Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

8 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Dunlop Super Brights had a very floppy low B, I've tried a few different sets but keep coming back to D'Addario nickels. Although I'll be trying their NYXLs next.

I like Super Brights in my 4s because of the lower tension, but that's exactly my concern when I thought that I should try them on my 5. The NYXLs are also on my radar. So far, my best experience has been with D'Addario nickels EXL and with the Nickel Dunlop. 

Sadly it looks and sounds to me from photos and YouTube videos that the latest incarnation of the BB is a Fender Precision Bass clone, albeit better made and a PJ, and it sounds to me very clear, but bland and forgettable.

Can someone who owns one please tell me I'm wrong and why?

I want to be wrong because I think my BB424 is superb and I hoped its successor would be even better.

Edited by Dean Vincent

16 minutes ago, Dean Vincent said:

Sadly it looks and sounds to me from photos and YouTube videos that the latest incarnation of the BB is a Fender Precision Bass clone, albeit better made and a PJ, and it sounds to me very clear, but bland and forgettable.

I want to be wrong because I think my BB424 is superb and I hoped its successor would be even better.

Personally, I've found the new alnico V pickups in my 435 to be a marked improvement over the ones in the 414 and 614 I used to have. Warmer and more organic, but plenty of output and great representation across the tonal spectrum. Sounds great IMHO! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dean Vincent said:

What's wrong with a Fender Precision, and better made than what Fender range?

I’ve heard some folk describe the previous BB’s as being quite aggressive and not Fender-like at all but equally as bloated and not traditional. These current iterations have been described as ‘weak’ but then also as more vintage and organic as mentioned above.

I suppose it is the internet so...

Edited by krispn

10 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

What's wrong with a Fender Precision, and better made than what Fender range?

Oh no - it’s a can of worms again - run for the hills!!!!!!

In the last week or so Sadowsky and Ashdown are getting planned for such an accusation, is no company safe....?!

Edited by Cuzzie

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Oh no - it’s a can of worms again - run for the hills!!!!!!

In the last week or so Sadowsky and Ashdown are getting planned for such an accusation, is no company safe....?!

Nope, just asking why he said what he said, then we can get an idea of what he is looking for. Is it the tone, the shape, etc.

I'm also wondering what price point he thinks they are better made than Fenders. He made a statement, I was just asking that's  all. Ive not found my 2 Yamahas to be any better than my Fender.

Edited by dave_bass5

10 hours ago, krispn said:

I’ve heard some folk describe the previous BB’s as being quite aggressive and not Fender-like at all but equally as bloated and not traditional. These current iterations have been described as ‘weak’ but then also as more vintage and organic as mentioned above.

I suppose it is the internet so...

That's it in a nutshell I think. I used the word wrong in my original post to try and generate discussion but I realise we're actually talking about preferences. If however most people in most audiences prefer one tone to the other then I believe that matters. I don't have that information but it suggests to me the new tone is preferable to the mainstream majority firstly because I think Yamaha will have done their research and secondly because that tone hasn't done Fender any harm. Thanks everyone who has given constructive input.

I'm not getting into any pointless debates but I think it's clear from my original post what my own opinion is, but I also made it clear in that post that's what it sounds like to me, not that's what it sounds like full stop.

Edited by Dean Vincent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dean Vincent said:

That's it in a nutshell I think. I used the word wrong in my original post to try and generate discussion but I realise we're actually talking about preferences. If however most people in most audiences prefer one tone to the other then I believe that matters. I don't have that information but it suggests to me the new tone is preferable to the mainstream majority firstly because I think Yamaha will have done their research and secondly because that tone hasn't done Fender any harm. Thanks everyone who has given constructive input.

I'm not getting into any pointless debates but I think it's clear from my original post what my own opinion is, but I also made it clear in that post that's what it sounds like to me, not that's what it sounds like full stop.

Well my P34 sounds like a P bass, but it doesn't sound like a Fender P bass. My 425 sounds like a very hot P bass, but doesn't sound like a P34, or a Fender. 

No point describing how they differ tone wise as you wont like any of them anyway. Ive never seen a bass with a split P style bass that hasn't sounded like a bass with a split P in it. 

Edited by dave_bass5

21 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I think the best thing Yammy have done is to make their pick ups standard size - take the template and pop in the pick up you like.

Best of all worlds 

This is/was my reason for wanting a 435. Cheap enough to experiment with pups in it. Dont want to mess around with my P34. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

This is/was my reason for wanting a 435. Cheap enough to experiment with pups in it. Dont want to mess around with my P34. 

That's kinda what I thought when I bought my 435, but honestly I have no idea to change them, they sound superb! And they're essentially the same as the pickups in the 735 and P35. 

If I did a lot of studio work, I'd probably change the J for something hum-cancelling, but that's the only reason I'd change anything. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dean Vincent said:

From series 2, I've owned a 425 and 1025 and from series 3 the 735A and P35. My take on your question would be as follows:

It seems to me that the Yammy approach has been to listen to what their customers are saying and go for incremental improvements to an already excellent bass with each new series.

So from series 1 (414 etc) --> series 2 the focus was on neck and body construction e.g. laminated necks to improve rigidity.

Series 2 --> series 3, key changes are slightly more refined pups, VVT tone controls, standard pup sizes and slightly honed body shape.

Tonally I found my 1025 to be very very close to my P35. The P35 was very slightly 'sweeter' and the J pup on the 1025 a touch more aggressive. The bass player who sold me the P35 and the one I moved mine onto are both in a league more capable than me as bass players and both have raved about how good the P35 was - the only reason they both moved theirs on was due to needing to switch to lighter basses for individual personal issues. They both have said that the P35 was one of the very best basses they have ever played, and I have zero reason to doubt them. Having met them both and being aware of what other basses they have played, believe me that is high praise indeed!

In terms of comparison to Fender P basses, I think two key points - many Fender Ps are just that i.e. P basses with no J, whereas the Yammy BBs have for some while been PJ and it's the ability to combine (series 2) / blend in (series 3) the J that, for me, gives the Yammy BBs it's particular flavour.

There was quite a nice video comparison a few pages back done between a Yammy PJ and Fender P.

If you are finding your BB424 to be superb, then why not stick with it? Exactly the conclusion I came to with my BB1025.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

That's kinda what I thought when I bought my 435, but honestly I have no idea to change them, they sound superb! And they're essentially the same as the pickups in the 735 and P35. 

If I did a lot of studio work, I'd probably change the J for something hum-cancelling, but that's the only reason I'd change anything. 

This is why I wanted to get a 435. I like the pups in the P34 and realise the 435 will sound similar, but id like to see what else i can get for the 435. I wouldn't want them to sound the same but do fancy a 5 string thats doesnt cost the earth. A more powerful bridge pup would be top of the list. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

From series 2, I've owned a 425 and 1025 and from series 3 the 735A and P35. My take on your question would be as follows:

It seems to me that Yammy approach has been to listen to what their customers are saying and go for incremental improvements to an already excellent bass with each new series.

So from series 1 (414 etc) --> series 2 the focus was on neck and body construction e.g. laminated necks to improve rigidity.

Series 2 --> series 3, key changes are slightly more refined pups, VVT tone controls, standard pup sizes and slightly honed body shape.

Tonally I found my 1025 to be very very close to my P35. The P35 was slightly 'sweeter' and the J pup on the 1025 a little more aggressive. The bass player who sold me the P35 and the one I moved mine onto are both in a league more capable than me as bass players and both have raved about how good the P35 was - the only reason they  both moved theirs on was due to needing to switch to lighter basses for individual personal issues. They both have said that the P35 was one of the very best basses they have ever played, and I have zero reason to doubt them. Having met them both and being aware of what other basses they have played, believe me that is high praise indeed!

yIn terms of comparison to Fender P basses, I think two key points - many Fender Ps are just that i.e. P basses with no J whereas the Yammy BBs have for some while been PJ and it's the ability to combine (series 2) / blend in (series 3) the J that, for me, gives the Yammy BBs it's particular flavour.

There was quite a nice comparison a few pages back done between a Yammy PJ and Fender P.

If you are finding your BB424 to be superb, then why not stick with it? Exactly the conclusion I came to with my BB1025.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. The 424 is a keeper for sure but my reason for adding maybe a series 3 would be if most people prefer a bit less heat and mud than the 424 produces then I guess everyone's a winner ultimately. I know what you mean though - it's you that's got to like it if you're going to pick it up in the first place!

Just traded a bass for a BB P34.  Currently wearing cobalt flats.  Gigged the bass twice so far and very pleased with the sound and presence in the mix (guitar, bass drums with occasional acoustic guitar by the singer).

Mandatory pic:

438976589_YamahaBBP3401.thumb.jpeg.02f317e9c348fbed0822a24dac0db5e6.jpeg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ead said:

Just traded a bass for a BB P34.  Currently wearing cobalt flats.  Gigged the bass twice so far and very pleased with the sound and presence in the mix (guitar, bass drums with occasional acoustic guitar by the singer).

Mandatory pic:

438976589_YamahaBBP3401.thumb.jpeg.02f317e9c348fbed0822a24dac0db5e6.jpeg

Nice, and congrats. I had those strings on my P34, but noticed some rust spots from day one so sent them back. During the day or so that i had them I really liked the tone. Will try them again at some point. 

They're a bit on the heavy side I think. I've been looking for a 735 for a while but they've all been in the 4.3 to 4.5kg range which is a bit weightier than I'd like. The maple sandwich construction of the body probably bumps the weight up a bit.

Edited by ikay
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

How heavy are these new models?  Any lighter than the previous series?

4 minutes ago, Paul S said:

That's a shame.  I loved the old BBs but they were just too heavy, was kind of hoping the new range might be lighter :(

In my personal experience having owned both a 1025x and a 735a, the 735a was noticeably lighter. I didn’t own both basses at the same time to compare side by side but I remember the 1025x feeling like a bit of a boat anchor.

• Thanks 1