Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

49 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So how is the kitchen coming along?! 😀

Erm..... Still a few bits and bobs to do, kind of at that point where its more or less done, it's just getting round to actually finishing it! Time has been against me though recently I must say.... 

Was thinking earlier I'm actually tempted to gig this bass on Friday, I normally take it as backup, but tempted to use it for the gig this week. 

Very close to ordering a 435 though I think.....

41 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Very close to ordering a 435 though I think.....

You do realise that your much heralded flirtation with possibly getting a BB 435 / 735A / P35 has a bunch of us sellers feeling like a Yammy version of Love Island don't you? 😁

Btw if you ever refi your N5 in vintage white, or that lovely gloss black that @TheGreek has, it's going to be a head turner!

Although I appreciate there is quite a head of steam for orange being the new black on this thread. It isn't 😂

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You do realise that your much heralded flirtation with possibly getting a BB 435 / 735A / P35 has a bunch of us sellers feeling like a Yammy version of Love Island don't you? 😁

Btw if you ever refi your N5 in vintage white, or that lovely gloss black that @TheGreek has, it's going to be a head turner!

Although I appreciate there is quite a head of steam for orange being the new black on this thread. It isn't 😂

😂 It's a balance of a lot of factors with this really, and I want to choose right because a) this will probably become my main bass, and B) I'm a fussy bugger! 

Trying to balance cost vs weight vs which one is likely to give me the 'traditional' tone I'm after vs VFM. Due to these things, I think the 435 is likely to give me the best balance of what I want. The prospect of potentially selling my two custom made Sandbergs and my main bass being a mid-range, mass produced instrument feels both insane and liberating in equal measure! 

Your P35 is very nice. 

😂

5 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

BTW, I was planning to refin the N5 with a stain rather than paint, as it will be a LOT less hassle! 😉👍 I agree though, white would look killer, kind of a poor man's Nathan East sig. 

Go on finish it in a stunning gloss white, buy yourself a NE1 pedal for £60 (used) and you've got yourself a Nathan East sig for a fraction of the price. Now there's a thought!...

Yup selling a Sandberg (with Delano pups) is the very definition of liberation - I can vouch for that! 

😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

BTW, I was planning to refin the N5 with a stain rather than paint, as it will be a LOT less hassle! 😉👍 I agree though, white would look killer, kind of a poor man's Nathan East sig. 

Depends on what stain you want and how to achieve it.

You are likely to need to sand the original finish all the way off, then sand smooth, then stain and then use multiple coats of Tru oil/gun oil over the top to get a Matt or a glossy finish.

With a block colour, you can still sand back lightly, but not to bare wood, the paint just needs somewhere to stick to. Use a Nitro spray can, probably better to use a primer first partly to prep, but partly to get used to the technique of spraying, then your colour with as many coats as you need and buff. If you use a metallic finish you will probably need a clear lacquer on top.

Both take their time in various ways. If you haven’t got a Graphite paint shielded cavity/pick up rout, may as well do that at the same time, that will make it awesome

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Go on finish it in a stunning gloss white, buy yourself a NE1 pedal for £60 (used) and you've got yourself a Nathan East sig for a fraction of the price. Now there's a thought!...

Yup selling a Sandberg (with Delano pups) is the very definition of liberation - I can vouch for that! 

😂

Unpopular opinion maybe, but I had a BB605 with NE preamp, and I didn't care for the preamp at all! 😬 It was the main reason I sold it. 

Curious about your sandberg experience now also! 

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Depends on what stain you want and how to achieve it.

You are likely to need to sand the original finish all the way off, then sand smooth, then stain and then use multiple coats of Tru oil/gun oil over the top to get a Matt or a glossy finish.

With a block colour, you can still sand back lightly, but not to bare wood, the paint just needs somewhere to stick to. Use a Nitro spray can, probably better to use a primer first partly to prep, but partly to get used to the technique of spraying, then your colour with as many coats as you need and buff. If you use a metallic finish you will probably need a clear lacquer on top.

Both take their time in various ways. If you haven’t got a Graphite paint shielded cavity/pick up rout, may as well do that at the same time, that will make it awesome

I had been thinking about some matt valspar varnish I'd seen in B&Q tbh, I jest not! 😉

9 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Curious about your sandberg experience now also! 

Sandberg TM4. Lovely well made bass and my goto bass for several years. Limitations for me were mainly finding the Delano pups too civilised, and not wanting to spend ££s on another set of pups; but also transitioning to active basses and preferring 3 band EQs over 2 band. So it was not for me and I've since moved mine on and subsequently discovered the delights of Ibbys, Yammys and most recently Spectors (having flirted with a couple of Warwicks along the way).

But there are plenty of BC'ers who hold Bergs in very high regard and are very happy with them.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, javi_bassist said:

I use the same Ernie Ball that I used in my Jazz Bass Hybrid Slinky (orange bag)

Okay cool, thanks, so standard long scale I assume? 

Don't think I'm going to have time to restring it before the gig tmrw night, but I'm sure I'll cope fine with the stock strings. 

Really hope it's every bit as good as I think it's gonna be! 😁

2 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Okay cool, thanks, so standard long scale I assume? 

Don't think I'm going to have time to restring it before the gig tmrw night, but I'm sure I'll cope fine with the stock strings. 

Really hope it's every bit as good as I think it's gonna be! 😁

Hope you like the bass, I used the stock string for some time, not a bad string, but I changed to Ernie Ball Super Slinky 2834 Nickel Strings 45-100 (Pink Bag)

Then after that Ernie Ball Group 3 Flats 45 to 100, I still have them on, but depends what type of music you're playing !  

I would say you'll have to set it up to your own liking,   anyway best of luck with the new bass.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, whamni said:

Hope you like the bass, I used the stock string for some time, not a bad string, but I changed to Ernie Ball Super Slinky 2834 Nickel Strings 45-100 (Pink Bag)

Then after that Ernie Ball Group 3 Flats 45 to 100, I still have them on, but depends what type of music you're playing !  

I would say you'll have to set it up to your own liking,   anyway best of luck with the new bass.

Thanks! Yeah I would imagine they come with D'addario nickel as standard, that's what Yamaha usually use. 

There'll be nothing wrong with them, other than I'm very used to my usual strings! I use Dunlop super brights stainless 40-120,and because of the gauge and lower tension they're so easy to play, and I get on with them really well. May try and change them quickly before the gig, but if not I'll cope. 😊👍

20 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Thanks! Yeah I would imagine they come with D'addario nickel as standard, that's what Yamaha usually use. 

There'll be nothing wrong with them, other than I'm very used to my usual strings! I use Dunlop super brights stainless 40-120,and because of the gauge and lower tension they're so easy to play, and I get on with them really well. May try and change them quickly before the gig, but if not I'll cope. 😊👍

I tried those same Dunlop strings and found them too floppy for my liking. I had to adjust the setup quite a bit to get them playable!

I have a 4-string set of NYXLs, just need to obtain a low B and I'll be trying those out next to see if I prefer them over the regular D'Addario nickels...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

That is delicious.

Once I have chance to restring it with the usuals, it'll be incredible! Just had a quick go with my little practice amp, and it seems great! Yamaha have always been good value, but for me this new range really steps it up. For me the only compromise is the bridge on this model, but I may get some brass saddles for it. There's actually nothing wrong with it though, works fine! 

Setup is fine out the box, and the neck is finished superbly. 

Impressed. True test at tonight's gig though! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Excellent - let us know how you get on!

What sort of material do you guys play?

Will do, just about to start. 

Rock covers really, everything from stones and beatles through to foo fighters etc, via a bit of ska and footloose!