Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

3 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

Not my gusto. There are enough Fenders around, why should I want the bass to look like one? But one may think different! 

Fairy muff - it’s a model that’s been going around 30 years, and I reckon it’s different enough - IMHO one of the top line of Yammy basses

On 18/01/2020 at 09:09, gobasserk said:

That's because I am even older than that bass and a fan of  the org. BB  - no Attitude comes close to Billy's pink BB 😉  And I know not many will share this opinion !  

I loved that bass. It was a bit of test rig for the Attitude bass that followed and one of the reasons I now own a pink bass. 

5 hours ago, gobasserk said:

I have to say I, I like the active circuit. New experience and I declare it usefull 😛 

I've gone the opposite way; after years of playing active basses I've recently decided I prefer passive! Lovely basses BTW! 

21 hours ago, gobasserk said:

Well I love the passive tone of the BBs! But within the band the active basses cut through better - for my ears. 

The ability to boost the mids is going to be key to cutting through.

I have to admit to loving the ability to adjust EQ on my bass on the fly should I need to. On some of my basses eg Ibanez I actually prefer the active bass tone to the "duller" passive setting. Some of my basses are purely active and frankly superb tonally (eg Spector Euro LX). 

But can't you potentially get the best of both worlds by dealing with the EQ / mid boost on your amp and combining with the more organic tone of a passive bass, which on a Yammy BB is just great, if that's what you prefer?

Edited by Al Krow