Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Now that's just against the spirit of this place...where would the whole industry be if we played cheap basses that were just fine? 😕😁

Must admit i want to gig my BB425, but feel guilty about leaving the P34 at home, so i take the P34.

This is why i voted my P34 as my worst purchase of the year in the other thread. Not that its anything less than fantastic, but i really shouldn't have brought it as i already had basses that were more than fine, and now i dont use them. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Muzz said:

Just to chip in with my 2p...I think Yamaha suffered with the pricing of the old 202x series because they were the ultimate 'sleeper' bass: I played one for a good while at Bass Direct when they first came out, and it was the best thing I've played in there when it came to feel and tone. Very very nice indeed - whatever voodoo they were doing, it certainly produced a terrific bass. As we've already said, though, it's hard to distinguish visually between their flagship (IIRC they were about £2400 at first, then dropped to £1600 when retailers started unloading them a year or so later) and their entry level basses some £2k less, and I think this was the problem.

I'm still unsure as to whether to pursue a 2024 (the reunion gig I bought the 414 (and a 1024x) for was a success, and we're playing some bigger gigs next year, so I can justify it), because I still don't know about the neck profile: I sold the 1024x because the 414 had a slimmer neck, and that's become a deal breaker for me over the last few years, and I don't know about the 2024 neck profile vs the 1024. If they're the same, I guess I'll save myself a big chunk of cash, because the 414 is just fine. Back in the day, I had a BB3000A (I'd have another of those, too, but the prices are daft now) and a backup BB300, and I never minded using the 300, as that was a great bass, too...

I had a 1024x and a 2024x (still got the latter) and I found the 2024x neck to be slightly slimmer and more comfortable and also because the finish is a bit nicer and has a more played in feel I think. Both great, maybe you should try one again to see 😀 I ended up selling the 1024x for funds and space, as I couldn’t bare to part with the 2024x given they don’t come up for sale much anymore ....and I still love playing it 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Oh dear... 🙂

Thanks, I've been keeping an eye out for a s/h one to try, but as you say, they're quite rare...even rarer in white, which is the only colour I'd want...

With you on the white for my Yammy basses! :) 

5 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Oh dear... 🙂

Thanks, I've been keeping an eye out for a s/h one to try, but as you say, they're quite rare...even rarer in white, which is the only colour I'd want...

I had to go for a black one (new) as there were no white ones available anywhere at the time...still love it mind, but would have loved a white one too!

3 minutes ago, chrisgriff said:

I had to go for a black one (new) as there were no white ones available anywhere at the time...still love it mind, but would have loved a white one too!

Haha - black is not too shabby either! I guess I marginally prefer a rich gloss black to the more anaemic matt black of the 735A - although I know that finish has a lot of fans.

Now, on the other hand, orange? Somehow that never made it to be the 'new black' for me! 😁

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Haha - black is not too shabby either! I guess I marginally prefer a rich gloss black to the more anaemic matt black of the 735A - although I know that finish has a lot of fans.

Now, on the other hand, orange? Somehow that never made it to be the 'new black' for me! 😁

Did someone say orange...4D98B177-1039-49B7-B2B8-824AF512774E.thumb.jpeg.129b821a921381c0f6e8fd90360294df.jpeg

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, AREA said:

Just pulled the Trigger on a nice mint BB 435 TBS. I am exited...

Congrats! What are you going to be playing it through? You gonna get a chance to try out in a band mix soon? 

Waaaay back on this thread @jrixn1posted a couple of pics of his 434 with some bespoke PGs - looked fantastic. And if you want any PG Tips then @AndyTravis is our very own Mr T.  

I just came home from a company that will paint gold (I hope I translatet this right)  a pair of  BB-pickup rings (frames) for me. As I tried to sell my absolut stunning looking  (and sounding) BB414 but no one was interested in the moment, I fell in love with it again. I remembered that I still have a set of golden Schaller tuners and a fitting bridge in gold, so I am able to change the hardware completely to gold. Will make it look like a 1600 from the front... 

My first guess was to clone the chrome pu rings from brass but shiny gold ones do look better. And as the price was the same for gold painting the org. ones, I decided to give it a try.  Will be done by monday.  I can't wait ! 🙂  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Congrats! What are you going to be playing it through? You gonna get a chance to try out in a band mix soon? 

Waaaay back on this thread @jrixn1posted a couple of pics of his 434 with some bespoke PGs - looked fantastic. And if you want any PG Tips then @AndyTravis is our very own Mr T.  

I'll play it through ---> Polytune --> SD Studio Bass Comp --> VONG HPF/LPF --> Markbass Little Mark III 15th Anniversary --> FMC 112 UL and yes, next Wednesday is our next Rehearsal. There i will find out, how it fits in the Mix, but I've had a BB415, BB615 and BB425X in earlier Days, so I know about Yamaha Basses. Good Quality for Decades.

Edited by AREA
  • Like 2