Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

13 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Thanks!

I have a chance to pick up a BB434 for a good price. I've wanted a passive PJ bass with J style neck for ages and this looks like it fits the bill. 

8 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

Thanks!

I have a chance to pick up a BB434 for a good price. I've wanted a passive PJ bass with J style neck for ages and this looks like it fits the bill. 

Excellent! And if @jrixn1 still has a picture of his 434 with a tort PG he can show you just how great these can also look! 

2 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

For a Precision type sound, how well does the BB do? 

I made those video comparisons. Many people seem to prefer the p bass on just the p pickup sound, even the people in this thread which surprised me a little. It seems most folks prefer the BB with both pickups on instead as the ”go to” BB sound.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

For a Precision type sound, how well does the BB do? 

I've not tried the BB434, but the BB414 and BB424 don't quite nail that Precision tone for me. I imagine that with it's regular sized pickups, with a set of Fender '62 pickups in it, a BB434 would sound very close

54 minutes ago, MoJo said:

I've not tried the BB434, but the BB414 and BB424 don't quite nail that Precision tone for me. I imagine that with it's regular sized pickups, with a set of Fender '62 pickups in it, a BB434 would sound very close

The potential trade off is of course that the sound with both pickups on will be different then, as well. Someone should try!

I noticed last night as i was playing my BB425 that ive strung it through body, which is what i normally do. It struck me that i wasn't taking advantage of the extended B part of the bridge.

Just wondered if anyone had compared the two methods of stringing the B string and if there is an advantage to stringing through bridge.

Edited by dave_bass5

On 06/03/2020 at 10:08, MoJo said:

There's definitely some difference, the Alnico V pickups in the newer series have a much cosier, organic tone to them than the ceramic ones in the 41x/42x ranges. That said, they're still pretty hot! But by adjusting pickup height you could probably ease the output off a bit. 

23 hours ago, TRBboy said:

There's definitely some difference, the Alnico V pickups in the newer series have a much cosier, organic tone to them than the ceramic ones in the 41x/42x ranges. That said, they're still pretty hot! But by adjusting pickup height you could probably ease the output off a bit. 

My BBP34 is actually slightly lower than my fender 60s in output with the same pickup height. They are not crazy high output compared to typical p basses.

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ive just received my BB435. First impressions are very good. Fit and finish seem to be good (always a worry), and the weight is 9lbs.

I love the dark burst finish. I can see me using this much more than my P34. I guess Ill sell the 425 at some point.

Congrats! Get some pics of your Yammy herd done Mr Bass 5. 

9 lbs is a very good weight! 

• Like 1

Ill sort something out over the weekend.

Has anyone changed the tuners on a 434/5 bass? I cant see anything wrong with the ones on mine, but id like to get something less shiny, and maybe a touch shorter.

They look like Hipshot HB7's but ill have a measure up when i get home.

• Like 1

Have just picked up a second hand BB pro 34 in midnight blue and holy s**t... it is an absolute monster!

I have owned some incredible basses over the years from the likes of Nordstrand/Lull/Roscoe/Fender CS... this thing smokes them all!

I have never owned a Yamaha bass before... wish I had bought one years ago!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IanA said:

Have just picked up a second hand BB pro 34 in midnight blue and holy s**t... it is an absolute monster!

I have owned some incredible basses over the years from the likes of Nordstrand/Lull/Roscoe/Fender CS... this thing smokes them all!

I have never owned a Yamaha bass before... wish I had bought one years ago!

Congrats - and welcome aboard the Yammy BB club! It can be a slippery (and often inverted) slope once you're on it, but you've started fairly near the top. Did you just pick up the one that was in the FS? 

Having had a P35, I know what you mean: they really are a great bass! What is it about the P34 that you're finding gives it the edge over that bass 'hall of fame' you've just listed?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Congrats - and welcome aboard the Yammy BB club! It can be a slippery (and often inverted) slope once you're on it, but you've started fairly near the top. Did you just pick up the one that was in the FS? 

Having had a P35, I know what you mean: they really are a great bass! What is it about the P34 that you're finding gives it the edge over that bass 'hall of fame' you've just listed?

Hey, 

so yes I bought it from Alain (EAD) and I suspect that it won’t be the last one either...

In terms of what gives it the edge...

Every note pings off the fret board in a way that I have never heard before from a bass. Combined with a really low action that makes for a really expressive instrument with great dynamics. 

Apart from that, it balances really nicely on the strap, is nice and light, has a great neck profile and awesome fit and finish.

Sound wise it is like a Precision on steroids, big fat and juicy! Just how I like em😂

No more GAS this month now!

• Like 1