Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

8 hours ago, chrisgriff said:

My bb1024 neck was definitely chunkier than my 2024 ! 

Oh blimey...there was I, writing the whole project off, and there's a glimmer of hope...you've not still got the 2024, by any chance?

There's a 2024X recently been relisted in the FS. You could maybe ask the seller to take a few pics of the neck profile and neck measurements to further that glimmer of hope? 

Not sure that it's relevant, but I love the neck on my 1025 - it's really very comfortable indeed as a 5er, but I'm assuming the profile of the 4 and 5 string necks are going to be different. 

Not sure pics will help (plus I've just seen that bass is 10lb - if they're all like that it's a dealbreaker for me). I thought the 1024x neck was too chunky - I like verrrry slim necks (which is why 5s will never be for me), but the 414 I can cope with...

Thanks, for the suggestions, tho...I might have a look for a BB3000A, which would do the job, tho it'd be a bit of a stinger, seeing as I sold mine 10 years ago for a lot less money than they're changing hands for these days...

I'm good with the Shukers (in fact, the only 5 I ever owned was a SR505), the BB is more for a being-my-own-tribute-band thing...hence the 'VW only' rule...

If I wasn't already awaiting a Shuker which is in progress, I'd be considering asking him to build a BB-alike...

9 hours ago, Muzz said:

Not sure pics will help (plus I've just seen that bass is 10lb - if they're all like that it's a dealbreaker for me). I thought the 1024x neck was too chunky - I like verrrry slim necks (which is why 5s will never be for me), but the 414 I can cope with...

Thanks, for the suggestions, tho...I might have a look for a BB3000A, which would do the job, tho it'd be a bit of a stinger, seeing as I sold mine 10 years ago for a lot less money than they're changing hands for these days...

My BB3000 didn't have a skinny neck, it was certainly wider than my BB734a. However, It was very shallow back to front. 

Depends what dimension you're referring to as slim, but the 1025/2025 is 2mm shallower than the 1024/2024 front to back:

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/el_basses/bb/specs.html

I was surprised how much fatter the 4 string felt in the hand then the 5! And the 5's have one of the narrowest nuts available in a 5 string at 43mm - although mine appears be closer to 42mm, the same as my 4 string P Bass.

Edited by dannybuoy

56 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

An interesting theme that’s coming up on this thread is that Yamaha make incredible instruments. I think I may have to try one!

Pulling you over to this thread to save de-railing the other one! 

I guess with over 3,000+ posts on this Yammy thread, I'd have to say you're not wrong there! 😁

Can't remember if you're a 4 or 5 string player, but there's some excellent Yammy BBs including a top of the range Yammy BB P34 in the FS currently on for a good price if you're a 4 string player, and a 'budget' 5 string Yammy BB425 which will hold its own with basses several times its price and several in betwixt and between. The more modern BBs are typically PJs...oh yes there's another thread extolling the virtues of those just now! 😊

• Like 2

On 31/12/2019 at 11:19, Muzz said:

Just to chip in with my 2p...I think Yamaha suffered with the pricing of the old 202x series because they were the ultimate 'sleeper' bass: I played one for a good while at Bass Direct when they first came out, and it was the best thing I've played in there when it came to feel and tone. Very very nice indeed - whatever voodoo they were doing, it certainly produced a terrific bass. As we've already said, though, it's hard to distinguish visually between their flagship (IIRC they were about £2400 at first, then dropped to £1600 when retailers started unloading them a year or so later) and their entry level basses some £2k less, and I think this was the problem.

I'm still unsure as to whether to pursue a 2024 (the reunion gig I bought the 414 (and a 1024x) for was a success, and we're playing some bigger gigs next year, so I can justify it), because I still don't know about the neck profile: I sold the 1024x because the 414 had a slimmer neck, and that's become a deal breaker for me over the last few years, and I don't know about the 2024 neck profile vs the 1024. If they're the same, I guess I'll save myself a big chunk of cash, because the 414 is just fine. Back in the day, I had a BB3000A (I'd have another of those, too, but the prices are daft now) and a backup BB300, and I never minded using the 300, as that was a great bass, too...

The 2024 has indeed got a pretty chunky neck but I still find it very playable. FWIW, I think they are fabulous basses and well worth the premium over the 10 Series made in Indonesia. 

Regarding the weight, the X basses are inherently heavier, usually around 9 1/2lbs for a 4 string, 9 3/4 for a 5 string. The non-X version is normally lighter by about half a lb or so.

On 30/01/2020 at 10:32, Muzz said:

The BB3000 was available with 1.1/2" and 1.5/8" nut widths, and the 1.5/8" necks in two thicknesses.  If you want a thin neck look for a BB3000MA (if the fret markers don't put you off) or an Alembic BB3000 (if you can find one).

Had this beauty for a couple of weeks now an almost mint bb2000 with original case and case candy.. I have just restrung her with a set of bass centre peter hook signature elite stadiums .. god she sings 

weirdly I have had a couple of Japanese bb1200s the active ones a red and green one now gone and they weren’t as good as this bass  .. strange as they should be  pretty much the same basses minus the bridge pickup

D811404C-6359-453B-A362-E21F8BDDB7C1.jpeg

0A3EF84B-7529-4229-8BF7-C2516416AB54.jpeg

Edited by Simonsbass
  • Like 4

On 14/02/2020 at 03:47, Kiwi said:

Mr Sklar is having a clear out.  Not everything he has is for sale though, the fretted...useful Yammie TRB's he used in the 90's for example.  But the Peavey TNT 150 wedges he used with them are up for grabs.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=yamaha sklar&ships_to=XX

A TRB4P fretless though? Uber-rare.

4 hours ago, BreadBin said:

I've seen an orange 414 on FB for £100. It's a little 'road worn' but that seems like a decent price? Any thoughts?

Classic buckle rash. Andy T will have a better idea on value of these basses, but assuming the wear & tear is purely the cosmetic stuff shown and nothing more serious impacting playability, I'd suggest that was a bargain!

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Classic buckle rash. Andy T will have a better idea on value of these basses, but assuming the wear & tear is purely the cosmetic stuff shown and nothing more serious impacting playability, I'd suggest that was a bargain!

Looks rough. If it makes sound and plays ok...£100 is ok - but I’d be offering £80

Guest Corto14

Found a bbn5a in "perfect" conditions, the bass looks great and I love the shape. The store sells it for 925€, I don't know if it's a good price or not; your thoughts? 

Very tempted, but the price is high and I don't need another bass 😂

https://www.musicworks.it/mw/YAMAHA-BBN5A-TRANSLUCENT-GREEN-sku-1570876437234

Edited by Corto14