Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

4 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Will do, just about to start. 

Rock covers really, everything from stones and beatles through to foo fighters etc, via a bit of ska and footloose! 

Sounds like a fun set!

Let us know at the end of the gig how it sounded and also what the rest of your rig is, that you're putting the Yammy through?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Sounds like a fun set!

Let us know at the end of the gig how it sounded and also what the rest of your rig is, that you're putting the Yammy through?

We do have a lot of fun! Here's tonight's set lists. 

I was sooooo pleased with my sound tonight, and I'm incredibly fussy! My band mates noted the time and date at the end of the first set when I joyfully announced that my sound was perfect! 😂

I've been chasing something for a long time, but didn't know what it was until recently. A bit of trial and error and a few gambles have paid off. 

I was playing the BB435 all night, through my pedal board and into my fairly newly aquired Rumble 500 combo, which I've had for a month or so, and 1x15 ext cab which I only got last weekend and hadn't gigged yet. This setup tonight was by far the best fit sound I've ever had for my band, seriously awesome! 

The BB435 itself performed admirably, I was very impressed! My prior research and careful consideration was worth the faff I feel, and I've ended up with the right bass for me. It was hard for me to put my own prejudices and preconceptions aside, and accept the fact that the mid range model was likely going to give me exactly what I wanted, and resist the urge to go for one of the higher range models. The traditional solid alder body, passive electronics, etc gives me just what I need. The neck profile is lovely, I'm not completely sold on the finish right now, but I can imagine it'll be just perfect once it's played in a bit. I was a bit clumsy to start with, due mainly to the unfamiliar string gauge, but actually even that was alright in the end. Very, very playable bass! Once it's set up with my usual strings it'll be even better. The pickups are just incredible, I have absolutely no desire to change them. Gives me enough of the Fender style tone, but actually a lot more too. 

From my brief affair with the Fender Player Jaguar recently I realised two things: firstly, that a passive PJ setup have me exactly the sound I was after, and secondly that a no frills but well made 'traditional' style bass would give me what I wanted. I need that organic, full, traditional tone to sit in the band mix right. Even though my previous setup was excellent, it perhaps didn't work quite as well in the band context. It's kinda where my comment about my 'perfect imperfection' epiphany comes in. I've never considered myself a gear snob, but equally it's very liberating for me to realise that I don't NEED expensive gear to give me what I need! 

Anyway, I'm rambling on, I'd better try and calm down and get to bed..... 

.....can't wait to gig it again next weekend though! 😁👍

IMG_20190920_203155.jpg

IMG_20190921_002117.jpg

IMG_20190921_002124.jpg

IMG_20190921_002538.jpg

IMG_20190920_201249.jpg

Edited by TRBboy
Typo
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, TRBboy said:

We do have a lot of fun! Here's tonight's set lists. 

I was sooooo pleased with my sound tonight, and I'm incredibly fussy! My band mates noted the time and date at the end of the first set when I joyfully announced that my sound was perfect! 😂

I've been chasing something for a long time, but didn't know what it was until recently. A bit of trial and error and a few gambles have paid off. 

I was playing the BB435 all night, through my pedal board and into my fairly newly aquired Rumble 500 combo, which I've had for a month or so, and 1x15 ext cab which I only got last weekend and hadn't gigged yet. This setup tonight was by far the best fit sound I've ever had for my band, seriously awesome! 

The BB435 itself performed admirably, I was very impressed! My prior research and careful consideration was worth the faff I feel, and I've ended up with the right bass for me. It was hard for me to put my own prejudices and preconceptions aside, and accept the fact that the mid range model was likely going to give me exactly what I wanted, and resist the urge to go for one of the higher range models. The traditional solid alder body, passive electronics, etc gives me just what I need. The neck profile is lovely, I'm not completely sold on the finish right now, but I can imagine it'll be just perfect once it's played in a bit. I was a bit clumsy to start with, due mainly to the unfamiliar string gauge, but actually even that was alright in the end. Very, very playable bass! Once it's set up with my usual strings it'll be even better. The pickups are just incredible, I have absolutely no desire to change them. Gives me enough of the Fender style tone, but actually a lot more too. 

From my brief affair with the Fender Player Jaguar recently I realised two things: firstly, that a passive PJ setup have me exactly the sound I was after, and secondly that a no frills but well made 'traditional' style bass would give me what I wanted. I need that organic, full, traditional tone to sit in the band mix right. Even though my previous setup was excellent, it perhaps didn't work quite as well in the band context. It's kinda where my comment about my 'perfect imperfection' epiphany comes in. I've never considered myself a gear snob, but equally it's very liberating for me to realise that I don't NEED expensive gear to give me what I need! 

Anyway, I'm rambling on, I'd better try and calm down and get to bed..... 

.....can't wait to gig it again next weekend though! 😁👍

IMG_20190920_203155.jpg

IMG_20190921_002117.jpg

IMG_20190921_002124.jpg

IMG_20190921_002538.jpg

IMG_20190920_201249.jpg

Great summary of your quest!

There are gems of wisdom within it, too.

• Like 1

That’s a good review, sounds like a great night. I’d love to compare the 434 to my P34. 
Agree you don’t need to spend too much on gear to get the perfect tone. What I do feel is its quite often (at least for me), its room or mix dependent. Ive had the perfect tone with every bass ive owned, Ive also had such a crappy tone Ive sold each bass/amp etc. 

I was sitting going back and forth with my P34 and Fender last night, can’t decide what to take to the gig tonight. Each feels like ‘the one’ . I’m so temped to take my Fender but I know I’ll feel guilty leaving the P34 at home. Very tempted to get a 434 to replace the P34, the I wouldn’t feel so bad if i didn’t use it much. 

A lot of the songs on those set lists are songs we do as well. Tonight we are doing Lonely Boy with me doing the pitch bending guitar bits on Bass. At least the stomp has one use lol.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TRBboy said:

... it's very liberating for me to realise that I don't NEED expensive gear to give me what I need! 

Heresy, heresy, HERESY!

Mods please get this chap thrown off BC for use of such offensive, contented, language.

😁

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

I was sitting going back and forth with my P34 and Fender last night, can’t decide what to take to the gig tonight. Each feels like ‘the one’ .

Blimey Dave, if they both feel like 'the one' then, by definition, that must make them 'the two'? 😄

But seriously mate, very few of us get to thinking that any bass is 'the one' (@TRBboy being an honourable exception), so if you've found 'the ones', hold on to them!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Blimey Dave, if they both feel like 'the one' then, by definition, that must make them 'the two'? 😄

But seriously mate, very few of us get to thinking that any bass is 'the one' (@TRBboy being an honourable exception), so if you've found 'the ones', hold on to them!

But they are each a different ‘one’, and I only want one ‘one’ lol. 

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yep..... Although the caveat to this is that I've found 'the one' on numerous occasions previously! 🤣

Unfortunately, the requirements for qualifying as 'the one' change periodically..... 🤔

2 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Yep..... Although the caveat to this is that I've found 'the one' on numerous occasions previously! 🤣

Unfortunately, the requirements for qualifying as 'the one' change periodically..... 🤔

Phew!!! Ok, I don't need to sell any of my herd then!

I know I'm fortunate to have a few decent basses to play and I love having them. As you say, they don't need to be expensive to be great basses. But I kinda feel that, space permitting, having some really good alternatives somehow keeps them all fresh.

Well that's at least how I've sold it to Mrs Krow 😂

• Haha 1

The new BB looked and sounded great last night. 

See through cherry red colour, bolt on neck, matching headstock. Satin finish hardware, 3 tone controls, one volume and one switch. 

The second one had what looked like an extra inlay on the fourth fret between the d and g string.  

20190920_202340.jpg

Edited by 2elliot
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Link to our band FB page if anyone's interested: https://m.facebook.com/TwoPushCharlieUK/?locale2=en_GB

Just liked and followed. 
After all my moaning about my P34 last week, I’ve decided to use it for tonight’s gig. After spending all that money it needs to do at last one proper gig. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Thank you! 😊👍

Let us know how you get on with the P34 tonight. I'd love to try one of the Pro series and see how much they differ from the 400 series. 

Yep, I’ll post back tomorrow. 

I too am interested in comparing the two, going the other way. Might pop in to the Yamaha shop at some point. 

• Like 1

Just had a slightly nerdy session dating my Ibby and Yammy basses. In case this is of interest to any one else...

The more modern Ibby SR Premiums are a doddle to date: the first four numbers are the date (and the remaining 5 digits the production run number in that month) so 1608xxxxx is very easily Aug 2016 

More recent Yamaha BBs seem to use a YY-M format with the first 3 letters providing the date, but using the following code: H=1, I=2, J=3, K=4, L=5, M=6, N=7, O=8, P=9, Q=0, X=10, Y=11, Z=12

=> HMI = 16-2 i.e. Feb 2016

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

More recent Yamaha BBs seem to use a YY-M format with the first 3 letters providing the date, but using the following code: H=1, I=2, J=3, K=4, L=5, M=6, N=7, O=8, P=9, Q=0, X=10, Y=11, Z=12

=> HMI = 16-2 i.e. Feb 2016

Nice info! Just checked and my BB734 was made in May 2017, not too long ago it seems!

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Defo gotta improve the quality of dem jokes Mr DB5 😁

Have a great gig! 😊

Sorry, been hanging around the Christmas cracker factory too long. 
I found a photo on my phone of the back of the headstock. I always do that so I have a visual record of the serial number.

April 2018 is the correct answer.

Cheers, , I’m sure the P34 will do well tonight, not sure about the band though 🙂

• Like 1