Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

10 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Just weighed my two Yamaha’s. 

The 425 came out at 10lbs and the P34 at 9.2lbs. My Fender P weighs just 8lbs, but i like the feel and weigh of the P34 better. I like a bit of substance to make me feel like ive got my money’s  worth lol. 

Ah, in which case I now totally understand why your 425 is your favourite bass of the lot! 😂

4 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Well the Sire is heavier, and white so technically.........😃

The only time weight bothers me is when I’m crying the bloody things. Playing them is never a problem 

Did you get some steel shoulder implants by any chance? I hear they were all the rage in the 70s with the advent of metal. 

Funny I weighed my collection last week and my Musicman is 10.21lb that's why it hangs on the wall now, my Sire V7 is 9.29 lb (it's for sale) the Yamaha 734 8.69lb that's my player

and the Gibson 335 is 9.7lb, I was just curious with that one lol 

I was going to get myself a Jack Casady around the time i purchased the Sire, wish I had now lol

Way back about 100 years ago lol  I had a Wilson bass, it was styled on the 335 body and  built in England somewhere, loved it, and now they fetch big bucks, if you can find one 

22 minutes ago, whamni said:

I was going to get myself a Jack Casady around the time i purchased the Sire, wish I had now lol

Way back about 100 years ago lol  I had a Wilson bass, it was styled on the 335 body and  built in England somewhere, loved it, and now they fetch big bucks, if you can find one 

I got mine on the spur of the moment. Only had it for about 4 months. Lovely bass but i had no use for it. 

9 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

Arrrgh.... when I bought my 734a it was a toss up between that and the red JC... you've made me lust after the red JC again now!!!😂

Haha,  JC is a great bass but i found it quite uncomfortable to play, especially sitting down. I dont miss it at all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

I know what you mean... mine used to dig into my forearm... but weirdly I found it ok to play sitting down...

I must admit sitting down was uncomfortable but standing was more painful. As you say, it digs in to your forearm. Probably worse for pick playing as i rest my hand on the bridge most of the time. 

What a tone though 🙂

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I must admit sitting down was uncomfortable but standing was more painful. As you say, it digs in to your forearm. Probably worse for pick playing as i rest my hand on the bridge most of the time. 

What a tone though 🙂

Ha.... I was just thinking... maybe I  was being daft wanting to get another one (had a black one)...and you went and finished with...

"What a tone though" ..... bugger!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

Ha.... I was just thinking... maybe I  was being daft wanting to get another one (had a black one)...and you went and finished with...

"What a tone though" ..... bugger!

lol, it had its uses but I didn’t think it was very versatile. More a one trick pony than a P bass IMO. 

Edited by dave_bass5

On 15/06/2019 at 22:26, whamni said:

Glad it's working out for you, I don't have the P34 but I do have a BB734, I was getting a bad sound from the E string (very dead thud) I  turned the saddle around to work in the same way it's setup on a 5 string and now I have great sustain and sounds a lot better.   I played a Music man since 1980 and it took a while to adjust to the Yamaha, but I must admit it's a great bass to play and a lot lighter on the shoulder after a two hour gig lol, happy days.

Yamaha BB734 Bridge.jpg

I've just switched the saddle back around on my 735A on the B and it's made a massive difference to its punch and clarity. Crazy! I'm debating switching them all over, but that might end up being a bit too much of a clank machine for my liking on the higher strings. How are people currently running the setup on their bridges? What are your thoughts on the reverse saddles?

T

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TJ Spicer said:

I've just switched the saddle back around on my 735A on the B and it's made a massive difference to its punch and clarity. Crazy! I'm debating switching them all over, but that might end up being a bit too much of a clank machine for my liking on the higher strings. How are people currently running the setup on their bridges? What are your thoughts on the reverse saddles?

T

When i next change stings i might have a go at reversing them all on my P34, just to see it if does make a difference. I do hope it doesn't give a Badass II effect though.

By the way, i saw your Hercules folding stand review last night and have ordered one just based on that 🙂

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

When i next change stings i might have a go at reversing them all on my P34, just to see it if does make a difference. I do hope it doesn't give a Badass II effect though.

By the way, i saw your Hercules folding stand review last night and have ordered one just based on that 🙂

Ah amazing! Great little stand. I don't go anywhere without it. Thank you for watching! 

Do report back if you go for the all switched option!

Edited by TJ Spicer

8 minutes ago, TJ Spicer said:

Ah amazing! Great little stand. I don't go anywhere without it. Thank you for watching! 

Do report back if you go for the all switched option!

No problem, you have a good channel. I almost  had the 735a off Bas, but was too slow to grab it 🙂

It worked out well for both of us. 

Well, the BB’s continue to be a firm favourite...but upon reflection while the sound of the attitude with a mudbucker wasn’t what I needed; I loved the feel and shape.

A01CA306-448A-45A2-9688-B2787C260323.thumb.jpeg.e0aa7c2c7c00666f7bb5b68ea75bf235.jpeg

So this is happening. 

Back to 4 Yamahas. 

A Full ‘Trav’

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Well, the BB’s continue to be a firm favourite...but upon reflection while the sound of the attitude with a mudbucker wasn’t what I needed; I loved the feel and shape.

A01CA306-448A-45A2-9688-B2787C260323.thumb.jpeg.e0aa7c2c7c00666f7bb5b68ea75bf235.jpeg

So this is happening. 

Back to 4 Yamahas. 

A Full ‘Trav’

Your ability to find the weird and wonderful Yamaha models never fails to impress Andy. 

Looks ace! 

• Thanks 1