Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 hour ago, AREA said:

Just pulled the Trigger on a nice mint BB 435 TBS. I am exited...

I bought one several months ago and have been blown away by it, especially at the price point! It has been my main gigging bass since I got it. Having owned numerous Yamaha basses in the past, this is exactly what you'd expect, and although I never owned a 42x series, this seems like quite a step up from the 41x/61x series. 

The neck profile is sublime, and the pickups are what really steps it up for me, they're incredible! Well, they're basically the same as on the P35 and 735, so they should be good! 

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

31 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Oooh that will look mint. How much (roughly) is it costing you? Always liked the idea of blinging my white 425

It is not a cheap trick.. 😛  It will cost me 70 Euros for the two frames. But because I own several BBs I can always switch if the 414 should be on the market some day again. At least it will be real gold :D  Did someting like that to my bb1000ma some years ago, that's where the bridge and the tuners come from.  Have to look for a pic of that bass with gold hardware...

Was in PMT this afternoon trying out small combos (see my ongoing search for something loud and light in another thread*), and the first bass I was handed was an £899 Precision (not sure of exact model), which was just awful in pretty much every way, including having considerable and surprising neck dive. I gave my opinion of it, and was handed a 434, which was soooo much better. A nice slim neck, too - big improvement on the 1024X. If I closed my eyes I wanted one, but then I opened my eyes...and no, sadly, I'm far too shallow...

TL:DR - 434 necks are slim and very very nice; £900 new Precisions are rubbish.

Oh, and they had a Fireglow 4003 hiiiigh up on the wall for £3349. Yep, you heard that right: pushing £3.5k for a bog-stock Rick...

* If you're interested, the winner was the new Ashdown Studio 15. Weighs nowt (26lbs, IIRC), plenty of ooomph, very compact. Ashdown have gone for the Rumbles directly, and from what I heard, got it right.

12 minutes ago, AREA said:

No Pics, no Bass, but these are from the Seller. Bass is on its Way to my Adress and should arrive until Wednesday. What you can find for 255 GBP + Shipping...🤗

6425113_1577118606.jpg

6425113_1577118623.jpg

6425113_1577118618.jpg

6425113_1577118612.jpg

6425113_1577118608.jpg

6425113_1577118604.jpg

Wow, what a steal! I bought mine new and still felt like it was a bargain! Enjoy. 

21 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Wow, what a steal! I bought mine new and still felt like it was a bargain! Enjoy. 

+1 ^^

5 hours ago, crabman said:

If that BB435 doesn't quite do it for you then you can always move it on to me! I am downsizing from my BBP35 as I just don't play enough 5 string to justify keeping a £1000 guitar on the wall. 

There was a wanted ad up for a P35 recently. I posted a link to it on this thread about 4 pages back.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I should have added that the black headstock works a treat on that burst finish in a way that doesn't quite on the midnight blue... 

I'm quite happy with it on my teal blue, but I personally think they should've just left the headstock natural as per the 42x series, makes more sense for different colours. 

• Like 1

On 03/01/2020 at 19:26, dave_bass5 said:

I came across this on FB. Not sure what to make of the 2024X

18A8F6FD-F4FD-48F8-A42D-EA389AB181F3.thumb.jpeg.fde8140f35ec3669e59964f041504baa.jpeg

That chrome really shows off the difference in the forearm contour on the Japanese models - it’s more of a straight line on the 1024X, like the natural BB next to it.

On 03/01/2020 at 20:30, gobasserk said:

Found it in my attachments here 🙂  My BB1000MA when it was  equipped with gold hardware

ybb1000mag.jpg

I'm not really a fan of gold hardware in general but somehow it just works on a black Yamaha more than any other bass I feel. 

I have a black BBG5s with gold hardware that I bought new in the nineties, it was my only bass until the Internet came along. 

Edited by Maude