Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

I realise this is a somewhat cheap and cheerful example of the BB genre but it's my only bass and I've just picked it up again after years of it just sitting there. (It's my first post in almost five years.) 

It's an early BB614 that I bought new and I must confess that it was the natural colour as much as anything that I liked about it! I did try a couple of Squiers at similar prices and the Yamaha seemed a bit nicer, although I realise that Squier have upped their game a lot recently with things like the Classic Vibe range (assuming the basses are as good as the guitars).

2187450673_69ecde4381_b.jpg

I'm once again considering "upgrades" but probably lack the judgement to know what, if anything would make it better. I like the look of the Gotoh 201 - but accept the original seems to work just fine.

I've read a lot about the active eq being the weak link in these. I must confess that I don't find the eq of any real use to me as I just stick to blending the pickups and rolling back some treble for the sounds I use. Does it make sense to upgrade the eq (something like the Glockenklang 3 band appeals but it's expensive) or even just get the eq disconnected and replaced with a passive tone control? I'm not too hot with a soldering iron so I'd probably pay a tech to do the work. Trouble is that if I replaced the bridge, preamp and got some lighter tuners (the weight is OK at 9lb 1oz but lighter would be nicer) I'd be well on the way to the cost of a CV Jazz or Precision. Not sure if they would be better but they'd offer another option sound-wise.

• Like 1

Hey - welcome back to BC! That's actually a lovely looking bass - it can be hard to beat natural wood grain in terms of finish!

Rather than upgrading the bridge and preamp, given that you're not a big user of active EQ and how you're using your EQ seems to be exactly how a lot of us with passive Yammy BBs use ours, just wondering whether it would be worth considering getting a used BB 434 or indeed the 424 that's currently in the FS, which are both purely passive?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Guest MoJo
8 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Offered you mine...‘‘tis on it’s where to meet my old bb1100

I know mate. I can’t really afford it at the moment and prefer passive over active, but fell in love with that grain. Just GAS talking

Nice little shoot out, including several Yammys...

• Yamaha Nathan East (Pensa Preamp)
  • Sadowsky NYC Chambered 21 Fret
  • Sadowsky NYC Chambered 24 Fret
  • Dingwall Combustion (Sadowsky Preamp Mod)
  • Yamaha 1005 Ibanez ATK
  • Yamaha Attitude (4 String with Pensa Preamp)
  • Fender American Deluxe (J Retro Preamp Mod)
  • Fender American Deluxe (Pensa Preamp)
  • Yamaha TRB5P2 (he would like to try!)

Edited by Al Krow

On 03/07/2019 at 12:58, Al Krow said:

Nice little shoot out, including several Yammys...

• Yamaha Nathan East (Pensa Preamp)
  • Sadowsky NYC Chambered 21 Fret
  • Sadowsky NYC Chambered 24 Fret
  • Dingwall Combustion (Sadowsky Preamp Mod)
  • Yamaha 1005 Ibanez ATK
  • Yamaha Attitude (4 String with Pensa Preamp)
  • Fender American Deluxe (J Retro Preamp Mod)
  • Fender American Deluxe (Pensa Preamp)
  • Yamaha TRB5P2 (he would like to try!)

There's some mighty low end from almost all of these on my Yamaha MSP7 Monitors in my studio! Worryingly liked the BBNE2 again 🤦‍♂️ I would have thought the Sadowsky PJ would win me over no question 😬 

41 minutes ago, TJ Spicer said:

There's some mighty low end from almost all of these on my Yamaha MSP7 Monitors in my studio! Worryingly liked the BBNE2 again 🤦‍♂️ I would have thought the Sadowsky PJ would win me over no question 😬 

Hah! They did sound good through a decent monitor, I agree. There's a white NE2 currently in the FS! 

Whatever you do, Tyler, don't ever try a Ken Smith...it will leave you with a sense of "Oh my gawd, can a bass really ever be this good?". Ok I appreciate that's a bit of Yammy heresy!! 😄 

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Next step for The Orange bass...

NOS attitude bridge.

will need routing (has body anchors under plate and slight variation in screw pattern) so BB is out of action for a bit.

EB62612F-0268-4B98-BC9C-EAD4B90AAF88.jpeg

Looks a bit more brown than orange 

Brorange

11 hours ago, bassfan said:

Let me know when you want to sell that orange one mate. 😃👍🏻

So you're selling your red 424 and want to replace it with an orange BB.

Couldn't you just leave yours in the sun for a couple of years to fade instead, while you travel around the eastern home counties brandishing a Status?! 😁

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So you're selling your red 424 and want to replace it with an orange BB.

Couldn't you just leave yours in the sun for a couple of years to fade instead, while you travel around the eastern home counties brandishing a Status?! 😁

Just really like the orange and the MHS! 

MHS = matching head stock headstock

BHS = British Home Stores (now defunct) 

NHS = National Health S😂ervice

Just in case any of our international BB players on this thread were wondering... 

Edited by Al Krow
Fixed :)
  • Thanks 1