Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

50 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

If anyone is interested, there is a caramel BB1024X for sale in the Bass players market UK FB group.  £475 ono.

I want a 1024 but this one looks a bit too shiny for me. 

I had one very similar, wanted to put a tort guard on it. Great basses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Been looking for brass saddles for my 435, was going to buy one of the Wilkinson bridges and use the saddles off that, but they're 19mm spacing and the new BB 5's are 18mm... Anyone got any ideas? 

I’ve got a Wilkinson bridge more or less brand new will check when I’m home

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Here’s a cheap AliExpress copy of the Andy Travis Signature next to the original. They didn’t even get the colour right. Pfft.

40DCB014-77AF-4C22-A6DD-288B7155C6F4.jpeg

You may as well sell that 414 now. It’s not going to get played 😆

41 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

It will 😉

Good to hear. Got my eye on a couple of basses at the moment, despite not needing another bass, a BB235 in white and a tasty BB425X in black, but which one? 

fight.jpg.c363e8fb50c0eba60a275cf3a6290c3c.jpg

6 minutes ago, MoJo said:

Good to hear. Got my eye on a couple of basses at the moment, despite not needing another bass, a BB235 in white and a tasty BB425X in black, but which one? 

fight.jpg.c363e8fb50c0eba60a275cf3a6290c3c.jpg

As a recent owner of a 435, I can testify that the new series are superb, the necks are fabulous, and it's great that the pickups are easily upgradeable (although they don't need to be!). If you can stretch to a 435, I think it's well worth the extra £150-170 to get the multi laminate neck, through body stringing, and most importantly the lovely alnico V pickups! 

BB players, what's your posture like when sitting or standing with these basses? I've found recently that compared to my last bass, my BB734 sits much nicer in the "classical" position when sitting down, that is with the bass on my left leg and the neck angled upwards. I think it might be because of the shape of the rounded part of the body where the input jack and pots are. Might have to invest in a footstool or something to lift my leg up slightly to make it more comfortable.

With my previous bass I always had my strap fairly high up but I find that with the BB I might even need it even higher (which is an issue since my strap is already at its shortest!) since at the moment I find my picking hand is a little bit strained as it is.

11 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

As a recent owner of a 435, I can testify that the new series are superb, the necks are fabulous, and it's great that the pickups are easily upgradeable (although they don't need to be!). If you can stretch to a 435, I think it's well worth the extra £150-170 to get the multi laminate neck, through body stringing, and most importantly the lovely alnico V pickups! 

Oh, and the 6 bolt mitred neck joint!