Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

6 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Talking of MHS (or MH?), its a shame Yamaha didn't match the headstock on the P34/35 to the body, at least on the dark blue version. A bit of cost cutting i imagine. Shame as its not a cheap bass.

I actually prefer the natural wood HS on P35 to a midnight blue one, so I guess it's squarely aimed at the more middle-aged-spread (MAS) gent like myself 😂

Edited by Al Krow

11 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Yup, just like that, tho with a lighter, much browner board. I've some wood dye I was thinking of darkening it with, but it may do as it is.

Aha - sounds like the one posted by @sykilz a little while back? No need for wood dye IMO, looks great as it is! 

ABE009A9-6A01-4178-9195-561C463A54EA.thumb.jpeg.dcb03273a6e4957528b6f1e1230e71ea.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I actually prefer the natural wood HS on P35 to a midnight blue one, so I guess it's squarely aimed at the more middle-aged-spread (MAS) gent like myself 😂

It doesn't bother me that its black, i think it looks close enough, and as its a RW fretboard i dont mind a coloured headstock, but i can see that the same neck is used on different finishes, and the 734/735.

13 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

It doesn't bother me that its black, i think it looks close enough, and as its a RW fretboard i dont mind a coloured headstock, but i can see that the same neck is used on different finishes, and the 734/735.

Ah yes - I see what you mean. It's natural wood on the side and rear of the P34/5 headstock (which is obviously what I see when I'm playing it) but black rather than midnight blue on the front of the headstock. Must admit I hadn't noticed - so good spot by you! And I agree the HS paint colour should really match the body colour, particularly on their flagship passive BB.

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

the HS paint colour should really match the body colour, particularly on their flagship passive BB.

Perhaps for solid colours - but no bass should ever have a sunburst headstock... (IMHO)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ah yes - I see what you mean. It's natural wood on the side and rear of the P34/5 headstock (which is obviously what I see when I'm playing it) but black rather than midnight blue on the front of the headstock. Must admit I hadn't noticed - so good spot by you! And I agree the HS paint colour should really match the body colour, particularly on their flagship passive BB.

This is curious. The headstock on my 735 is black all over. Front, back and sides. It’s definitely the same on both the matte black 734/5s which it obviously matches, and the sunburst ones. But since neither of the P34/5 colours is black, it seems odd that the front of the headstocks would be black? I’d never actually noticed it before but it looks great on the sunburst P34/5 IMO as it seems to be an extension of the black edges of the burst. See below

144A986E-81DC-468E-90B3-B45B1B225CC1.thumb.jpeg.c9f291f22971d3963dc23921caead9c6.jpeg

But on the Midnight Blue version it just seems like a poor match - though again I have to say I hadn’t noticed it before. I think the Midnight Blue version would look much better with a natural finished headstock.

D1189880-3A53-4504-9C20-04D549C4EC56.thumb.jpeg.6ccb817e832474054d310722f8ec4db6.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I went off to try and find a natural HS P35, wasn't sure if it was a special run lol. Now we are both on the same page.

9 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Perhaps for solid colours - but no bass should ever have a sunburst headstock... (IMHO)

Totally agree, although i do like the look of the Stingray headstock.

5 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

This is curious. The headstock on my 735 is black all over. Front, back and sides. It’s definitely the same on both the matte black 734/5s which it obviously matches, and the sunburst ones. But since neither of the P34/5 colours is black, it seems odd that the front of the headstocks would be black? I’d never actually noticed it before but it looks great on the sunburst P34/5 IMO as it seems to be an extension of the black edges of the burst. See below

But on the Midnight Blue version it just seems like a poor match - though again I have to say I hadn’t noticed it before. I think the Midnight Blue version would look much better with a natural finished headstock.

Ah, i wasn't aware of the black all over on the 734/735. im glad the P34/35 aren't though. i think that would bug me.

Agree the black matches the sunburst perfectly though.

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

I went off to try and find a natural HS P35, wasn't sure if it was a special run lol. Now we are both on the same page.

Totally agree, although i do like the look of the Stingray headstock.

Haha - this is going to annoy me now that I've you've noticed it and pointed it out to the rest of us. I suspect the easiest option would be to simply strip the paint back to the natural wood on the headstock, although it shouldn't be a biggie to get it resprayed in midnight blue either.

But once I've started meddling I know I'm just going to end up going the whole hog...😁

Yamaha BB425 - that finish!.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ah, i wasn't aware of the black all over on the 734/735. im glad the P34/35 aren't though. i think that would bug me.

Agree the black matches the sunburst perfectly though.

Indeed. And it’s a matte finish on the 734/5 whereas the black front face of the P34/5 headstock is glossy, which actually matches the gloss finish of the sunburst P34/5 basses better than the matte equivalent on the sunburst 734/5

Just now, CameronJ said:

Indeed. And it’s a matte finish on the 734/5 whereas the black front face of the P34/5 headstock is glossy, which actually matches the gloss finish of the sunburst P34/5 basses better than the matte equivalent on the sunburst 734/5

I really love the matt finish on the 734/5. One of the nicest black finishes ive seen. One of the things that attracted me to my old TRBX505 was the matt finish.

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Haha - this is going to annoy me now that I've you've noticed it and pointed it out to the rest of us. I suspect the easiest option would be to simply strip the paint back to the natural wood on the headstock, although it shouldn't be a biggie to get it resprayed in midnight blue either.

But once I've started meddling I know I'm just going to end up going the whole hog...😁

Yamaha BB425 - that finish!.jpg

That bass woudl be great during the boring songs, something to colour in lol.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I really love the matt finish on the 734/5. One of the nicest black finishes ive seen. One of the things that attracted me to my old TRBX505 was the matt finish.

Yeah I have to agree. It is utterly glorious in every way. 

• Like 1

A quick gig update from yesterday. I played at the Hampstead summer festival in north London. Outdoors on a wooden stage.

i was helping out my guitarist other band, and this was the first time out with my P34. It performed like a dream. I got a few comments about the bass from a couple of other bass platers.

Backline was an Ashdown ABM EVOII combo, might have been a 410, im not sure now. Never been a fan of Ashdown, even though i have had 3 amps from them, but this sounded really full and punchy no matter who was playing through it. There was  PA support, but it sounded great in the crowd.

The bass felt so easy to play. Tone wise i love how tight every note sounds, none of the muddy stuff interfering with them like my Fender has. Ok, it lacks a bit of girth (gigaddy), but more than makes up for in punch, which is what ive been looking for over the years.

Im really starting to appreciate how rigid the bass and neck feel. i don't know how to describe it, and im sure most of you know what i mean, but it just feels like there are no limitations to it, in the right hands of course. Every note will sound just as it should, and with almost the same authority.

I also love the body size. it feels like it was made for me. it make me feel its like a compact powerhouse. Ive even stopped using my BDDI now, as i feel the bass has most of what i need without an always on Pre amp. I plan on using just my Mojomojo for dirt, at least for now, but ive given up on using an always on effect.

I really enjoyed the gig, but oh my, the singers.......... I m happy to share this as its not my band. Really nice guys/girls, but need a lot more practice.

EDIT: Actually i should point out the female singer went on after this band and fronted a jazz band, and she sounded fine.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

Hi everyone. I'm doubting about getting either a BB435 or a BB735. I'm not into fiddling too much, so I wouldn't mind getting the passive one. But I heard the neck feels much better in the 735. Any experiences with both basses here? Thanks!

Edited by martisanma

5 minutes ago, martisanma said:

Hi everyone. I'm doubting about getting either a BB435 or a BB735. I'm not into fiddling too much, so I wouldn't mind getting the passive one. But I heard the neck feels much better in the 735. Any experiences with both basses here? Thanks!

Both basses feel very nice to play. I would happily own both of them! The neck finishes are a bit different - 735 is a kind of painted satin finish, whereas the 435 is more like bare wood. Both feel great but the 735 is a little bit smoother. 

10 minutes ago, martisanma said:

I don’t fiddle much either. I run 735 passive most of the time and then drop the EQ in for the odd slap bass part for some extra booty. The fact that’s it’s bypass-able with passive tone is what makes the active the best choice for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find i do fiddle if there is something fiddle with. I had this with my old Lakland, TRBX, and my Sire V7. Run them in passive mode i thought, less to worry about, but then id start thinking 'what if i use active'.... The temptation was always there.

8 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

Band decided to tune down half a tone. Bought DR Drop down tuning strings.  Rehearsal on wednesday ... put the strings on the 3000... sounds strange for me, I don't like drop tunings... we'll see if it will work out...

Me neither.

Get one of those Helixy Stomp gizmo thingies and you can drop tune or change to whatever key you like at the press of footswitch. 

Or buy a 5 string. Apparently Yammy make these too. And you can then take the key down by a whole 5 semitones and still sound completely authentic 😁

7 hours ago, martisanma said:

I might end up getting a 735 some day if curiosity gets the better of me, but the 435 is absolutely brilliant. I suppose in comparison the 735 might feel a little richer, and the preamp should be a nice bonus, but I doubt there is much to be gained in the way it plays.

• Like 1