Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I think that's very fair and a great way of deciding whether the BB NE2 is going to be worth spending some serious coin on or not.

The issue of remembering what the sweet spot settings on analogue pedals (without presets available on digital pedals) is an age old one and plenty of folk deal with this by putting some markers on their pedals.

If you thought the NE1 was tricksy, I would wager the VT Bass DI is be even more so - really liked what ead has done with some simple markers on his: 

image.png.6bb6f0e9fbf260991b8fe4f46cac00da.png

Yeah I get that, especially with pedals, but I'm talking about the NE1 when installed on a bass here (as that's the only experience I've had of it); if someone has dropped several thousand quid on a BBNE2, are they really going to want to stick strips of tape all over the front of it or Mark it with a paint marker? Should they have to? I feel its a rare poor design decision on Yamahas part, it would have been easy to make a lot more user friendly. 

8 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Yeah I get that, especially with pedals, but I'm talking about the NE1 when installed on a bass here (as that's the only experience I've had of it); if someone has dropped several thousand quid on a BBNE2, are they really going to want to stick strips of tape all over the front of it or Mark it with a paint marker? Should they have to? I feel its a rare poor design decision on Yamahas part, it would have been easy to make a lot more user friendly. 

Yeah - I totally get that.

But methinks it can be done pretty subtly and professional in appearance with some adhesive micro dots. That could actually be very useful for both a couple of my basses and several pedals! Now why didn't I think of that before? - clearly you've inspired me to get my thinking cap on with this discussion! Time to go hunting on the net - if any of you get there before me / are using already, please do share!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah - I totally get that.

But methinks it can be done pretty subtly and professional in appearance with some adhesive micro dots. That could actually be very useful for both a couple of my basses and several pedals! Now why didn't I think of that before? - clearly you've inspired me to get my thinking cap on with this discussion! Time to go hunting on the net - if any of you get there before me / are using already, please do share!

Good thinking batman! Better still glow in the dark micro dots! 😉👌

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRBboy said:

That mid freq selector is hugely versatile...A fractional turn of the knob changes the tone completely

Picking up on one comment from your earlier post (albeit just the good bits!) - I think you've summed up in a sentence the key benefit for that NE pre-amp on the BB NE2.

Just need to work out a way of putting that versatility to controlled use rather than it being an annoying negative. But I think, between us, we've identified a very cheap and professional looking solution!

@TRBboy - this is what I've managed to come up with from a web search this morning. Not fluorescent, but should otherwise do the job!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I actually replaced the Smiths with the Spector.  But I ripped out the EMG's as I don't like them in basses and put some custom Wizards in instead, wiring the coils in each pickup in parallel. So now the Spector sounds more like a Smith but with a bit more midrange. (Although now I know the bloke who makes Smith pickups so could go back to him for an OEM set if I thought that might make much of a difference.)

Do you use the mid cut much?  I have to admit that I didn't find mid cut very helpful on stage when I was gigging.

I thought I’d just jump back in on this as the previous owner of the Krow BBNE2: I found I really struggled with the sound of the bass without the scoop EQ engaged. Even just having it turned on, but not dialled all the way up seemed to work for me, whereas without it, I felt the pickups had a LOT of hi-mid, to the extend that it just sounded too harsh. Without the EQ and with Dunlop super bright strings, the BBNE2 is a very mid heavy bass, especially for a jazz! T

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TJ Spicer said:

I thought I’d just jump back in on this as the previous owner of the Krow BBNE2: I found I really struggled with the sound of the bass without the scoop EQ engaged. Even just having it turned on, but not dialled all the way up seemed to work for me, whereas without it, I felt the pickups had a LOT of hi-mid, to the extend that it just sounded too harsh. Without the EQ and with Dunlop super bright strings, the BBNE2 is a very mid heavy bass, especially for a jazz! T

Tyler - yeah my default setting is also to have the NE EQ engaged as you say, whether fully dialled or partially scooped. I've not given it quite such a careful analysis as to what it's like without as per your post, but I guess I won't be disagreeing given it's the same bass!

Be good to get @pete.young's views on the NE2 too, as he's had his a lot longer than I've had your former bass.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Oh and if you think the NE2 EQ gives you too much choice, then definitely steer clear of Status S3 parametrix! 😁

image.png.0bcd9a80b5d23c1b7cdc8bfcd06e119f.png

Heh, I have a three band semi parametric eq on the Spector and my self built bass.

8 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Heh, I have a three band semi parametric eq on the Spector and my self built bass.

Sounds to me like you're sorted then! I'm not convinced you'll find a BB NE2 very different to your Spector, what with the contoured body shape, neck through design, big low end etc. 

In fact, I did briefly think about moving my NE2 on after I got my Euro LX5, for the above reasons, and your Spector will be even closer to an NE2 with its semi para 3 band EQ than mine is. 

1 hour ago, TJ Spicer said:

I know it's a signature model and that's what Mr East wanted but it sounds like without engaging the 'scoop' it lacks some versatility? Was that a deciding factor on moving it on or was it simply a box ticked and moving on to other esoteric basses to try out ...cause you've had a few man! :)

I understand that one good bass tone, the sweet spot setting, would cover a whole gig be that the BBNE or a P bass but sometimes all the additional EQ and twiddling can get in the way. I was asked to dep for a friends band and some of the feedback I got was the last dep kept fiddling with the tone controls on his bass the whole gig (and wasn't invited back) you just plugged in and played. I took a jazz bass with me as their regular bassist played one and I thought give them what they're familiar with which might have helped though to be fair I don't own an active bass!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, krispn said:

I understand that one good bass tone, the sweet spot setting, would cover a whole gig be that the BBNE or a P bass but sometimes all the additional EQ and twiddling can get in the way. I was asked to dep for a friends band and some of the feedback I got was the last dep kept fiddling with the tone controls on his bass the whole gig (and wasn't invited back) you just plugged in and played. I took a jazz bass with me as their regular bassist played one and I thought give them what they're familiar with which might have helped though to be fair I don't own an active bass!

Very much where I'm landing with pedals in discussions with some fellow BC'ers - a zillion different options per pedal are not needed on the typical covers gigs. Need to find the settings that work and "set and forget".

Where I can see a lot of optionality being useful would be for:

i) home / studio creative use;

ii) original band work, but I'm speaking here from a completely theoretical stand point, not really having been in an originals band since my youth (and once briefly since then but a long while back) when I pretended to be the guitarist!

With EQ settings, however, in a typical covers set you're typically going to want a different EQ set up for each of motown, rock and slap and the key is to be able to make quick, easy and accurate transition for each. Two of the three are pretty easy to do on a typical Yammy BB just by rolling the tone off and / or adjusting the P / J balance. For more than two - having a scroll-able EQ pedal seems to be a good solution.

Edited by Al Krow

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Sounds to me like you're sorted then! I'm not convinced you'll find a BB NE2 very different to your Spector, what with the contoured body shape, neck through design, big low end etc. 

In fact, I did briefly think about moving my NE2 on after I got my Euro LX5, for the above reasons, and your Spector will be even closer to an NE2 with its semi para 3 band EQ than mine is. 

It's almost too much if I'm honest.  Once the sweet spots for each band have been found, it's pretty much set and forget.  So trim pots for frequency centres in the back of the bass, (like Alembic use for their noise filters) adjustable with a small crosshead screwdriver would do the trick probably.  Also the middle band isn't narrow enough for my taste despite Klaus doing his best.

4 hours ago, krispn said:

I know it's a signature model and that's what Mr East wanted but it sounds like without engaging the 'scoop' it lacks some versatility? Was that a deciding factor on moving it on or was it simply a box ticked and moving on to other esoteric basses to try out ...cause you've had a few man! :)

A few factors in moving it on! 

1) There’s a lot of finish on the bass and I had a yin yang standard at the same time which was a satin type finish, and I loved the feel and resonance of that bass. The BBNE2 didn’t have that same feel. 

2) The bridge drove me nuts, I don’t know if I was just setting it up badly, but I found if I played near enough to the bridge the individual saddles would move and cause the note to choke.

3) There was a top end that I struggled to control in a way that I found satisfactory.

4) I just discovered that through neck construction just doesn’t work for me.

I learnt a lot from the BBNE2 in terms of what I really did and didn’t like from and instrument. It was my go-to bass for most of two years and it was as versatile as it needs to be. It always punched through a mix, and never got buried. Plenty of solid bass and definition.

But, it was never quite my sound, and I’d always bought it as a place holder for my “session 5” whilst I searched for a PJ5 Sadowsky in Olympic white. If it had been a more organic finish on the neck, a different bridge system, and had a passive tone option, I think it would still be with me. I’ve always wondered how I would have felt if I’d put Aguilar electronics in it, but a bass of that price just needs to go to someone else who’s happier with it, rather than me start trying to tweak it.

If I remember, both it, and the Fodera, were the basses that made way for my MTD AG5, which fills the role of both and combines many of their attributes (and removes the features I disliked of both basses) into one that I’m much, much happier with! 

Finally - totally agree on the not tweaking too much. The thing I often get told after shows on Dep gigs is “sounds like bass should sound”, and “fat and warm sounding”. That’s normally a bass boost of whatever EQ is on the bass, and then tweaking treble or tone control as needed. The rest is just right hand position and a little shift of front pickup to back pickup blend depending on style.  

That was longer than intended! 😅😂

39 minutes ago, TJ Spicer said:

A few factors in moving it on! 

1) There’s a lot of finish on the bass and I had a yin yang standard at the same time which was a satin type finish, and I loved the feel and resonance of that bass. The BBNE2 didn’t have that same feel. 

2) The bridge drove me nuts, I don’t know if I was just setting it up badly, but I found if I played near enough to the bridge the individual saddles would move and cause the note to choke.

3) There was a top end that I struggled to control in a way that I found satisfactory.

Now he tells me! 😂😂

I'm gonna be looking particularly closely at them bridge saddles next time I'm playing near the bridge...😉

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Now he tells me! 😂😂

I'm gonna be looking particularly closely at them bridge saddles next time I'm playing near the bridge...😉

You’re ready to move onto a Sadowsky now, so you won’t have too long to be driven crazy by it 😉 To be honest, I just assumed it was a me problem given I’ve got seen anything else on it online, but I’m ready to be proved wrong! 🙏🏻

Edited by TJ Spicer

11 minutes ago, TJ Spicer said:

You’re ready to move onto a Sadowsky now, so you won’t have too long to be driven crazy by it 😉 To be honest, I just assumed it was a me problem given I’ve got seen anything else on it online, but I’m ready to be proved wrong! 🙏🏻

Just had a play near the bridge and clearly the chap who had it in between you and I must have set it up differently (better? 😁) - the bridge poles are rock solid and notes sustain very well, as you would expect with a neck through.

And actually the mid heavy nature you mentioned a few posts back with NE mid sweep off, is fairly easily dealt with by just cutting the main mid EQ a touch; and on that basis I would be very comfortable with playing the bass without the NE mid sweep engaged.

So all is still well in the Krow household this evening...PHEW!! 

It is funny, isn't it, how the exact same bass can find different wrinkles and reactions from different bass players? E.g. the BB735A you took off my hands was one I just couldn't gel with, but methinks you had it set up better than I managed and consequently coaxed a better sound from it than I ever did.

@HazBeen will be along shortly to say it's all in the fingers... 

Edited by Al Krow

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Just had a play near the bridge and clearly the chap who had it in between you and I must have set it up differently (better? 😁) - the bridge poles are rock solid and notes sustain very well, as you would expect with a neck through.

And actually the mid heavy nature you mentioned a few posts back with NE mid sweep off, is fairly easily dealt with by just cutting the main mid EQ a touch; and on that basis I would be very comfortable with playing the bass without the NE mid sweep engaged.

It is funny, isn't it, how the exact same bass can find different wrinkles and reactions from different bass players? E.g. the BB735A you took off my hands was one I just couldn't gel with, but methinks you had it set up better than I managed and consequently coaxed a better sound from it than I ever did.

It’s all in the fingers.... 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Indeed! I like my action pretty high by most players standards, so the saddles were fairly “up in the air” compared to how I imagine most players would have it, which I doubt helped. I also probably made a habit of playing very fast Jaco lines very close to the bridge (as it was when I was studying that I owned the BBNE) and that no doubt exacerbated my perception. I think once I knew it could happen, I’d perceive any time it happened as much worse. 

My TRB6PII had the same bridge saddles, but they sat lower and I never had that problem, so it probably was the height. But I didn’t like the NE2 super low for the styles I played on it in general. I did play a TRB6JPII the Nathan has played at Ronnie Scott’s and he likes his action super low, as in, I’d never played anything quite that low. That probably enhances the fact that the BBNE2 just wasn’t really the bass for me! 

You’re right, I really dug that 735A and was amazed at the value it offered - all in the hands, and subsequently the ears! 

Edited by TJ Spicer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everybody,

I'm new in the club. I bought a Yamaha BB424x on saturday. This is my first BB. 
I played just 1-2 hours with it but this is really good. 
The plan was a white BB1024x, but as rare as a hen's teeth. :)

yammy424x.jpg

• Like 7

I have a lots of basses but I don't have a PJ. I wanted a passive PJ and I read a lots of things about features: spline joint body, 45° bodythrough strings and so on and I think these are better than another bass in the same price range. 

Of course the 424 doesn't have spline joint body and 5 piece maple-mahogany neck (maple-nato as I know), that's why I'm looking for a BB1024x. 
But for now for testing the shape of the body, the neck this 424 is really good. And I hope there will be a 1024x for sale in the near future.:D

• Like 1

Guest Corto14
32 minutes ago, Zolko said:

I have a lots of basses but I don't have a PJ. I wanted a passive PJ and I read a lots of things about features: spline joint body, 45° bodythrough strings and so on and I think these are better than another bass in the same price range. 

Of course the 424 doesn't have spline joint body and 5 piece maple-mahogany neck (maple-nato as I know), that's why I'm looking for a BB1024x. 
But for now for testing the shape of the body, the neck this 424 is really good. And I hope there will be a 1024x for sale in the near future.:D

This store has a bb1024 on sale
But it is located in Italy, so maybe could be a problem for you
Anyway...

https://www.centrochitarre.com/bassi/elettrici/yamaha-bb-1024-tobacco-brown-sunburst.html

1 hour ago, Zolko said:

All the extras on the 1024x you've mentioned are definitely nice to haves (as is the better looking bridge piece on the 5 string versions). But for me the biggest difference in sound is down to the pups. 

The 424 pups carry a serious punch! Whereas the 1024's are more civilised and harmonically richer sounding. I really love my 1025, but enjoyed having my BB 425s (I sold the first one and regretted it, so replaced it with another which also ended up in the possession of a fellow BCer). 

Anyway you're right, white is best colour for Yammy BBs 😁

Edited by Al Krow