Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

5 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Hmm. That’s actually not a terrible idea!

But you've got a Dingwall and Sandberg and had MTD: all great brands. I don't recall what pup set-ups you have / had on these but they all do very well regarded J basses.

I'm kinda struggling to understand what it is you'd want a Yammy to bring to the party that these brands aren't already giving you?

17 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

But you've got a Dingwall and Sandberg and had MTD: all great brands. I don't recall what pup set-ups you have / had on these but they all do very well regarded J basses.

I'm kinda struggling to understand what it is you'd want a Yammy to bring to the party that these brands aren't already giving you?

Dingwall do indeed make a J-type, though it costs at least £3k new and ~£2k used. Sandberg make J-types but they’re almost all active (in an ideal world I’d prefer passive) and, sadly, I’m not a fan of the new body shapes. MTD USA falls into a similar boat to my Dingwall argument re: price and MTD Kingston do make J-types (known as the Saratoga) which I’ve considered and not ruled out despite being active, because the Saratoga preamp is arguably even more convenient than the Yamaha preamp.

Still, would you complain if Yamaha made a J??

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Also, this coming from a man who owns a number of basses surely in double figures by now? xDxD

23 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Also, this coming from a man who owns a number of basses surely in double figures by now? xDxD

Haha - I do have a collection and for me each one brings something distinct and special to the party, so I am very content with my herd, thank you!

I'm not feeling any need to get a J bass from Yamaha other than the one I already have (which is excellent btw) - I'm very well catered for on the J bass front by another quality Japanese brand whose Nord pup growl and immensely playable necks I continue to love :) 

Sandberg are surely not purely active though i.e. passive / active option (that was certainly the case on my former TM4) - but I take your point about you not liking the new body shape, that's obviously a personal preference thing.

But Cam there are a ton of really good value and great quality J basses out there - surely the world is your oyster? 

Edited by Al Krow

Just now, Al Krow said:

But Cam there are ton of really good value and great quality J basses out there - surely the world is your oyster? 

To be honest I’ve become enamoured with a Lakland 55-60 at GuitarGuitar but the colour - ice blue metallic :( - is absolutely not my thing. So in theory I’m just waiting on a more favourable colour combo as the bass does everything else I want.

Still, I wouldn’t mind a Yamaha option, given that I know how well made they are. I repeat: would you complain about a Yamaha J bass? ;)

1 minute ago, CameronJ said:

To be honest I’ve become enamoured with a Lakland 55-60 at GuitarGuitar but the colour - ice blue metallic :( - is absolutely not my thing. So in theory I’m just waiting on a more favourable colour combo as the bass does everything else I want.

Still, I wouldn’t mind a Yamaha option, given that I know how well made they are. I repeat: would you complain about a Yamaha J bass? ;)

Cool - so you already know what you're after.

Would I complain about a Yammy J bass: nope.  But would I buy one (assuming there's a hole in my herd that I think needs filling, which there currently isn't)? Well the truth is that would depend how on good they were compared to the competition - it's a crowded market place out there. What I do love about Yammy is just how well they do a PJ bass - for me, it's what they're famous for.

Btw - dunno if the finish on this Lakland 55-60 is more to your liking - it's currently FS in the Bass Gallery:

Body-Front_b0a37122-e08a-4046-96f2-9f60c277ff2a_1600x.jpg?v=1544920209

5 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Their website isn’t up to date. That 55-60 is no longer for sale. There’s also a number of other basses which are either incorrectly showing as still in stock, or in stock and not on the site! Much to my dismay.

That's very frustrating, I agree! Not poss to order directly from Lakland?

There’s the BB604 which you could have a tech do a number on the eq/electronics to render it passive or switchable but it’s 4 string. One near me for not very much money. Basically a budget NE with that NE-1 type mid eq feature. 

Maybe I'm missing something, but surely the answer is that if the only thing wrong with the 55-60 is the colour and otherwise it's just the ticket and there are no other suitably coloured 55-60s likely to be available for a while, then would it be difficult to get it resprayed exactly how you want?

Methinks just the body and front of the headstock would need re-doing.

Going to be a more immediate answer than waiting for Yammy to start making J basses again...

image.png.b3df8ccf854f6512502f0ec5c82044ef.png

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but surely the answer is that if the only thing wrong with the 55-60 is the colour and otherwise it's just the ticket and there are no other suitably coloured 55-60s likely to be available for a while, then would it be difficult to get it resprayed exactly how you want?

Methinks just the body and front of the headstock would need re-doing.

Going to be a more immediate answer than waiting for Yammy to start making J basses again...

image.png.b3df8ccf854f6512502f0ec5c82044ef.png

Given the cost of refinishing a bass to a high standard, I think I’m willing to be patient...

2 hours ago, TJ Spicer said:

All of the TRB ranges are jazz bass pickups in unusual housings. So I guess that caters to that area for now, if you're Yamaha. Still, no passive option and I've never liked the TRB preamps. 

They’re humbuckers though...?

If I wanted a Japanese-made J style bass, I’d do exactly what I did and opt for a Sadowsky Metro (or one of their new MetroExpress models).

There’s one in this photo:141DC106-964D-4D39-9A6B-D0C9999D8C65.thumb.jpeg.36fc63c112b2ff259253da1ddfc417de.jpeg

Oh, and by BB435 was one of two of my basses to get new pickguards. Really like the tort, so much nicer than the cream IMO, thanks @AndyTravis for the referral.

20 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Hmm. That’s actually not a terrible idea!

I brought a Lakland DJ5 a few years ago. Nice bass but I felt the tone was too deep. It just didn’t sound as ‘jazz like’ as my Squier. I got a custom made PG for it and got it converted to a PJ using Nordstrand pups. Kept it for a while but never really got on with it, the deep tone was still present. 

43 minutes ago, TJ Spicer said:

They're all just single-coil pickups (with phantom coils to prevent hum) in larger housings. 

Ah, that’s good to know. Thanks for the heads up!

@therealting that’s a whole lotta aftermarket thumbrest action :o

@dave_bass5 I remember seeing photos of your modded DJ5 over on Talkbass. Looked great! The DJ5 I tried a while ago sounded pretty much identical to the 55-60 on the wall next to it, bright and zingy (in a good way) but I much preferred the neck profile on the 55. 

6 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Ah, that’s good to know. Thanks for the heads up!

@therealting that’s a whole lotta aftermarket thumbrest action :o

@dave_bass5 I remember seeing photos of your modded DJ5 over on Talkbass. Looked great! The DJ5 I tried a while ago sounded pretty much identical to the 55-60 on the wall next to it, bright and zingy (in a good way) but I much preferred the neck profile on the 55. 

I was always disappointed that my TRB6Pii didn't have the punch that humbuckers would have given it, so sadly I only know through research after that experience. Very nearly changed them for Aguilar DCBs but ended up selling instead. TRBX are obviously entirely different, and probably more of the sound I want from a TRB-style instrument. 

Edited by TJ Spicer
  • Like 2

My tastes have possibly changed and I may feel different about the DJ5 now, but I do know my P34 is a much, much better PJ.

I've alway loved Lakeland necks, I even have a maple JO4 neck at home. Never played an American one though. I’ve heard they are amazing. 

I was really pleased with how the P34 felt on first play. Almost as wide as my fender P (which itself has a narrower neck), but slightly wider than jazz necks that I prefer. 

Just perfect, other than a non glossy fishing on the back. I am coming round to the satin feel though. 

As for the TBRX505 I had, the pups sounded quite flat to me. Not usable, but not really inspiring. A bit like the Lakland 55-01 I had. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1