Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

8 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Guys, ive just ordered a BBP34, based on me loving the 425 i got last week. The 425 is great but i dont think I really want to use a 5 string bass all the time, so back to a 4 for now. I know there are cheaper alternatives but what the hell, i saw it for a great price (new) and i guess it doesnt really get much better at this price point...

...And still loving the 425 ive only had for a week. Thats not going anywhere in the near future. 

Wow, congrats Dave!! 

8 days to go from a BB425 to a BB P34. Took some of us a couple of years to make a similar journey! 😀 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 07/06/2019 at 21:41, Al Krow said:

I've had a couple of BC'ers mention to me that they were interested in getting hold of a Yamaha BB 1025 (or 1025X).

Just had a trawl through various bass websites on their behalf and managed find a grand total of ZERO currently available for sale in the UK!

Are these starting to become 'collectables' or do you guys know of any in vgc that might be available?

1 hour ago, NotAsGoodAsJaco said:

Enough already! Someone please sell me a BB1025!

... and the trouble is they are great basses, so I totally get why you're after one and why folk are holding onto theirs! 

1 hour ago, NotAsGoodAsJaco said:

Enough already! Someone please sell me a BB1025!

Thats the bass i actually wanted but couldn't wait, so im stuck with a P34 🙂

And yes, i know the 1025 is 5 string, but having had time to re think what i wanted i decided to go for 4.

Edited by dave_bass5

Well I revived my new P34 today. Got it from Kenny’s in Glasgow for a good price. Very happy with it, or rather happy that I’m not disappointed lol.

Just got home and tuned it up. Seems nice (bare with me). Just need to get my own strings on it. I think the ones it comes with are a bit thinner than i normally use. I was expecting XL’s but all the ball ends are brass coloured, not sure if they are stock or not. There is a bit or tarnishing on one of the neck washers, but now I’m being very picky and too OCD. Not an issue at all. 

Set up is as good as i need. Action is just over 2mm at the 12th, my preferred height, and neck is almost straight. I always shim my necks, i like the action to stay constant above the 12th fret. Not sure I’ll bother with the P3 or 425. Seems like it might be a bit harder due to the way the bolts go in. Not a bit deal though, and the P34 definitely wont get shimmed. 

The neck is very similar to the Lakland JO neck i have. Flat and narrow. A very good thing and it feels very fast. Not quite as comfortable (yet) as my Squier CV Jazz, but a neck i will definitely come to prefer. I do wish it was a good backed neck though. It feels spacious, more than my CV Jazz neck, even though the string spacing is the same at the bridge. 

Tone through my B1 and headphones sounds good. Having just got used to the more aggressive 425,  the P34 sounds a bit plain,  and while not lacking power certainly lacks a bit of punch the 425 has. I was aware of this before getting it so its not a negative, just an observation on first play. Its certainly a good P bass, as good as my Fender Sandblasted P, and will put my other P basses out of a job. Expect the 425 though, as its a 5 string so i may need it one day.

I love the body shape and size, it seems smaller than my other P basses, which is great. It doesn't feel too heavy when i hold it, ive not strapped it on yet but i know it wont cause any problems even on longer gigs. 

Now, all the above hopefully shows i love the new bass, but i still feel the 425 has it place. The bridge pup on the 425 can easily holds its own against the neck pup. Ive already started to use it on its own for a few songs, and its the most useable neck pup ive every owned. The neck pup on the 425 seems to be perfect for me without needing any effects, not something ive found in any of my other P bass (inc the P34).  

All in all I’m happy with my 2 new Yamahas, but more so the 425.....for now. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Tone through my B1 and headphones sounds good. Having just got used to the more aggressive 425,  the P34 sounds a bit plain,  and while not lacking power certainly lacks a bit of punch the 425 has. I was aware of this before getting it so its not a negative, just an observation on first play. Its certainly a good P bass, as good as my Fender Sandblasted P, and will put my other P basses out of a job. Except the 425 though, as it's a 5 string so i may need it one day.

I love the body shape and size..

I have to agree with you that the 425 is one of the punchiest basses around! I also very much agree that the P34 / P35 are really nicely weighted and balanced which makes them a pleasure to 'wear' and play.

In terms of tone I'd say that:

• BB 425 pups = flatter, more kick
  • BB 1025 / P35 pups => more complex overtones, less kick / more 'civilised' than the 425 (but certainly not 'polite' in the sense that the Delanos on my Berg were 'polite'). The 1025 / P35 can both produce a tasty growl when you dig in! 

Looking forward to getting your thoughts when you've got a set of strings on that you really like and have A/B'd both basses through a quality rig.

• Like 1

Yes, I hope I didn’t sound too negative above, I’m keeping this bass no matter what. Its just that i was getting used to the 425 and loved the aggressiveness of it.

I just got a set of my new fav strings off here so they will be put on as soon as they arrive next week, then both basses will have the same strings on them. 

I have no doubt at all the P34 is a keeper (does anyone really believe in that term anymore lol), and i will very quickly embrace all the niceties of this bass. 

Edited by dave_bass5

Sounds to me like your first impression is you prefer the cheaper bass but understandably want to give the P34 chance to grow on you more? Don’t feel like you have to force yourself to prefer the pro model to justify the purchase. Have you tried the 1024/2024/1025/2025 models at all?

• Like 2

Yes, i think i you are right DB, i really do want this to grow on me because it  has so much going for it. I’m convinced its the strings letting it down for me. I’m going to play it to death over the weekend, not even think about the other basses, and see how it goes. Ill put some old but familiar stings on it tomorrow and see if that helps. 

It already plays like a dream so I’m almost there., 

If not ill go against my previous statement and think about sending it back. I’d love a 1024 or 1025 but no one  is selling at the moment. 

37 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I’d love a 1024 or 1025 but no one  is selling at the moment. 

You're welcome to borrow my 1025 Dave (and you're right it's not for sale!).

Love my 1025 but the P35, for me anyway, is better still. 

Make sure to play your P34 through a rig, not just headphones this weekend though! :)

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Cheers Bas but bowing your 1025 will definitely complicate things even more. 

No chance of using my rig at home, but I’m so used to my headphone set up, and use it all the time at home, that any bass has to work with this set up. Live i have no worries.

21 minutes ago, clivem said:

Ive heard others say that as well. Not sure these are Elixirs though. Ive had them before and these don’t quite feel the same. Could be that they are thinner than the seti had a while ago though. 

I’m going to pop up to Denmark st tomorrow and get ripped off, i mean over charged on a set of strings. I’m sure that will cure any doubts i  have. 

New day, fresh ears etc, and I’m loving the P34 a lot more today. I think its staying put. Ive got my head around the fact that its not a Fender P bass, and its voiced differently. This was the issue yesterday. Now i get that its not going to sound like my Fender ive accepted it more. The P34 seems to lack the low end heft i get with other P basses, but i have a feeling this will mean a cleaner low end when i play live. Not quite got the Fender P character, but again, its different so ill just get used to it, and embrace it. 

Its so easy and inspiring to play. Been doing loads of runs i could never quite achieve on my other basses, at least not as cleanly. Not sure why, but it just feels easy to play. Might even be those stings as they feel very tight, which i like. No fret buzz anywhere, and ive not touched the set up at all. Normally by now ive made at least one or two adjustments to a new bass. 

I love how the bass isn’t dictating what note i play and where. With my other basses (especially P basses) playing on the E string around the 8th fret and above gives a more wooly tone, so i tend to avoid that area. All the notes on the P34 seems to have the same volume and clarity (within reason)and means i dont feel restricted. A pleasure to play. 

• Like 2

Was looking for Yammy BB vs Fender P comparisons and came across this. There’s not a huge amount in it but I do think the BB sounds a tiny bit more characterful. They’re both strung with flats, though not of the same brand so that in itself will have some impact. Not to mention all the other variables...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

New day, fresh ears etc, and I’m loving the P34 a lot more today. I think its staying put. Ive got my head around the fact that its not a Fender P bass, and its voiced differently. This was the issue yesterday. Now i get that its not going to sound like my Fender ive accepted it more. The P34 seems to lack the low end heft i get with other P basses, but i have a feeling this will mean a cleaner low end when i play live. Not quite got the Fender P character, but again, its different so ill just get used to it, and embrace it. 

Its so easy and inspiring to play. Been doing loads of runs i could never quite achieve on my other basses, at least not as cleanly. Not sure why, but it just feels easy to play. Might even be those stings as they feel very tight, which i like. No fret buzz anywhere, and ive not touched the set up at all. Normally by now ive made at least one or two adjustments to a new bass. 

I love how the bass isn’t dictating what note i play and where. With my other basses (especially P basses) playing on the E string around the 8th fret and above gives a more wooly tone, so i tend to avoid that area. All the notes on the P34 seems to have the same volume and clarity (within reason)and means i dont feel restricted. A pleasure to play. 

Glad it's working out for you, I don't have the P34 but I do have a BB734, I was getting a bad sound from the E string (very dead thud) I  turned the saddle around to work in the same way it's setup on a 5 string and now I have great sustain and sounds a lot better.   I played a Music man since 1980 and it took a while to adjust to the Yamaha, but I must admit it's a great bass to play and a lot lighter on the shoulder after a two hour gig lol, happy days.

Yamaha BB734 Bridge.jpg

Edited by whamni
  • Like 2

Thanks, I’m more than settled with it now. As you say, sometimes it needs a bit of adjusting to. 

Funnily enough, I almost got a 735a a couple of months ago, I’ve not been a fan of the way Yamaha basses look, especially the pick up surrounds, but the 735a really  appeals to me, especially that lovely back finish. I tired one out briefly in the Yamaha shop but wasnt too impressed with the  neck felt. I needed up getting a Sire P7 instead but that had issues so went back. 

Now I’m a confirmed Yamaha lover, although i think thats my lot now, no need to get anything else. 

32 minutes ago, whamni said:

Funny I have a Sire V7 4 string here I only gigged a few times and I'm looking to sell, as it didn't work out for me either ! 

I should add, ive had a Gen 1 V7 5 string since they first come out, cant fault it other than the weight. A bass i will never sell, but probably wont ever gig again either.

The Gen 2 P7 i brought had a faulty bridge pup, so thats why it went back. It was a lovely bass to play, but i never wanted an active bass (hence not getting the 735a either) in the first place, so i was never 100% on it.