body, 45° bodythrough strings and so on and I think these are better than another bass in the same price range. 

Of course the 424 doesn't have spline joint body and 5 piece maple-mahogany neck (maple-nato as I know), that's why I'm looking for a BB1024x. 
But for now for testing the shape of the body, the neck this 424 is really good. And I hope there will be a 1024x for sale in the near future.:D

The 1024x also has a Maple/Nato neck, only the uber expensive 2024 series has maple/mahogany. I owned a 424 and a 1025x for a while,and they arn't thst far apart in terms of quality(I sold the 1025x and kept the 424 though)  I've even recently played a 2024 and I realise now why they discontinued all three of those series and there wasn't much between all of them. You can feel that there is a big difference in the build quality, but soundwise they are very close. 

I'm not keen on the current 434 etc lineup, they have made big differences between the models. I also don't like the look, they have gone more Fender than the classic Yamaha look, thst was used in the 414/424/1024 series.

As  Andy stated though, I am moving on a few things as I've got the bug for a vintage P bass 🙄

Edited by lee650

56 minutes ago, lee650 said:

The 1024x also has a Maple/Nato neck, only the uber expensive 2024 series has maple/mahogany. I owned a 424 and a 1025x for a while,and they arn't thst far apart in terms of quality(I sold the 1025x and kept the 424 though)  I've even recently played a 2024 and I realise now why they discontinued all three of those series and there wasn't much between all of them. You can feel that there is a big difference in the build quality, but soundwise they are very close. 

I'm not keen on the current 434 etc lineup, they have made big differences between the models. I also don't like the look, they have gone more Fender than the classic Yamaha look, thst was used in the 414/424/1024 series.

As  Andy stated though, I am moving on a few things as I've got the bug for a vintage P bass 🙄

I'm still GASing for a white 2024/x, but I'm unsure about the neck profile. As you've played both, is there a difference in neck profile between to 1024 and the 2024? FWIW, I found the 1024 a bit too chunky for me, the 414 I have at the moment is better...

Edited by Muzz

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

I'm still GASing for a white 2024/x, but I'm unsure about the neck profile. As you've played both, is there a difference in neck profile between to 1024 and the 2024? FWIW, I found the 1024 a bit too chunky for me, the 414 I have at the moment is better...

Sorry Muzz

I had the 1025x so I haven't tried 1024.

I loved the neck on the 1025 as i found it gad a nice wide spacing a shallow C profile and a Very flat fongerboard radius which I love.

The 424 and 2024 had similar necks which I found to be very similar to my Musicman Sterling, which is a kind of chunky jazz neck (similar to 70s jazz) slim but more of a shallow D, it's a very comfortable profile indeed, I love the neck on my 424.

• 2 weeks later...

This particular thread seems to have gone a bit quiet recently.

Anyhow, just for the sake of completeness if for no other reason, ardent folliwers of the thread may remember this bass, mentioned several million posts earlier on. There was speculation about what it might be and whether it might be worth the asking price....

I looked at it a few times, bobbing there on the ocean of eBay, apparently becalmed...

I don't much like wine-coloured instruments...I've had lots of 5s, including several Yamahas, and never kept them, I wasn't after anything and anyway I was sure it would disappear quick....

But there it remained.

So I bought it; it seemed a bit rude not to.

Elsewhere there's a thread about bang for the buck; well, this cost 219 quid plus a very few pounds more for shipping. For that I've got Yamaha design and build quality, a genuinely fabulous neck and great pickups....to which someone has appended an East Uni Pre running at 18v with series/parallel and active/passive switches, and some Grover lightweight tuners.. All the work has obviously been done by an extremely competent pro luthier and it has a brilliant set-up straight out of the bubblewrap...

That is £219 for a complete gem of a bass with some outstanding upgrades and that, my dear Basschat colleagues, is bang for the buck.

20200509_192705.jpg

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, CPCustomdubwise said:

This particular thread seems to have gone a bit quiet recently.

Anyhow, just for the sake of completeness if for no other reason, ardent folliwers of the thread may remember this bass, mentioned several million posts earlier on. There was speculation about what it might be and whether it might be worth the asking price....

I looked at it a few times, bobbing there on the ocean of eBay, apparently becalmed...

I don't much like wine-coloured instruments...I've had lots of 5s, including several Yamahas, and never kept them, I wasn't after anything and anyway I was sure it would disappear quick....

But there it remained.

So I bought it; it seemed a bit rude not to.

Elsewhere there's a thread about bang for the buck; well, this cost 219 quid plus a very few pounds more for shipping. For that I've got Yamaha design and build quality, a genuinely fabulous neck and great pickups....to which someone has appended an East Uni Pre running at 18v with series/parallel and active/passive switches, and some Grover lightweight tuners.. All the work has obviously been done by an extremely competent pro luthier and it has a brilliant set-up straight out of the bubblewrap...

That is £219 for a complete gem of a bass with some outstanding upgrades and that, my dear Basschat colleagues, is bang for the buck.

20200509_192705.jpg

You've essentially paid for an East Uni Pre and they've thrown in a bloody nice bass with it.

• Like 1

Andy - exactly right....though the little label on the back of the headstock has gone it describes itself thus in the neck pocket, along with it's YOB; 2005.

Al....well, after a bout of reckless experimentalism at the outset I have been using it passive, and, as you will be aware, like that it sounds great;  The East pre is an amazing thing but when I pushed every parameter when first trying it I soon realised that I'll take a while to use it in a nuanced way rather than just overdoing everything....so I'll get back to you once I have.

The 18v certainly does provide plenty of oomph....

The neck is the revelation; I have owned various Yamaha BBNs, plus Warwick, Tobias, Status and various other 5s, and this is the nicest 5er neck I have experienced. The closest was a Stingray and I seriously prefer this one.

• Like 3

On 29/04/2020 at 11:19, Muzz said:

I have never played a 1024x, but I have got a 2024x and it must be said that the neck profile is pretty chunky so the 1024X  you tried may well be very similar in profile  if not the same. I still find it perfectly playable though, and I have got fairly small hands/short fingers. 

Oooooog...thanks for the info, it's not looking good, though...I don't fancy buying a 2024 and having to fork out again to have the neck reprofiled...I might just get Jon Shuker to make me a neck to my normal profile for the 414...

Hi Guys,
I made a short sound sample with 2 guitars, with a more expensive bass and with the Yammy 424x.

I would like to listen this sound file and compare the 2 sounds. If I play the bass I feel the shape of the body I feel the resonance of the body and the neck, I can see the the guitar. It is not an objective comparison.
But I would like to make an objective comparison, that's why I made this sound sample. And just for fun :D
Both have Elixir 45-105 strings,  just plugged into the Scarlett Solo 2nd, no amp simulation, just the dry line signal. 

The specs of the 2 basses are absolultely different, but the sounds are not so far from each other. I can hear the difference, but to tell you the truth, I can't hear the 1000-1300€ difference between the 2 sounds.

What do you think, which is which?
Wich one is the better?

part 1: bass#1 finger
part 2: bass#2 finger
part 3: bass#1 pick
part 4: bass#2 pick

• Like 1

Hello Yamaha BB fans,

Just a quick question: Does anyone have any insight info on the possible Peter Hook Yamaha signature bass (maybe a remake of the BB 1200S)? Just came to my mind after watching him DJing at the Hacienda House Party (Livestream) two days ago.

Cheers!

789300672_YamahaPeterHook.thumb.jpg.0a768cb5c41843fbbbf7d5b42733365e.jpg 

• Like 2