Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

The BB passive sound is just perfect for me!  For my ears, there is a difference between an eq section in the bass and on my amp.  Can't say  why . Maybe it is because a changed setting on the amp has to match the other settings on it. And it is way easier to change things directly on the bass while playing instead of changing settings while standing 2 cm away from the speakers. 
My active bass has active EMG humbuckers and only a treble blend like a passive bass. It sounds kind of dead when played solo without band. But with band it just moves some serious air.... 

Edited by gobasserk

Sick at home...  used the time to compare my BBs . All basses played over the 25watts Hartke combo and with the same preamp sound.
A little unfair...only the 414 and 614 have fresh strings..the difference is obvious.. 1000MA and 3000MA have old(!) strings. 
Both pickups, eq 100% . BB614 no boost, everything below zero-position. Fingerstyle.  Mobile in front of combo on the floor. Sick virus timing 😛 

Headphones recommended !!

Edited by gobasserk
  • Like 3

The BB colour selection has, IMO, been very small and rather uninspired in recent times.

If I had just one wish, it would be to bring back the metallic orange from the BB414.

Beyond this, it would be great to see pastel shades like cream, surf green, pink etc. Colour matched headstocks would be the icing on the cake.

Oh and some tort' pickguards would also be splendid.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Baceface said:

The BB colour selection has, IMO, been very small and rather uninspired in recent times.

If I had just one wish, it would be to bring back the metallic orange from the BB414.

Beyond this, it would be great to see pastel shades like cream, surf green, pink etc. Colour matched headstocks would be the icing on the cake.

Did someone say orange...

(just kidding)

not really! BOOOM ORANGE BB BASS!

40DCB014-77AF-4C22-A6DD-288B7155C6F4.thumb.jpeg.87e84a33f3a68b1f4e93e4271b78a9c0.jpeg

• Like 5

OK, so here's the thing: with some more gigs lined up for the reunion band this year, I'm very seriously considering a 2024x (in VW) as a step up from my 414.

The thing is I don't know is what the neck profile of the 2024 is like compared with the 414, or even the 1024x, which I had and didn't really like all that much, neck-wise.

Anyone have a 2024 they can compare with a 1024 or 414, or indeed anything else? Even better, anyone got a 2024 in the North West I can come and have a quick look at? I played one in Bass Direct when they first came out about 10 years ago, but other than being very impressed with the bass as a whole, I'm banjanxed if I can remember what the neck was like...and I've got a lot more fussy since Jon Shuker started making basses for me with necks to my exact taste...

I realise this is all very theoretical, as second-hand 2024xs in VW come around as often as Halley's Comet, but I'd like to rule one in or out anyway, so I could stop scouring the net for one if the neck's a big 'un...

21 hours ago, Baceface said:

A lot of the posts Yamaha put up for Yamaha artists using the new BB basses show customer shop colours. Red, white, green etc.  maybe they should take note.  

• Like 2