Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

5 minutes ago, TJ Spicer said:

I’m almost definitely going to compare the two when the Warwick builds are available - and it’ll undoubtedly end up on my YT channel.

That’s the thing I always find so difficult with Sadowskys, finding the right colours outside of custom. Took me 5 years for a PJ5 in Olympic white to come up! Worth the wait - though the BB735a did admirably in the ‘5 string PJ’ space in the arsenal! 

I could just buy the uv70 for sale here and book a respray at a later date.

4 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I could just buy the uv70 for sale here and book a respray at a later date.

I used my UV70 on a session the other day and it sounded great (it always does!). The UV70 was the bass that created the Sadowsky fanatic in me - I was sold the moment I plugged it in (and I was 14/15 at the time!). Again it was between that and a 2024x. The long term struggle between Yamaha and Sadowsky is a repeated theme throughout my bass playing career 😂

I do believe that Jon Willis (aka Dr Tone) is using a Yammy Attitude on many of his clips. Just wondering whether this Geddy Lee preset on Helix is going to render my recently acquired VT Bass DI somewhat otiose?

Edited by Al Krow

15 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I do believe that Jon Willis (aka Dr Tone) is using a Yammy Attitude on many of his clips. Just wondering whether this Geddy Lee preset on Helix is going to render my recently acquired VT Bass DI somewhat otiose?

Where might one acquire the details of this preset/settings? I neeeeeeed to have it...

If anyone's interested, bit more progress over the past couple of days. Rushed to get the last coat of laquer on before it got dark, and I don't know if I've buggered it up a bit though.... 😬 We'll see in the morning! 🤞

IMG_20200324_150414.jpg

IMG_20200324_234404.jpg

IMG_20200325_130345.jpg

IMG_20200325_160715.jpg

IMG-20200325-WA0003.jpeg

Edited by TRBboy
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to putting my BBN5 back together last night, the pickguard still needs finishing and fitting properly, headstock decal needs doing, soldering electronics and a general setup and clean, but I think it's looking pretty bloody good! 

Quite chuffed tbh. 😊

IMG_20200405_231131.jpg

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Finally got around to putting my BBN5 back together last night, the pickguard still needs finishing and fitting properly, headstock decal needs doing, soldering electronics and a general setup and clean, but I think it's looking pretty bloody good! 

Quite chuffed tbh. 😊

IMG_20200405_231131.jpg

Very nice

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Good job!! 👍 

Are those the original knobs? Just wondering whether a more trad black and white would sit better with the black pups and your PG?

image.png.7aab87d49cf3061687f29e775f16da95.png

Thanks! No, the original knobs were gold. I ordered a cream pickguard and cream knobs, thinking it would all match beautifully, but clearly they're nowhere near! 😂 It'll do for now, I might think about getting some white knobs instead though, would be closer to the pickguard colour than these. 

1 hour ago, TRBboy said:

Quite chuffed tbh. 😊

IMG_20200405_231131.jpg

Nice job. 

2 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Quite chuffed tbh. 😊

IMG_20200405_231131.jpg

Very nice. Needs tort 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, therealting said:

Very nice. Needs tort 😉

You can have the tort PG from the recent PJ addition to my herd (it's my "active Yammy BB") - I'm already fancying something a bit different and a bit less...er well...less tort 😁

Sire MM II.jpg

• Haha 1

Hey guys! Finally did the finishing bits on my BBN5 yesterday, really pleased with it overall! Not quite sure what to do about a headstock decal yet, or maybe just leave as is. Maybe one of the 3d roundals off the newer BB's would look good? 

IMG_20200412_172202.jpg

IMG_20200412_172234.jpg

IMG_20200412_172251.jpg

IMG_20200412_172338.jpg

IMG_20200412_172358.jpg

IMG_20200412_172419.jpg

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

Neat job! What is the paint? Looks a wee bit like Tuff Cab.

I wanted this sort of colour all along, in a matt finish, but it was quite hard to find. I ended up taking a bit of a gamble and getting some graffiti paint! It's the Montana Black range, loads of colour options and it went on really nicely! It's a nitro-combination paint. Spayed a few coats on and then a few coats of matt polyurethane laquer to protect it. Seems to have worked pretty well! 

Edited by TRBboy
  • Like 3

Forgot to say... I was watching a Hooky & Jack Bates live Q&A last week and the question regarding his new signature bass was asked several times. Jack said it was supposed to be released now ish but had to be put back due to the current pandemic.  Soooooo.... new Yamaha Hooky  bass (BB1200S) later in the year.  Excellent! 

4 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

No longer a member of this club...sold my BBN4 11 recently...how can they build such good basses for the money???

Are "Fender" stickers expensive to produce? If not, how do they charge so much more for basses of, IMO, lesser quality?

Ah Mick, if you read the small print it says the club is open to all current and former owners of Yamaha BBs, so I think you have lifetime membership and will always be very welcome! 

Congrats on getting yours away, particularly during lockdown! 

On 13/04/2020 at 13:52, TRBboy said:

I wanted this sort of colour all along, in a matt finish, but it was quite hard to find. I ended up taking a bit of a gamble and getting some graffiti paint! It's the Montana Black range, loads of colour options and it went on really nicely! It's a nitro-combination paint. Spayed a few coats on and then a few coats of matt polyurethane laquer to protect it. Seems to have worked pretty well! 

I’ll check these guys out for paint if I decide to redo my ‘tweaker’ bass!