Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Sweet!

Not sure I've seen one of those in the flesh before. 

MM/P config, fully passive?

Sort of JJ/P - full passive but push/pull on tone pot. Think that’s some clever “extra bass” capacitor or something.

currently still at work as I had to do a house visit on the way home and didn’t want to leave it in the car.

Needs tweaking to taste, and I’ll be binning the strings off (50-110 😟) I have some fresh ones in the house.

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I think it’s a valid thing to do, a £400/£500 bb with a MM set up. A bass in its own right rather than a budget “sterling” by MM.

my two bb’s sit in very high company and hold their own. The 1024x I had was lovely, but I preferred the 414

Every BB I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot) would hold their heads high in the company of much more expensive instruments

Just now, MoJo said:

Every BB I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot) would hold their heads high in the company of much more expensive instruments

I think the bb714bs was the same price as a 1024 ish when new, but it really is just a 414 with a funny pickup layout.

Now plays brilliantly and is acoustically very good. Feels a bit more “direct” than the 414, not sure if that’s these 2 basses having variance or having a great whacking magnet near the neck join adding something.

15 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

I asked him the same. However, I'd love to get a BB with a P pickup and a MM pickup instead of a single. I may mod one...

But the single J is sooooo good!

What's needed is a split coil MM with a selector switch so you can toggle between a J and an MM. And might as well go for a reverse P while you're at it. 

Dammit, it's turning into a Sandberg... 😄 

Now if you could get a Sandberg VM5 pup configuration in a BB with the excellent BB Alnico pups and 3 band EQ for the price of a 735A, we'll you'd be talking! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

But the single J is sooooo good!

What's needed is a split coil MM with a selector switch so you can toggle between a J and an MM. And might as well go for a reverse P while you're at it. 

Dammit, it's turning into a Sandberg... 😄 

Now if you could get a Sandberg VM5 pup configuration in a BB with the excellent BB Alnico pups and 3 band EQ for the price of a 735A, we'll you'd be talking! 

Thought about this over a brew.

Yamaha aren’t going to deviate from their plans.

I think the best option is to allow me to become the head of YGD R&D, I’ll make a load of prototypes to suit Basschat’s requirements.

And then quit.

@Al Krow can you not modify your Sandberg to suit, or buy a second hand 735 and get it modded?

I’m still holding out for a 424x to come up on the cheap so I can implement my plan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

@Al Krow can you not modify your Sandberg to suit, or buy a second hand 735 and get it modded?

I’m still holding out for a 424x to come up on the cheap so I can implement my plan.

My Sandberg TM4 was shown the door in favour of Ibanez and Yamaha basses 18 months back. I'm a Berg free zone for the foreseeable future. 

Used 735A is not a bad shout. I'd not bother putting a reverse P in as that would be a visual mess, but the MM split coil is definitely doable. And worth leaving that thought on the table for anyone wanting a BB with an MM pup. 

I've actually got split coil J/MM on both pups on my Spector which has kinda scratched that particular itch for me. And I have to fess to being ridiculously content with my BB 1025, so I'm kinda sorted :)

8 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Thought about this over a brew.

Yamaha aren’t going to deviate from their plans.

I think the best option is to allow me to become the head of YGD R&D, I’ll make a load of prototypes to suit Basschat’s requirements.

And then quit.

I always knew you were genius - you can imagine the Cuz-Trav sig  model - whatever electronics you want, but in brown, lovely poo brown

Edited by Cuzzie