Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

What I love about this BBs is (besides more important sonic reasons) the outstanding building quality including of course the optics / the finish of even the cheaper models. This bass (and every 414 I played) sounds so good. Infact, I like the 414 better than the 424s. The slightly more massive new bridge is a nice tonal upgrade. The tuners are a bit heavier than the smaller Yamaha tuners but it's really no big deal. I just love that open, bell ringing tone of BBs. Combined with the growl of the "normal" P it delievers even a little more bottom end than the BB1000MA. 

Edited by gobasserk

10 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Love this video, great playing! 

Yeah, he has a nice clean style. 

I do prefer the tone of the 42* basses over the 43* in that video, but as i dont play like that its not really much help. 

Edited by dave_bass5

4 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Quick question. Are the pups in the 425 the same as those in the 1025?

Nope. I would describe the 1025 as being both more 'civilised' and with additional harmonic richness.

I found the 1025 to be very close tonally to the P35 pups. So if you compare your 425 to your P34, Dave, you'll have a pretty good idea of the difference between the 425 pups to the 1025 pups.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Nope. I would describe the 1025 as being both more 'civilised' and with additional harmonic richness.

I found the 1025 to be very close tonally to the P35 pups. So if you compare your 425 to your P34, Dave, you'll have a pretty good idea of the difference between the 425 pups to the 1025 pups.

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

No. Biggest visual difference is the P pickup on the 1024/1025/2024/2025 has blades instead of pole pieces.

Ah yes, I should have looked first lol. Cheers both. 

So  the 1024/5 is more refined. 

So friday was NBD and my BB435 arrived finally. Man what a fine bass this is. The previous owner installed a balance poti instead of Vol/Vol/Tone, wich i like. It sees to be a kind of "stacked" balance Poti. I can't hear any loss og highs in the middle position. He installed a bit more solid string retainer too. What blows me out of the water are the new pickups. I love them. Round, fat a lots of ooomph. Ther's a fresh set of dr low rider on it, what makes it perfect. Love this Bass.

20131231-P1010179.jpg

20131231-P1010181.jpg

• Like 6

20 hours ago, AREA said:

So friday was NBD and my BB435 arrived finally. Man what a fine bass this is. The previous owner installed a balance poti instead of Vol/Vol/Tone, wich i like. It sees to be a kind of "stacked" balance Poti. I can't hear any loss og highs in the middle position. He installed a bit more solid string retainer too. What blows me out of the water are the new pickups. I love them. Round, fat a lots of ooomph. Ther's a fresh set of dr low rider on it, what makes it perfect. Love this Bass.

20131231-P1010179.jpg

20131231-P1010181.jpg

Nice looking bass

On 15/01/2020 at 00:00, TRBboy said:

Don't know if anyone knows the answer to this, but other than the finishes, was there any actual difference between the BBN5 and BB405? 

I think the BB405 has a slightly other Body Shaping...

• Like 1