Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

4 minutes ago, krispn said:

Extends the scale length on one string only you’d think it’d be easier to move the whole bridge unit back an inch but might ironically have something to do with aesthetics!

Yeah, if it does improve the tone or tension, why not put it on the higher end basses where you would expect this to matter just as much.

39 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Today’s ‘ponder’ is why do the cheaper 5 sting basses have the offset B string saddle, but not on the high end ones? 
Obviously we can only speculate, but I’d be interested to know what others think.

I thought it might be to do with the cheaper quality of bridges on the 400 series, maybe it’s not needed on the high mass bridges, but then why not put them on the 200 series as well. 

My tuppence worth would be:

The 200 are not diagonal strung through whereas the 400 and upwards are.

The offset B string saddles were a feature in the older 1 and 2 series 5 string basses, so they may have a bunch of left over stock? 

They don't look quite as good aesthetically as the higher end bridges IMO, so I guess it's part of the small incremental changes in design, build and finish as you head up the BB range.

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, krispn said:

Extends the scale length on one string only you’d think it’d be easier to move the whole bridge unit back an inch but might ironically have something to do with aesthetics!

It doesn't extend the scale length, it's still 34", otherwise the frets would have to be staggered and it would look weird! 😂

The main reason for designing the bridge like that is to reduce the string break angle on the B string, which I could definitely see being a benefit on a BBOT style bridge. It may also be to allow adequate intonation adjustment room on the B, without making the break angle too tight. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Well just before we all rush out and trade our Yammys for Sire V7s(!) here's a second clip of my BB 1025 in action a couple of week's back. It was actually recorded for Dave's benefit 'cos he was interested in finding out whether the Fearless F112 cab had as much / greater clarity than my BF SC in a band mix (the earlier clip from the same gig was posted on the 12" cab thread).

Signal chain was very simple: purely passive BB1025 --> amp (DG M900 on clean) --> F112 cab. No pedals or compression in between. I'll let you be the judge (usual recommendation of listening through headphones) whether you think the BB 1025 cuts through or not.

Thanks for this @Al Krow, very useful and yes, it sounds great! Wish they did a white 435....

Edited by TRBboy

11 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

It doesn't extend the scale length, it's still 34", otherwise the frets would have to be staggered and it would look weird! 😂

The main reason for designing the bridge like that is to reduce the string break angle on the B string, which I could definitely see being a benefit on a BBOT style bridge. It may also be to allow adequate intonation adjustment room on the B, without making the break angle too tight. 

How would it differ between a BBOT and HM bridge?

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

My tuppence worth would be:

The 200 are not diagonal strung through whereas the 400 and upwards are.

The offset B string saddles were a feature in the older 1 and 2 series 5 string basses, so they may have a bunch of left over stock? 

They don't look quite as good aesthetically as the higher end bridges IMO, so I guess it's part of the small incremental changes in design, build and finish as you head up the BB range.

If my 425 didn’t have the bridge that it does I doubt I’d have looked at the P34. Silly as it sounds I just think the bridges on the 200/400 series really cheapen the look. 

14 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

How would it differ between a BBOT and HM bridge?

It wouldn't especially, other than some Hi Mass bridges may be designed in such a way that they're deeper and better designed, with a slightly more friendly break angle and more intonation adjustment. Looking at my BBN5, this is certainly the case. 

When I made the previous comment, I was thinking more about BBOT vs Hipshot/equivalent style bridges I suppose. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

If my 425 didn’t have the bridge that it does I doubt I’d have looked at the P34. Silly as it sounds I just think the bridges on the 200/400 series really cheapen the look. 

If I do end up going for a 435, I suspect I'll probably end up changing the bridge. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yup the only white models in the 3 series seem to be the 235, which is a shame. I'd have loved a white 735A. 

Now that WOULD be cool! I do find myself looking at the 735 quite a bit, it seems features wise to be the same as a Bbp35, just not made in Japan, and with the addition of a preamp! I guess I'm just not sure if it's worth nearly £300 more than the 435, and I'm still not 100% sure about the metally styling. It does look smart though. 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Well forever...until he decides he wants to get a P35 😁

He is a passive BC'er after all! 

Well actually, here's the thing.... I've been playing active basses exclusively for about the last 10 years, but have had a bit of a revelation recently! 

I bought a fender player series jaguar on a whim, and BOOM! Tone heaven! It was perfect for my band! Really nice big, organic sound. I returned it because although I can cope on a 4, I found I did really miss the B string and feel more at home on a 5.

So essentially, I'm kinda trying to replicate that experience with 5 strings.... Therefore the BB range is a strong contender! 

After my post earlier, I'm now looking at the 435 again 🤦‍♂️ indecisive as ever! 

38 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

My finger was hovering over the button.... Just not sure about those pickups, not sure if I'd rather spend a bit more and go for a 435

Ive always hated the sliver surround that Yamaha used. Although only cosmetic Yamaha were a brand i wouldn't really consider when looking for new basses because of this (although i did have a TRBX which loos great).

Now i have one i cant say it bothers me, but i do prefer the more mainstream look of the newer basses.

41 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ive always hated the sliver surround that Yamaha used. Although only cosmetic Yamaha were a brand i wouldn't really consider when looking for new basses because of this (although i did have a TRBX which loos great).

Now i have one i cant say it bothers me, but i do prefer the more mainstream look of the newer basses.

Yeah I do prefer the looks of the new ones, but it's more about the sound really. I had a BB414 a long time ago, and never really loved the sound. I think these ones are ceramic, and from the videos I've watched the new Alnico 5 ones sound better (to me - highly subjective! ) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Yeah I do prefer the looks of the new ones, but it's more about the sound really. I had a BB414 a long time ago, and never really loved the sound. I think these ones are ceramic, and from the videos I've watched the new Alnico 5 ones sound better (to me - highly subjective! ) 

Yeah, my 425 sounds a bit more aggressive compared to my P34. Aggression can easily be added but its a bit harder to take out IME.

Either works fine for me, and to be honest in the recordings ive got from rehearsal with both i cant tell what bass was used unless im playing the low B-D, but i can appreciate the smoother tone will work much better for some. 

If i was to sell my P34 id definitely be looking at a 435.

Blast, i want to get my 425 out now lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Are they THAT good? Have you tried a 435 by any chance as well? 

Yes, before the 735 I tried the 435 (just to see if I could save some bucks). But I felt something with the 735. The neck and the pick ups sounded a little more like the sound in my head. However, I also liked the 435. I wouldn't mind having it in case I need another 5 string bass

• Like 2

Guys, one question: How much do the batteries on your BB73X last?

I thought that if I used it in passive mode it didn't use battery. WRONG. I know that. And I used to leave my 735 plugged. So the battery lasted like 6 months. Then, I learned the things about active basses (do not leave it plugged, in passive mode it also affects the battery) and the battery lasted like 8 months. And it wasn't my main bass at the time so I didn't use it that much. I'm curious if there is something wrong with my unit.