Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

20 hours ago, Allaboutthebass said:

I'm just about to sell all my bb's (none have a case) and this would have worked a dream!

Sneak preview then, what tasty items have you got for sale and what will you be playing instead of your BBs? 

21 hours ago, Allaboutthebass said:

I'm just about to sell all my bb's (none have a case) and this would have worked a dream!

Non-believer. Burn him 🔥😂😂😂

5 hours ago, MoJo said:

Non-believer. Burn him 🔥😂😂😂

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I'm not actually sure that is permitted under BC house rules?

😂

IMO it should be compulsory for guitarists....

Good thing I'm mellowing with age, don't you think???

• Haha 2

I've often felt that my Yammy BB's worked better than my J basses with the B3K drive on my DG M900 as the PJ tamed the fizzy top end of the B3K. (I seem to recall that @dannybuoy may have come to the exact opposite conclusion which just goes to show!)

A few Yammy owners (past and present!) have mentioned they're also fans of the DG AO pedal and encouraged me to give the AO pedal a try out. I've not really been able to get my head around how best to articulate the difference between the B3K and the AO, but have stumbled on this YouTube post which has the B3K and AO A/B'd and played through a BB 735A.

Bit of a niche post, I appreciate, but may be of interest to some...

• Like 1

The AO is the best sounding DG pedal as it does more than aggressive down tuned djent/Periphery tones. Working the blend level and gain all help get the most out of it. You should nab one for a ‘free rental’ and put it through its paces. I think you’d get some good use out of it considering your leanings to synth/drive tones.  

3 minutes ago, krispn said:

The AO is the best sounding DG pedal as it does more than aggressive down tuned djent/Periphery tones. Working the blend level and gain all help get the most out of it. You should nab one for a ‘free rental’ and put it through its paces. I think you’d get some good use out of it considering your leanings to synth/drive tones.  

That's a big vote of confidence from someone who knows a thing or two about great bass tone! Are you still making the pedal work well for you with your sets? 

Yup I should definitely get hold of one to put through its paces, maybe with a Hyperluminal VCA comp chucked in for free! :)

I did for the heavier stuff and it shone! I’m using my amp’s built in drive these days with my Tone Hammer pedal providing a bit of extra grit- basically stacking the two as this seems to fit better for the more old school drive tones I’m gravitating. You’ll not need the DG comp with your Stella keeping everything in check for you surely?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, krispn said:

I did for the heavier stuff and it shone! I’m using my amp’s built in drive these days with my Tone Hammer pedal providing a bit of extra grit- basically stacking the two as this seems to fit better for the more old school drive tones I’m gravitating. You’ll not need the DG comp with your Stella keeping everything in check for you surely?

The stellar Stella is also a VCA comp and got high praise indeed from Simon; but it's currently living on my home PB.

A bit like you I'm also going to be using the built in drive on my amp and the Hyperluminal comp is included "for free" so it will be rude for me not to use it! 😀  

Just glad that the AO drive is getting such unsolicited high praise from you as it just so happens to be the pre-amp drive stuck onto a pretty decent 900W power amp that's shortly making it's way over to East Landern, and is going to replace its predecessor DG M900 which has been my trusty engine-room for the past 18 months. You've defo got me looking forward more to this upgrade than I was 12 hours ago :) 

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The stellar Stella is also a VCA comp and got high praise indeed from Simon; but it's currently living on my home PB.

A bit like you I'm also going to be using the built in drive on my amp and the Hyperluminal comp is included "for free" so it will be rude for me not to use it! 😀  

Just glad that the AO drive is getting such unsolicited high praise from you as it just so happens to be the pre-amp drive stuck onto a pretty decent 900W power amp that's shortly making it's way over to East Landern, and is going to replace its predecessor DG M900 which has been my trusty engine-room for the past 18 months. You've defo got me looking forward more to this upgrade than I was 12 hours ago :) 

Cant wait to buy this off you lol.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, krispn said:

Ahh so you bought the amp recently for sale. Great deal on that one. I’d have snapped that up too for that price. So does that mean the Stella is now for sale? 

Agreed! Nope (my Mesa M6 doesn't have a built in comp so the Stella still has a place).

But there will be a vgc DG M900 v1 wending its way to the FS very shortly...and the B3K on that amp does work very well with Yammy PJs

(See what I just did there? Gave a forthcoming FS item a shameless plug Got things back on topic! ) 😁 

Ahh like a ‘best setting’ preset. Still worthy no doubt as most of use find one good comp setting and stick to it. It’s a great deal and I know you’ll enjoy it out with the band.

Edited by krispn