Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Hi! Since these are relatively new models the specs are available on the manufacturer websites:

BBP34: https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/el_basses/bb_2017/specs.html

Am Orig 60s P Bass: https://shop.fender.com/en-SE/electric-basses/american-original-60s-precision-bass/0190120800.html

The strings are medium aged Ernie Ball Slinky 45-105. Although it perhaps would have been more scientific to have brand new strings on both, I chose to do the comparison using "broken in" but not too old strings because that is the state where the strings sound their best I think, as well as the condition most strings out there are in. Both sets are about the same age and condition though.

• Like 1

Haha Andy - they say that reprise is a dish best served cold, but that must be a record for a slow motion conversation if you've just commented on a bit of banter from 5 months back! 😁

There are a couple of cracking Yammy deals in the FS. I'm really tempted by that red TRB 1005 in the FS. £450 with a bridge upgrade looks like great value as an active counterpart to my BB 1025 and Mick's BBN4 for an unlocked phone or £120 really does put the black back into Friday!

On 25/06/2019 at 00:48, AndyTravis said:

The attitude standard is winning...think it’s beating the 414...🤨

50DC81F7-373D-4F0D-A686-00DB7B769C0D.jpeg

Aha, you were responding to Mojo's comments on this. The cobwebs are clearing and it's all starting to make sense now! 😀

Edited by Al Krow

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Out of interest, was it the body shape or tone (or both) of the 414 that you prefer over the Attitudes?

Think body shape.

The attitudes (particularly the black one) sounded brilliant.

Anyhow, the Modulus is one sound, Jazz another and if I want a bit of both, the bb.A58F583F-C28C-40DC-86B1-3EE737DF52C8.thumb.jpeg.0417313817c4038e1f35b87f55bb29ee.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi all. Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Repair and Technical section but thought this might be better. Does the collective BB hive mind know for sure what wrench size is suitable for the truss rods in later Yamaha BB basses? Whenever I've adjusted my 424 or 1025 I've reached for a hex wrench suggested by the Yamaha website which has always been the wrong size. Do we know what the correct size is? Thanks. 

15 minutes ago, AdrianP said:

Hi all. Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Repair and Technical section but thought this might be better. Does the collective BB hive mind know for sure what wrench size is suitable for the truss rods in later Yamaha BB basses? Whenever I've adjusted my 424 or 1025 I've reached for a hex wrench suggested by the Yamaha website which has always been the wrong size. Do we know what the correct size is? Thanks. 

Im not sure what size i use, but ive found it can sometimes be hit or miss with my P34, and thats using the supplied one. Seems to be something a bit different with the Yamaha TR nut IMO.

Sometimes the wrench will spin round, but other times it grips fine. The TR itself is fine though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AdrianP said:

Try a 5mm, but whatever you do, make sure it's a snug fit

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, whamni said:

Try a 5mm, but whatever you do, make sure it's a snug fit

Indeed, that's what the Yamaha website suggests. I've just never managed to get it to fit properly. Actually,  one of the imperial sized wrenches seems to fit most snuggly,  which cannot be right. I'm fortunate in that, with the strings slackened off, the truss rod moves really smoothly in either direction so, hopefully, minimising the risk of any damage. But I will certainly be careful to get a snug fit. 

Edited by AdrianP

I’m gonna be annoying and say I can’t be bothered to read 124 pages.

Would someone be forgiving enough to tell me which 5 string I should buy-

735a

BBP35

Really, is the 735a much better than the 435 (excepting the obvious fact that it’s active)

obvs I need to play some, but I’m currently lying on the sofa so it’s not an immediate option.

8 minutes ago, nottswarwick said:

I’m gonna be annoying and say I can’t be bothered to read 124 pages.

Would someone be forgiving enough to tell me which 5 string I should buy-

735a

BBP35

Really, is the 735a much better than the 435 (excepting the obvious fact that it’s active)

obvs I need to play some, but I’m currently lying on the sofa so it’s not an immediate option.

Save time, get the BBP35 if you don’t want active. Save money, get the 735 if you want active. The 435 is a great bass by all accounts, but the fact that you are asking about the higher end seems to indicate you aren't put off by the higher cost, so........

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

Save time, get the BBP35 if you don’t want active. Save money, get the 735 if you want active. The 435 is a great bass by all accounts, but the fact that you are asking about the higher end seems to indicate you aren't put off by the higher cost, so........

Get the 435 in teal if you’re getting one 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nottswarwick said:

Thank you both. There are none in Nottingham to try. How does the string spacing and neck compare to a Stingray 5?

Never played a Ray 5, but i know they are quite narrow. I have a 425 and its the nicest 5 string (to play) that ive ever owned. Very easy to play. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, whamni said:

Spacing on a ray is 17.5mm,  Yamaha is 18mm

I have a BB425 and a SUB Ray 5 and the difference in the spacing feels much greater than it really is. Strangely, I find the tighter spacing on the SUB the more comfortable of the two

most 5 sting basses are 18, but Music man use 17.5 , I'm told they do have a model at 18.

I sold my Ray 5,  I just couldn't get used to it, been playing 4 strings a long long time  lol, it's amazing what a few mm can do.

Edited by whamni

Please help me decide between yamaha bb235 and yamaha bb435, if money is not issue i'll get the bb435 easy decision. I am struggling with the following points.

Major Struggle

1. Multi piece neck, by common sense i think this is so much better than the one piece, but other brand like fender as far as I know doesn't have this feature in their hi-end models, so am I right to conclude that one piece will do its job, and this multi piece neck are kinda of marketing stuff?

2. Body thru stringing, I believe this remove a lot of pulling stress from the bridge. I always had a fear  of screws holding down the bridge could eventually get loose. Does unscrewing and re-screwing of the bridge will result to a loose thread for the screws?

Minor struggle

1. nuts - can be easily upgrade no big deal

2. 4 vs 6 nect joint bolts

3. I like the colors  more on the 200 series than the 400 series

Thanks

Hi @james_027

Like many people here, my older Yamaha BB seems fine with a one piece neck, 4 bolt neck join and top loading bbot bridge!

I'd not really be concerned about the structural side of things (as you say, that's what you get on most of the  multi-thousand dollar Fender custom shop basses) but it's more a question of whether the laminated neck, and through body stringing give a "better" sound to your ears.

The biggest difference (for me) would be the pickups. The 2 series have ceramic magnets while the 4 have alnico5 magnets. Received wisdom would imply that the 4 series pickups are a bit more subtle and vintage voiced. As always, it's a bit more complicated than that. One player's "vintage mojo" is another players "weak and characterless", one players "brash and unsubtle" is another's "punchy and agressive" etc.

Bear in mind that, unlike previous BBs, these new ones feature standard-sized pickups so upgrades will be possible further down the line if you feel there's something missing. Needless to say that Yamaha make great sounding pickups anyway!

I guess this isn't helping. It's 5am and I can't sleep so I thought I'd put some thoughts out there. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice and a great deal on either is what might sway it for me. I particularly like the yellow natural 2 series look but the teal 4 series is pretty saucy too. 

I daresay some of the Big Beasts of the BB thread will be along with far more informed guidance soon enough. 

Edited by Baceface
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Baceface said:

Hi @james_027

Like many people here, my older Yamaha BB seems fine with a one piece neck, 4 bolt neck join and top loading bbot bridge!

I'd not really be concerned about the structural side of things (as you say, that's what you get on most of the  multi-thousand dollar Fender custom shop basses) but it's more a question of whether the laminated neck, and through body stringing give a "better" sound to your ears.

thanks for those inputs, I guess there's not much need to worry about the structural side.

The biggest difference (for me) would be the pickups. The 2 series have ceramic magnets while the 4 have alnico5 magnets. Received wisdom would imply that the 4 series pickups are a bit more subtle and vintage voiced. As always, it's a bit more complicated than that. One player's "vintage mojo" is another players "weak and characterless", one players "brash and unsubtle" is another's "punchy and agressive" etc.

Bear in mind that, unlike previous BBs, these new ones feature standard-sized pickups so upgrades will be possible further down the line if you feel there's something missing. Needless to say that Yamaha make great sounding pickups anyway!

Does the 200 series pickups considered good?

I guess this isn't helping. It's 5am and I can't sleep so I thought I'd put some thoughts out there. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice and a great deal on either is what might sway it for me. I particularly like the yellow natural 2 series look but the teal 4 series is pretty saucy too. 

I daresay some of the Big Beasts of the BB thread will be along with far more informed guidance soon enough. 

Many thanks

• Like 1

13 hours ago, james_027 said:

Please help me decide between yamaha bb235 and yamaha bb435, if money is not issue i'll get the bb435 easy decision. I am struggling with the following points.

2. Body thru stringing, I believe this remove a lot of pulling stress from the bridge. I always had a fear  of screws holding down the bridge could eventually get loose. Does unscrewing and re-screwing of the bridge will result to a loose thread for the screws?

Minor struggle

Thanks

Why would you need to unscrew and re-screw the bridge? You don't need to take it off to change the strings, if that's what you're thinking.

Given that you are thinking about a 5-string, the extra rigidity that you get with the 6-bolt neck should manifest itself in a much better sounding B string . This is obviously not so much of an issue for 4-string players. But since I haven't tried either, I couldn't say for sure.

I have played a 434 and the neck was superb.

17 hours ago, james_027 said:

Major Struggle

1. Multi piece neck, by common sense i think this is so much better than the one piece, but other brand like fender as far as I know doesn't have this feature in their hi-end models, so am I right to conclude that one piece will do its job, and this multi piece neck are kinda of marketing stuff?

Minor struggle

1. nuts - can be easily upgrade no big deal

Thanks

My BB435 is superb, absolutely unbeatable for the money. So much so that I’m considering upgrading it for the P35.