Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

I'm currently trying to use my 735A only in passive mode; I prefer having fewer controls to fiddle with.  I might have bought your BBP35 if it had been sunburst! :D
I had Fender 9050 flats before the Dunlops, which are brighter.  I find the BB pickups have a lot clarity, which I like. You can dial it out if you don't want it; but you couldn't add it in if it wasn't there in the first place.

1 hour ago, MoJo said:

I believe you're right. The BB414/5, BB424/5 and  BB1024's that I've owned have a tone that doesn't get lost in the mix when using both pickups and the bridge pickup can be solo'd without it sounding thin and weedy. Other P/J's I've experienced don't possess that quality. I have heard Tony Franklin say that when he was looking for a bridge pickup for his P-bass, he went for the hottest pickup available at the time. 

I use (or used) the bridge pup only on my 425 to play All right now. Cant do that with any of my other two pup basses.

51 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

I'm currently trying to use my 735A only in passive mode; I prefer having fewer controls to fiddle with.  I might have bought your BBP35 if it had been sunburst! :D
I had Fender 9050 flats before the Dunlops, which are brighter.  I find the BB pickups have a lot clarity, which I like. You can dial it out if you don't want it; but you couldn't add it in if it wasn't there in the first place.

Ok cool re the Dunlops.

Funnily enough, looking back to the very start of this 'mega' thread 2 years ago my first, but short lived due to scratched paintwork on arrival from Yamaha, BB 1025 was a Tobacco Sunburst. But I wouldn't now buy my P35 if it was a 'burst! I've somehow trans'd into a vintage white man. Fickle eh? 😂

...although tbf my love for a BB 1025 hasn't changed a jot in that time, if anything it's grown. And finding a mint vintage white condition BB 1025 seems to have become very rare.

The reason I'm asking about flats is that I'm already considering keeping the P35, which is the nicest 'mainstream' BB I've ever had both tonally and in terms of balance and feel, with its nickel rounds and putting some flats on the 1025. Not sure why it's taken me quite so long to work out that would give me two great PJ basses with brilliant necks but with a sufficiently different sound to warrant keeping both! 

Edited by Al Krow

4 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

Then, since what I used the most are my 4 string basses, last week I bought a used Yamaha BB734a in black. Just as good as my 735.

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Not if you're trying to play a low B, C, D or Eb in the middle of a song 😂

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by MoJo

For the first time in weeks, I didn't find this thread on the first page! I'm currently editing together a full video running through all the tonal possibilities of the BB735A (which it turns out between blending pickups and active and passive EQ is quite a lot!) as I feel I owe the world one, and something more detailed than Yamaha's original vids at release.

In the meantime, I took just one camera angle and a handful of the passive tone option from the longer vid and put together a brief demo, which I think goes some way to explaining why so many of us are running our 734/5s in passive mode!

• Like 5

On 31/07/2019 at 10:14, Al Krow said:

Not if you're trying to play a low B, C, D or Eb in the middle of a song 😂

But, more seriously, congrats - there are a lot of very happy 734a / 735a users on this thread. You do realise you are now required to post some pictures of your 734/5 twins don't you? :) 

Hahahahaha, true

Ok, so the crappy pic (my phone updated its version and it does weird things with the light in the pics)

1488425084_YamahaBBs.thumb.jpg.1c4bf59a0d73c72c97fc0386663ba325.jpg

• Like 3

On 26/05/2019 at 23:18, Horizontalste said:

This was the "one that got away", absolutely beautiful to play & once belonged to @Machines many years ago!

IMAG0132.jpg

Does anybody have any idea where those volume and tone knobs came from?
The stock ones on my BB614 (chrome with 2 rubber strips for grip) look and feel great but there's no indicator dot or line so I can't see where they are set. 
(I keep meaning to loosen them off and rotate them so that I can use the screw holes as position indicators but I'd prefer a new set.)
Looks like there's a Gotoh 201 on there too.

8 minutes ago, Baceface said:

Does anybody have any idea where those volume and tone knobs came from?
The stock ones on my BB614 (chrome with 2 rubber strips for grip) look and feel great but there's no indicator dot or line so I can't see where they are set. 
(I keep meaning to loosen them off and rotate them so that I can use the screw holes as position indicators but I'd prefer a new set.)
Looks like there's a Gotoh 201 on there too.

They’re TRB knobs 

• Like 1

Guys - those of that have strung your BBs with flats (particularly 5ers), what brands are you using. I've had a strong recommendation to try out TI flats, but would be interested in what else folk are liking a lot and work well with the BB PJ set up?

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

I'm using Dunlops which I really like.  I really didn't get on with TI Flats (in the past, on a different bass)... I guess they sound nice enough, but I found them too limp and floppy!

Cheers John, yup that was 'floppy' character was commented on as a feature of the TI Flats.

Grateful if I could ask for the gauge of your Dunlops and where you are buying yours from, please?

4 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Don't suppose anyone owns a BB 415 in Orange Metallic? :)

Si

If anyone has one of these it's likely to be the Mr BB himself @AndyTravis

8 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I’m down to 1BB now 😟

i did have a 415, but can’t remember what I had on it - I’d say 40-125 was likely 

Oh wow down to a 1/4 Trav!! We're going to need a new yardstick...😂

I'm sooo in two minds about moving my P35 mine on (a great bass, but on the other hand my 1025 is more than good enough / still brings a grin to my face when I play...), hence the question about stringing one with flats. 

I suspect that flats are going to open up a whole new dimension to the P35 and give a completely different feel to the 1025. And having made the schoolboy error of not selling my old 5 bass rack when I upgraded to a 7 bass rack, there is "unfortunately" still accessible storage capacity in the Krow bass-ment! 

Edited by Al Krow

Just now, Al Krow said:

Oh wow down to a 1/4 Trav!! We're going to need a new yardstick...😂

I'm sooo in two minds about moving my P35 mine on (a great bass, but on the other hand my 1025 is more than good enough / still brings a grin to my face when I play...), hence the question about stringing one with flats. I suspect that flats are going to open up a whole new dimension to the P35 and give a completely different feel to the 1025. And having made the school boy error of not selling my old 5 bass rack when I upgraded to a 7 bass rack, there is "unfortunately" still accessible storage capacity! 

Still got 3 other Yamaha basses.

an interesting interloper is on the way though...

4 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Still got 3 other Yamaha basses.

an interesting interloper is on the way though...

Ooooh, please do fess up! :) 

I've recently had my head turned by the new Jackson signature line which seems to be Fender drawing reverse inspiration from Yammy for once - says something about the quality of Yammys! 

Yammy headstock, PJ config and 3 band EQ. And pricing puts it head to head with the Yammy BB 735A.

The Jackson has reverse P set up, a 35" scale and easy access truss rod adjustment, but is active only.  

The Yammy is 34" and has (much liked) passive as well as active.

Yammy's pups are great, as we know, but I'm hoping that the active EMGs on the Jackson will, in Spector fashion, have quite a kick. 

And the Jackson does come in a tasty white... :)