Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

3 hours ago, TRBboy said:

That's quite interesting, I've not played one of the newest series, but they've been touting them as having thinner necks than the previous series. 

I really can’t  put finger on it. I’m not suggesting it’s a chunky neck at all, but I’m very comfortable with my jazz neck, and just as comfortable with my P, but P34 just throws me a bit. Really, if it was the only bass I had I wouldn’t complain, the issue is i do others that I can see me going back to for the comfort. 
its funny but for some things I find the P34 so easy to play, I guess having the nut end of the neck slimmer helps, and the tone is way ahead of my Fender, but it’s just the comfort side that is the issue. 

Edited by dave_bass5

39 minutes ago, Cato said:

Sometimes you just know that an instrument is 'wrong' for you.

You may not be able work out exactly why that may be, but if it feels wrong it is wrong.

Someone else will probably love it though.

Totally agree. 

What confuses me a bit is that Dave is still loving his 425, which isn't going to be a million miles from his P34 in body shape. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Totally agree. 

What confuses me a bit is that Dave is still loving his 425, which isn't going to be a million miles from his P34 in body shape. 

Slightly bigger body, certainly wider - and I think if I’m reading it right it’s more how it feels neck wise, and the 425 is a flatter wider profile

• Like 1

I’m not sure it’s the radius, as the P34 is 10” and my Fender/Squiers are 9.5’ so not much in it. 
Could be the frets though. I find they are more noticeable than on the other basses, even that is not really the reason. I loved this bass when I first got it, and really, i do still love it, but having had the Fender out recently I just feel there is no point having a £1000 bass sitting around not getting used. The Fender has less life in it, less punch and has a warmer tone. I really, really prefer the P34 over the Fender tone, but it just sits better in my hand. Harder to play, but more comfortable.

Been going back and forth between the two tonight, and each time I plug one in I feel this is the one, then I plug the other in and feel that’s the one. One has the tone and more playable neck, the other feels more comfortable to play. Bugger lol.

My 5 string  basses have a narrower string spacing, and yes, are flatter. In fact I like playing 5 string basses because they do feel more comfortable to play because of the string spacing, but I really don’t   want to go full time 5 string. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

I can see that you're going to need to spend some quality time in the company of a P35, 'cos from everything you've just said in terms of tone and wanting to get back into 5ers it could be just what you're looking for. 

I happen to know a narcissistic BCer who might just be prepared to let you borrow one for free for a couple of months... :)

• Like 1

I definitely have no inclination to go back to 5 string as such, and as I’ve said a few times I doubt I’d buy an expensive one now I have the 425. 
I like messing around with 5 string basses, but always end up back with 4. No point spending a lot of money when I know I’ll not play it  much. 

Thanks very much for the offer though, I assume you mean your P35 and not the KS? 😳

I'm sure you've read all this before, but it's strange the neck spec for the BB range is more or less the same !

I'm sure you're long enough at the game to have it set up the way you want it. 

I discovered with my 734 I can get the relief down to 0.20mm and action on E to 1.80mm, with no buzz.  but then I use flats  

But if it don't feel comfortable to play, maybe it's time to move it on, just a pity as I think they are a great bass and I've played Musicman all my life !

Yamaha spec.JPG

Thanks, i think @Al Krow posted that already. Useful info.

Yep, action is as good as ill get it, but its not the action that's the problem. Relief is at .0082 (same as my Fender and Squier) and action is 2.25 with no buzz unless i dig in. I play with a pick so cant go too low.

As i said, sitting down at home it plays like a dream, but when i stand up it just doesn't feel as comfortable. Again, im talking comfort rather than playability if that makes sense. Could also be the feel of the back of the neck. I love the smooth gloss finish on my other basses, and while the sating doesn't really bother me on the P34 its still a different feel.

ill put it up for sale but wont push it, i really want to get it working for me but ultimately i dont think ill ever really gel with it while i have the Fender here (and thats never going to go)

I wonder if i can buy one of the pickups to put in my Fender

Could also be the feel of the back of the neck. I love the smooth gloss finish on my other basses

Funny thing, I have noticed, the back of my 734 has lost it's matt finish and gone gloss ! 

At the gig last Sat night the neck got very sticky, so I used a baby wipe lol, cleaned the back of the neck,  then a micro cloth,  problem solved.

Just wondering if that could help with your BB 

Hope you get it solved.

Edited by whamni

Not all satin finishes are created equal. The same applies for gloss. 

@dave_bass5 I think I may have posted a few pages back about preferring the Fender Am Pro Precision V neck to the Yamaha P35 neck. I fully stick by that with the addition that I also prefer my BB735a neck to the P35 neck. And I think it might be entirely down to the difference in finish - they’re both satin in a general sense but each executed differently, with the result being that the 735 feels noticeably better (for me)

• Like 2

I guess the neck finish and whether satin or gloss must be very personal and affects us each differently, otherwise there would be just one neck finish that everyone would be demanding! In terms of the necks, the shape is identical for the 735A and the P35 and I do find the Yammy necks to be very comfortable to play.  Having had both the 735A and the P35 at the same time for a couple of months, in deciding which one to keep the finish on the back of the neck was just not a deciding factor at all for me.

But I know that the original owner of the BBNE2 in my possession did mention that he found the gloss neck finish too 'cool' on that to work well with, if I remember correctly, the moisture from his hands when playing. And I certainly have had a couple of basses which were just not particularly comfortable to play for me in terms of their body shape and weight distribution  - a Warwick $$ and more recently a Squier Bass VI. So there are definitely factors at work at the minutiae level that are likely unique to us individually, like our own body shapes and whether the bass sits comfortable when standing vs when we are sitting - which is another point that Dave has raised but not mentioned by anyone else on this thread as far as I can remember in relation to Yammy basses.

There's clearly no substitute for 'living with' any bass to see if it works for us! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

I spent some time measuring both necks last night. I got a set of digital calipers (never had Caliper GAS before but saw a few members have them).

I really cant find a noticeable difference between the two necks, other than the P34 has a slimmer nut. Im fine with my Jazz bass so its not that. Action is almost the same, both within .5mm at the most. Its not the back to front dimension as i thought. 

Then it struck me, its more likely the frets. The Fender has quite low frets, and the nut slot is very low, although i know thats out of the equation once you start fretting (probably need to get a new one soon, although its not an issue), my Squiers have Vintage frets, as does my Sire i beleive as well. This gives me the effect having the strings feel like they are more part of the fretboard, rather than sitting above it if that makes sense. When im playing, the frets are more noticeable and i can feel them more. This is probably where the comfort thing is coming from. The frets arent sticking out or anything, no buzz on certain frets etc, its just that they are taller or very slightly more prominent. Its not a set up thing, as i can play the bass fine, and as ive said the action is what i get on my other basses.

27 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I spent some time measuring both necks last night. I got a set of digital calipers (never had Caliper GAS before but saw a few members have them).

I really cant find a noticeable difference between the two necks, other than the P34 has a slimmer nut. Im fine with my Jazz bass so its not that. Action is almost the same, both within .5mm at the most. Its not the back to front dimension as i thought. 

Then it struck me, its more likely the frets. The Fender has quite low frets, and the nut slot is very low, although i know thats out of the equation once you start fretting (probably need to get a new one soon, although its not an issue), my Squiers have Vintage frets, as does my Sire i beleive as well. This gives me the effect having the strings feel like they are more part of the fretboard, rather than sitting above it if that makes sense. When im playing, the frets are more noticeable and i can feel them more. This is probably where the comfort thing is coming from. The frets arent sticking out or anything, no buzz on certain frets etc, its just that they are taller or very slightly more prominent. Its not a set up thing, as i can play the bass fine, and as ive said the action is what i get on my other basses.

That's quite an important insight Dave. Given everything else really positive you've said about the bass in terms of loving the tone, really positive feedback from your band, playing it for 5 hours continuously when you got back from hols recently etc etc., sounds to me that getting some fret 'dressing' done to lower the frets may be the win win for you with this bass?

Best speak to someone with a LOT more expertise on this stuff than me, though! Someone like @Andyjr1515 for example.

Well i had thought about getting a PLEK done, but im loath to spend more money on it. It might not even be the real reason, although i know it would play better. The fact that it does when im sitting down i really cant see that the frets are just the issue.

The fly in the ointment is i love my Fender bass, and while im not making these issues up, maybe i am subconsciously wanting to get rid of the P34 so i can go back to the Fender without the guilt of having a £1300 bass sitting gathering dust.

• Like 1

Should add, i also still think its the shape of the neck, even though the dimensions aren't that much different.

Not going to push for a quick sale though, and ill try and live with it. After all, as you say ive spent so many hours enjoying it that it would be a real shame to give up on it.

I don't think PLEK will help with the fret shape. But I understand what you are saying regarding the fret size and I agree, I feel the same regarding the Yamaha frets. Never really looking at it before and I have only ever played a Fender for a decent amount of time on one occasion and the frets were quite flat but it did feel very comfortable. 

Maybe a reshape could be the answer? 

19 minutes ago, 2elliot said:

I don't think PLEK will help with the fret shape. But I understand what you are saying regarding the fret size and I agree, I feel the same regarding the Yamaha frets. Never really looking at it before and I have only ever played a Fender for a decent amount of time on one occasion and the frets were quite flat but it did feel very comfortable. 

Maybe a reshape could be the answer? 

This is why im loath to get work done, as i dont know what the real issue is to start with. it could be a combination of more than one.

Dave I’m just curious to know what year your Fender is, I ask because I’m thinking it could be the radius of the fret board that’s causing the problem.

You said you have both instruments set up the same, i.e.  neck relief, action @ the 12th fret, string height at the Nut and first fret etc.

If that is the case, they would play different because of the fret boards  being a different radius.

Because the Yamaha has a 10 inch radius,  you can afford to set the relief, action and string height at the Nut a lot lower than you would with the Fender,  resulting in a very fast playable Yamaha and still dig in without fret buzz.

For reference, the Fender radius could be anything between 7.25 and 9

I have played and set up a variety of bass guitars over the years and it’s amazing the difference you get even between the same make and year of bass/guitar.  

My Fender is a Sandblasted P bass, so made in 2014. As I said above, the neck radius is 9.5”, so very close to the P34. 

All my basses are set up the same, more or less, and all payable. I’m quite OCD about the action. Ive never mentioned action at the nut, other than to say the nut in the Fender is getting worn and quite low. 
I can’t get the action any lower on any bass without buzz, as i play with a pick and do get fret buzz when diffing it a bit too hard. 
I do all my own setups and this bass set up really well, I can’t imagine it getting any better (I know, I’ve tired, it won’t go lower). Its definitely not a set up issue.

Again,  as I’ve said a few times, I have no issues playing the P34, although I find its better when I’m sitting down, it’s just not as comfortable overall as my Fender, even though it plays better. 

cheers anyway.