Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

At first the shape.  The 3000ma is a (when you are used to "classic" BBs)  notable different body shape. Then the materials. The 3000ma has a mahogany body. Then the reversed P-pickup.  Then the sound - due to the body materials. The MA sounds "darker", more growling in my ears. 

I was about to buy the 3000ma but I just won't get happy with neck trough basses.  I play with my fingers and a quiet hard attack and only the bolt ons give me the punch that I need.  Handling wise the BB3000ma was the best Yamaha that I played. Soundwise my two 1000ma's fit me so well that when I had the 3000ma for testing a few weeks it could not outplay (out-sound..) the bolt on versions! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, woolf said:

Out of interest, is there much difference between the 3000 and 3000MA, other than cosmetics..?

The MAs all have reverse-Ps which is supposed to tighten the sound of the low B string (by picking up the signal at a point in the string that is a little bit tighter due to its proximity to the bridge).

Nice feature - wish it was available in more Yammys.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

But it was a notable difference in quality. The 3000ma just feels like a tank! Somehow you know while playing that this is a different class of bass.

The normal 3000 is of the same quality.  I had one of the last 40 ever built BB3000 and fitted a Glockenklang active pre amp in.  Somehow the org. set up did not have enough low end for my ears.  But this hybrid was not the real deal for me, again I missed the punch of the bolt on neck. Sold it. 

9 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

I was about to buy the 3000ma but I just won't get happy with neck trough basses.  I play with my fingers and a quiet hard attack and only the bolt ons give me the punch that I need.  Handling wise the BB3000ma was the best Yamaha that I played. Soundwise my two 1000ma's fit me so well that when I had the 3000ma for testing a few weeks it could not outplay (out-sound..) the bolt on versions! 

Is that 3000MA still available (if it is and it's in good condition, I would be very interested) or has that particular ship sailed a long while ago?

4 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

But it was a notable difference in quality. The 3000ma just feels like a tank! Somehow you know while playing that this is a different class of bass. 

I am not 100% sure whether you mean that as a compliment (= very solidly built) or as a criticism (= heavy and slow)? 

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, phobucket said:

There are some amazing BBs in this thread.  I just made a comparison video between my BB1025X and BB434.  The process of making the video made me really appreciate the differences between the basses.

Yamaha BB434 vs BB1025X

Great review, thanks! 

@dmccombe7 - Dave if you decide you are interested in Yammys the above little review is a very well put together comparison of a couple of the 'work horse' models.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, gobasserk said:

I was about to buy the 3000MA but I just won't get happy with neck-through basses.  

2 hours ago, gobasserk said:

I would be interested in that 3000MA too if it was in reach.  Unfortunately I have no idea where it went to 😞 

So you would be interested in getting a 3000MA but when one came up you didn't buy it, because you don't like neck-through basses?

Ok, you've got me totally confused (btw - that's easily done) - seems to me like you had a go-beserk day! 😂

Edited by Al Krow

It was a pro, not a contra statement! Built like a tank, solid, felt "expensive" . 

I would buy and play it live, in the studio I would still go for the bolt on basses.  When I was thinking about buying it, it was a bass that was "arround" on the market. Today it is very rare and I would buy it ! 🙂 

Edited by gobasserk

3 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

It was a pro, not a contra statement! Built like a tank, solid, felt "expensive" . 

I would buy and play it live, in the studio I would still go for the bolt on basses.  When I was thinking about buying it, it was a bass that was "arround" on the market. Today it is very rare and I would buy it ! 🙂 

Aha! Now all clear to me. The folly of youth, followed by the wisdom and regret of maturity! 😂

You mention studio work - session musician or your own originals band work? 

6 hours ago, phobucket said:

There are some amazing BBs in this thread.  I just made a comparison video between my BB1025X and BB434.  The process of making the video made me really appreciate the differences between the basses.

Yamaha BB434 vs BB1025X

Great comparison, thanks for taking the time to make that. First listen on my phone speaker, the 434 sounded like it had a lot more midrange presence and clarity, and I preferred it. Second listen in decent headphones, the 434 sounded like it had an overly boomy low end and the 1025X tighter and more balanced, and I ended up preferring the 1025X (which I have!). Will check it on good speakers next!

Here's a another comparison, this time against the 735:

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Here's a similar comparison:

Thanks for sharing but not really of the same quality as @phobucket's  (which IMO is a really well put together review).

This 1 minute review didn't really show anything much at all other than if you have two modern BBs set the same, they sound very similar! No demonstration of the active capability of the 735A which is its big differentiator, so actually not that useful at all...

Edited by Al Krow

15 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

Yes...if I could have some of the basses back that I sold ...or did not buy.... I would be the luckiest guy in the world! 🙂 

Know what you mean. If I had only bought shares in that fruit company (I think it was called 🍏? )....

Speaking of YouTube clips, here's an unknown bass player getting a great sound from a BB1200 (? - would make sense as that model was launched around 1977). Apparently Yamaha was one of his goto basses during the 80s.

You can really hear what a good / 'dominant' bass sound he delivers through a decent pair of headphones (just don't use dannybuoy's as he clearly seems to be getting weird results through his from his earlier post 😀)

• Like 1

For a quiet recent project to display I am working on getting the org. stuff on youtube. 

Tonight I will be able to test (and buy) a good looking BB414 in red burst(?) - don't know the name of the finish. I still can give it away for the same price if it does not fit me. 

1 hour ago, gobasserk said:

For a quiet recent project to display I am working on getting the org. stuff on youtube. 

Tonight I will be able to test (and buy) a good looking BB414 in red burst(?) - don't know the name of the finish. I still can give it away for the same price if it does not fit me. 

You won’t like it - send it to me 😉

Weights and balance

The P35 actually 'hangs' a little more comfortably off my frame than my other three Yammys. So when I put them all on the scales I was a little surprised to find:

P35 and NE2 - 10.2 lbs

735A and 1025 - 9.6 lbs

The combination of a slightly heavier body and lightweight tuners on the P35 gives it more of a balance between neck and body and, in consequence, there is a touch less neck dive on the P35.

Still getting used to having individual volume controls on the P35 - it's actually a really nice feature, but the flip side is that it's a bit less easy to switch pups than by using the selector switch on the 1025 or dialling a pup selector knob mid song, as you have to deal with two knobs rather than just one. Fortunately not something I'm needing to do too often.

@M@23 - my Ibby SR1825 weighs in at 8.3 lbs, and is therefore nearly 2lbs lighter than your old P35 so if you want a lightweight bass, like a touch of the Warwick growl from the pups, appreciate a 3 band EQ and find a fast neck a delight then I'd definitely recommend you also checking out the Ibby SR Premium range; you'll have plenty of change left over from your Berg into the bargain!  :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1