Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

The B string on the Yammy BB735A seems to be just fine / sounds good; no issues or complaints from me on that score (or really any other at this stage! :)).

To be fair, I've never quite understood folks complaints about B strings. If the neck length is decent and the fretboard 34" or 35" and you've got solid tuners and no fret buzz, then if the B string feels 'floppy' I'd simply suggest getting a different B string! 

I guess there might be an issue around the pups and EQ, but we all know that Yammy do a damn fine job on that score for the money.

Yes, the normal model is out for a while I think, saw this model yesterday too.... Not my cup of tea. Boring design - in my thoughts, and the walnut finish.... togehter with I think.. 3300,- Dollars... not for me.

The Yamaha MA design is a dream come true, would love to buy a 3000MA any time! When Michael announced the Schecter model first, I was realy disappointed 😞 

Edited by gobasserk

20 hours ago, gobasserk said:

Does anybody know if it is possible to get colour information about a special red tone that they used on BB3000 basses back then?  I want to get a BB body refinished in that colour. 

@hookys6stringbass

You tried contacting Yamaha directly? 

Edited by Al Krow

12 minutes ago, Cairobill said:

Just picked up an extremely fine '87 MIJ BB3000A. These basses are really, really good!

IMG_7651.JPG

Oh my, that's nice!! 😍

So glad it's missing a string though! 😂

Where did you manage to find that beaut? 

I was in 735A heaven on Saturday night. We played a large hall for a group of dance classes who wanted to strut their stuff to a live band. There was even a glitterball! I played passive all night, blues and blues rock stuff mostly, the RM800/Super Twin were set up to sound very SVT/fridge-like, and despite the size of the hall the RM volume was only at around 5%, as you can probably see if you zoom in. I love my 735 with Chromes, it is such a well-designed instrument and sounds lovely. I rarely use the active side when playing live as I can get everything I need out of the amp setup. It also makes it a lot easier to adjust tones with minimal fuss, just a half knob to turn! No fire extinguisher needed that night, thankfully! 

heaven.jpg

• Like 3

I actually bought the 735 slightly used at a great price on 7th April 2018, so it is a year with me. I had not realised it was its birthday the other day! Before that I had a 425X and a 424X, both which had to be moved on to other eager BC'ers. Both were widely gigged and had me BB-hooked. The 735 is a real step up from the 42*, such a full and controllable sound. I think it has taken these 365 days to really get to know the 735 and what it can do. Of course I have been through the ritual of trying all types of string, from black tapewounds (grounding issues!), Fat Beams (far too lively for my needs!), La Bella flats (lovely and deep, maybe a bit too thumpy) and finally settling on Chromes which seem to give the best of all worlds for what we play. I cannot imagine playing anything else. Who wants a Fender when you can have a 735?! And the B-string is perfect. Shapes up the neck make for very relaxed playing, with no tonal concerns.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ChrisJaxon said:

And the B-string is perfect. Shapes up the neck make for very relaxed playing, with no tonal concerns.

Out of interest, have you kept the factory ('inverted') setting for bridge piece saddle on the B string, or reversed it so that is a 'normal' bridge saddle as with the other 4 strings?

26 minutes ago, ChrisJaxon said:

Yes I kept the inverted B bridge, never changed it. Yamaha must know what they are doing with this setup.

Haha - looks like I should seriously try to reverse my desire for 'order' (aka OCD - lol!) and put the B string saddle back to factory, as this seems to be what most folk have stuck with.

Having said that - it sounds bloody good in normal setting! :) 

5 hours ago, ChrisJaxon said:

I rarely use the active side when playing live

Are you getting much HUM when the blend knob is mid way and volume full on in passive ?

Glad you like the 735, I have the 734 and loving it 😀

17 hours ago, whamni said:

Are you getting much HUM when the blend knob is mid way and volume full on in passive ?

There is a slight hum when hitting the mid blend spot, yes, and on toward the bridge pup. If you listen for it. But nothing really invasive. Typical of the pup type I guess. Mind you, I never need to have any amps at full tilt either so it is never really evident. The only time I had real hum on the 735 was when I strung it with tapewounds and had a grounding issue! That was quite annoying. The bridge pup hum is not so noticeable that I would want to swap it out with a twin or stacked coil, I would be too concerned about altering the great tone. But it is something Yamaha could have eliminated at the outset, without adding much to the cost, for sure.

Thanks for the reply and yes single coil pups do cause problems ok,  I did contact Yamaha to see had they noise cancelling replacements for the 734, but nope !

and as you say ChrisJaxon something Yamaha should have eliminated.

I was looking at Seymour Duncan Apollo Jazz Bridge pup , also Dimarzio Ultra Jazz bridge pup

but I love the sound of the Yamaha !  

Maybe when it's out of guarantee I'll change it  

Thought I'd take my BB 1025 for a little spin with a new 4 piece outfit who met up for the first time last night. Ended up at the Pirate rehearsal studio in Greenwich. Apart from being very hidden (is that like a requirement for rehearsal studios?) it was actually pretty well stocked in terms of back line and all included in the price.

Ashdown RM and Ashdown cab provided for me to play through. Well I was (genuinely) looking forward to trying a different rig out. But what is about Ashdown cabs at rehearsal studios that they are always beaten up (even when relatively new looking as this one)?! I hit the A note on the E string and the cab starts 'farting' like it's just had green veg only for the past week. The rest of the band (typically) didn't seem to mind too much, saying "they have heard worse"...Anyway we all know that the folk most bothered about bass tone (and rightly so) is us bass players. So I set up my trusty BF SC and DG M900 rig which I had brought along just in case.

We weren't playing too loud so, for once, I didn't stick plugs in my ears at all during the rehearsal (partly also to be listening out for what the new guitarist was doing). What I heard coming from the bass rig (no compression, no pedals, just bass amp and cab) I just loved

So what's the point of this rambling post? Well it's simply this: those of you who have Yamaha BB1024s / 1025s, if you're not desperate to have the additional option of an active preamp on your bass then you absolutely shouldn't feel you are missing out by not having a BB 734/5A, you've got a really fine piece of kit in your hands.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1