Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Hey Tyler - great video!

At 2.30 - when you said the bridge doesn't have the same option to reverse, not sure what you meant? I actually changed it over, myself, from the 'factory reversed' bridge saddle set up to 'normal' so it should be easy enough to swap it back again.

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Hey Tyler - great video!

At 2.30 - when you said the bridge doesn't have the same option to reverse, not sure what you meant? I actually changed it over, myself, from the 'factory reversed' bridge saddle set up to 'normal' so it should be easy enough to swap it back again.

Yes - I’ve worked out quickly that I’m wrong about that 😂😂😂 Just checked and realised how you do that - that’s why I thought it was different from the P35. I’ll pop a comment down below on the video... The problem with creating a video - no chance to change it once it’s up! 🤦‍♂️

Why did you reverse it out of interest? Did you think it benefited tonally? The P35 in Nashville I tried only had the B reversed - I actually thought it was only the B you could reverse from that occasion. Have you tried certain strings reversed but not all? 

1 hour ago, TJ Spicer said:

Why did you reverse it out of interest? Did you think it benefited tonally? The P35 in Nashville I tried only had the B reversed - I actually thought it was only the B you could reverse from that occasion. Have you tried certain strings reversed but not all? 

The factory setting is only with the B saddle reversed (and that's also how my P35 was set up when I got it off Mark).

The reason for swapping it round was that when I got the 735A (couriered to me by the previous owner) and played it for the first time, it was really badly set up with a lot of fret buzz. So I spent a bit of time raising the string heights and tweaking the pup heights etc. Not knowing any better(!) I assumed that the reverse saddle was a 'mistake' by the previous owner and part of it not being set up properly, so I 'corrected' it - haha.

Have you adjusted the set-up much since getting it?

My initial reaction to the 735A was, consequently, much less positive than yours but the bass grew on me (a lot!) after I'd set it up it until...I bought that damn P35: love at first play! Mark who sold it to me is, like you, another pro bassist and had everything on the P35, in terms of string selection and set up all working beautifully. So when I went to reach for a bass I found myself just wanting to play the P35: the passive tone on that edges it over the 735A for me; and in terms of an active bass my (your old!) NE2 is a complete treat. So I was struggling to justify keeping the 735A. But it's definitely found its way to the right home and is already more famous than any of my basses! :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

The factory setting is only with the B saddle reversed (and that's also how my P35 was set up when I got it off Mark).

The reason for swapping it round was that when I got the 735A (couriered to me by the previous owner) and played it for the first time, it was really badly set up with a lot of fret buzz. So I spent a bit of time raising the string heights and tweaking the pup heights etc. Not knowing any better(!) I assumed that the reverse saddle was a 'mistake' by the previous owner and part of it not being set up properly, so I 'corrected' it - haha.

Have you adjusted the set-up much since getting it?

My initial reaction to the 735A was, consequently, much less positive than yours but the bass grew on me (a lot!) after I'd set it up it until...I bought that damn P35: love at first play! Mark who sold it to me is, like you, another pro bassist and had everything on the P35, in terms of string selection and set up all working beautifully. So when I went to reach for a bass I found myself just wanting to play the P35: the passive tone on that edges it over the 735A for me; and in terms of an active bass my (your old!) NE2 is a complete treat. So I was struggling to justify keeping the 735A. But it's definitely found its way to the right home and is already more famous than any of my basses! :) 

I think your setup is very playable! I’m gonna adjust the D &G when I get home - they are a tad buzzy in places... 

Thats not true - your BBNE2 is currently topping the BB735 by quite some way so a “famous” (pains me to say that about my own content haha) bass you certainly possess! 

Edited by TJ Spicer

7 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

There's one for sale on Gumtree currently for £150. Photos aren't good and there isn't a great deal of detail in the ad info.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/yamaha-bass-guitar-/1342040101

That was for sale a good while ago with tape all over the bridge pickup.

Assume the seller is the one who bought it and can’t get on with it...

Well I'm down to below a full Trav after tonight - I'm definitely slipping, although I can't complain about the quality of what's still in the pantry :)

A BC buddy was after a 5 string PJ... as it happened I had a very nice BB 425 not getting much use, so it was a no brainer to suggest he check it out.

I loved the fact that he instantly liked the play-ability of the neck and punch of the pups. In fact, it was a 'goner' the moment he picked it up.

Looking forward to his report back after his band's rehearsal tomorrow night, to see if it lives up to expectations. I suspect it will! 

... I now just need to work out what to do with this Tech 21 Q\Strip he's left behind 😁

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

@udo - saw your 734A up for sale - GLWTS of that.

I was interested to see that you've had exactly the same journey and reaction as I did to getting your BB P34 as I did on getting my BB P35. 

But I still can't put my finger on it! :) 

@Al Krow in my eyes the 734A is a superb bass with no flaws and lots of positives. The P34 then adds a lusher feel and a more vintage and at the same time punchier sound. At least that's how I justified to myself spending the moneys on it.
But it's also the first bass ever which made me think 'I do not ever need another bass again'.
:)

Edited by udo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Well I'm down to below a full Trav after tonight - I'm definitely slipping, although I can't complain about the quality of what's still in the pantry :)

A BC buddy was after a 5 string PJ... as it happened I had a very nice BB 425 not getting much use, so it was a no brainer to suggest he check it out.

I loved the fact that he instantly liked the play-ability of the neck and punch of the pups. In fact, it was a 'goner' the moment he picked it up.

Looking forward to his report back after his band's rehearsal tomorrow night, to see if it lives up to expectations. I suspect it will! 

... I now just need to work out what to do with this Tech 21 Q\Strip he's left behind 😁

Yaaay, I’m finally in the club!!!!!.

Was good meeting up with you and yes, i fell  in love with it the moment i picked  it up. The neck just felt so flat and solid, exactly what i look for in a neck. I had convinced myself i was going to take it anyway, as so many Yammy lovers cant be wrong, but I’m glad i felt so positive from the off. Even the fugly pup surrounds look better in real life. 

I used to own a TRBX505 so its not my first Yammy, but I didn’t feel the love for that in a way i do for the 425. I fear this is just the start though. Maybe a 735 next as that was top of the list a month or so ago, but i diverted to a Sire P7 5, which didn’t work out. 

Short review coming tomorrow night after rehearsals, but I’m sure you all know  how positive it will be. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@AndyTravis - not sure which model this is, but its been listed for the cost of a set of strings! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Yamaha-Base-Guitar/183833564771?hash=item2acd559663:g:MsIAAOSwVClc88K0

Erb70 - like a Christmas package beginners bass. Great for £30 though. Drop a nicer pickup in and you’ve got a decent (24 fret) precision...

• Thanks 1

I've had a couple of BC'ers mention to me that they were interested in getting hold of a Yamaha BB 1025 (or 1025X).

Just had a trawl through various bass websites on their behalf and managed find a grand total of ZERO currently available for sale in the UK!

Are these starting to become 'collectables' or do you guys know of any in vgc that might be available?

20 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Is that a completely unmodified 614, Andy? One of the earlier posts mentioned the EQ being a bit harsh and swapped out (I think) for an OBP3. 

Totally unmodified...well, apart from the pickguard.

I had it set flat (as in basically a 414). Then pushed the bass a tiny way over centre for a more chilled track, and then on the funkier/faster track with slap pushed the treble a tiny bit.

sounds great on a rough mix etc.

Edited by AndyTravis

414 was used for the scratch bass in the guiding - but since I changed the bridge from schaller to Wilkinson I haven’t had chance to do a proper setup and it was a bit buzzy on a higher run. 

Rather than whip out the tool kit I just deferred to the 614.

38AF4AE5-0ECF-4AE1-AFDB-6B364D82237E.jpeg