Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

I've taken a punt on that 80's red BB200 P that was on eBay...not expecting a lot but I need a straight forward cheapy Precision vibe and it has taken my fancy for a while , guess that puts me at the bottom end of the BB club eh? 😆

3 minutes ago, Raslee said:

I've taken a punt on that 80's red BB200 P that was on eBay...not expecting a lot but I need a straight forward cheapy Precision vibe and it has taken my fancy for a while , guess that puts me at the bottom end of the BB club eh? 😆

I had one which arrived damaged and I got a partial refund and sold it here as a project.

it was bloody lovely and I was gutted.

best bit about the 200 was the p shaped pickups rather than the odd Yamaha sizes.

a very nice little P bass without the big fender price tag.

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

I had one which arrived damaged and I got a partial refund and sold it here as a project.

it was bloody lovely and I was gutted.

best bit about the 200 was the p shaped pickups rather than the odd Yamaha sizes.

a very nice little P bass without the big fender price tag.

Ah that's really good to hear, especially about the pickups. I've become quite a fan of the cheap Tonerider PUP so that's what will replace the stock if we don't get on. Many Thanks.

13 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Another #knobhack if you don’t like the idea of cutlery near your bass is to swipe a cloth underneath the controls and wrap them around and pull up.

either work fine.

for plastic bb or Les Paul plastic knobs the cloth method is a sure fire way not to chip the plastic edges which can be fragile if you’re not a regular knob puller...

I worry I break the pot but I take it its pretty safe? 

6 minutes ago, Raslee said:

Ah that's really good to hear, especially about the pickups. I've become quite a fan of the cheap Tonerider PUP so that's what will replace the stock if we don't get on. Many Thanks.

They’re usually pretty dandy as they are. But you know your own ears.

5 hours ago, Raslee said:

This your first BB? Thought you already had a couple? Either way, pic please!

Trouble with the bottom end BBs is that they're so blo*ody good, you end up getting suckered into going up range pdq! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Guest Corto14
5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@Corto14 never had or played a 2000 myself. But I've heard folk say that they were the very finest of the BB passive range.

You got your eye on that one then?

Nope, it's really expensive (1600 €) and the music store that has this model is too far from home, nearly 800 Km.
Such a shame, 'cause it looks in perfect condition. 
Also, my eye and my wallet are towards a brand new bbp34, but we will see.

That's one awesome rig to go with a very tasty bass!

Welcome aboard the Yammy club! Did you buy new or manage to pick one up used? 

But with reactions like yours to the BB range, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that we've just snuck passed 3,000 posts on this thread (and can't be more than 2,500 of those down to me and Andy T 😂).

I think I'm correct in saying that's the first ever bass focussed thread to pass that particular milestone in BC's history. Here's a glass raised to Yammys :drinks:

2 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

I joined the yamaha BB club last week... genuinely blown away by both the build and tone, at any price point let alone a smidge above the price of a mex fender!

20191109_204720.jpg

A noble beast. I actually traded my matte black BB735a to Skinnyman of this parish a couple of months ago but I suspect I’ll own another at some point. I can’t think of a better bass for the money. 

Just a quick update on the reunion gig which I'd bought my white 414 for...it was a blinding success, and the 414 was perfect. The best bass (for the money) I've had since my old £75 BB300 back in the day (which, ironically, was my backup bass for the BB3000A I had in the band 30 years ago).

We've got some more gigs on the back of the reunion one, so I'll be needing a white BB for some time to come. I'm just wondering what I might upgrade the 414 to (I tried a BB1024, but didn't like the neck as much as the 414 (too big), so it got sold), and if I really need to... 3000As are now daft(ish) money, and I'm not sure about the neck profile of the 2024s...

2 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Just a quick update on the reunion gig which I'd bought my white 414 for...it was a blinding success, and the 414 was perfect. The best bass (for the money) I've had since my old £75 BB300 back in the day (which, ironically, was my backup bass for the BB3000A I had in the band 30 years ago).

We've got some more gigs on the back of the reunion one, so I'll be needing a white BB for some time to come. I'm just wondering what I might upgrade the 414 to (I tried a BB1024, but didn't like the neck as much as the 414 (too big), so it got sold), and if I really need to... 3000As are now daft(ish) money, and I'm not sure about the neck profile of the 2024s...

You seen Paul's white BB1100S in the FS? Dunno if that would fit the bill of what you're looking for? If it had an extra thumb rest string I've have bitten his hand off...I do like a white Yammy :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Muzz said:

If you're loving the 414, a 434 would be worth checking out! I have a 435 and it's blown me away in terms of feel and tone, I think they've really stepped it up on the new range! The pickups are essentially the same as in the high end models, the only real difference is the body construction (although it's solid Alder which is pretty standard), and the bridge is BBOT style, but I've had no issues with it. Highly recommended! 

I'd forgotten the 1100S came in white - sadly (tho I have previously admitted to being as shallow as a puddle in this regard) the aesthetics are as important as anything in the selection of any possible upgrade, which rules out all the new range, but I'll have a look at that 1100S...it'll be dependent on weight and neck profile...

Guest Corto14
18 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Guess you've already seen this?

thanks for the tip! it would be fantastic but I live in Italy and therefore it seems complicated to me. shame because it would seem interested also in a bb734a

3 minutes ago, Corto14 said:

thanks for the tip! it would be fantastic but I live in Italy and therefore it seems complicated to me. shame because it would seem interested also in a bb734a

Understand. I recently received a bass from Germany from a retailer, which was significantly less well packaged than I would do with the basses I've sold, but it still arrived in A-1 condition, so I'm feeling a bit more confident about European shipments. I would of course get everything insured, just in case!