Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 minute ago, krispn said:

Ahh my mistake. I can only compare the VM4.

Which is exactly the model (and/or the Berg VT4 that Cam mentioned) as the "V"s are the Berg P basses. So your comments about your own bass were totally on point for me (and which one you're keeping!) 

Been a very helpful GAS avoiding bit of feedback on this thread for me this morning! The grass ain't always greener... :)

If you don't mind me asking, where did you order your 735A from @Al Krow? Online or shop brought?

Really interested in one now but feel like I'd want to give it the once over in the flesh first. Being Midland's based, don't mind getting in the car for an hour or two if I can find somewhere with one in stock.

I bought mine used from the FS here. I was fortunate to get one in pretty mint condition, just 6 months old - they do come up from time to time I was waiting for around 8 months before one popped up (which kinda says something in itself). The weird thing is the one I bought used hadn't been set up particularly well (e.g. one of the string saddles at the bridge was somehow inverted and the action had been set so low there was a lot of fret buzz) - all very easily remedied. Part of me wonders if they guy who I bought it off, who kinda felt that a Yammy should work for him, had set it up properly, whether he would have ever sold it. But hey, my good fortune.

I'm down in London, which is probably a little too far for you to trek, but there may well be a BCer round your parts with a Yammy BB 735A. I'll leave them to make themselves known! 

Just checked PMT Brum's website and they don't seem to have Yammy BBs in stock (they have all the TRBs). Bass Direct does have it though - but just be careful to only take enough cash to buy what you want (and not a penny more) if you're heading there 😂

Edited by Al Krow

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

hadn't been set up particularly well (e.g. one of the string saddles at the bridge was somehow inverted

Was it the B string?  I think that's how it comes stock. The saddles are reversible - I think it's something to do with the string break angle (?).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Bass Direct does have it though - but just be careful to only take enough cash to buy what you want (and not a penny more) if you're heading there 😂

Thanks for the heads up. Blimey, why on earth didn't I look at the Bass Direct website?! Doh!

BD is just a half hour down the M40 from me and I know Mark really well. Wish I'd realised they had them or I'd have popped down earlier. That'll be my treat for tomorrow morning. 

Ah yes, it's the "Vintage Plus Bridge"

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/el_basses/bb_2017/700_series.html

"Strings can also be set to the tail end of the bridge, which comes equipped with a convertible saddle that can be adjusted to 2 different angles for more precise tonal shaping and feel. The rounder side of the saddle gives a slightly softer sound, while the more angled area produces a slightly tighter one."

11 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Was it the B string?  I think that's how it comes stock. The saddles are reversible - I think it's something to do with the string break angle (?).

Aha interesting, yes it was. You're a font of knowledge Master John R. Ixn (the First).

How have you got yours set up, still reversed? Feels more 'natural' the right way around to me, but probably just my OCD (that I deny to the rest of my family I have) 🤣

Edited by Al Krow

5 minutes ago, tonyf said:

Thanks for the heads up. Blimey, why on earth didn't I look at the Bass Direct website?! Doh!

BD is just a half hour down the M40 from me and I know Mark really well. Wish I'd realised they had them or I'd have popped down earlier. That'll be my treat for tomorrow morning. 

Enjoy! Look forward to hearing how you get on.

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

How have you got yours set up, still reversed? Feels more 'natural' the right way around to me, but probably just my OCD (that I deny to the rest of my family I have) 🤣

Yes, I left my saddles how they came.  I couldn't be bothered to experiment with all the different permutations!  I assume it's a subtle difference - unless anyone here has experienced otherwise.

14 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Yep, mine is set up like this too. Also, I still haven’t touched the stock setup. I assume it’s the factory setup but it could have been Wunjo’s setup. Not 100% certain. But earlier on the day I bought my matte black 735a (from Wunjo’s) I tried a coffee burst one at Yamaha Music London and they felt the same to me. If in both cases I was playing the factory setup then that’s another big thumbs up for Yamaha as a company. Helps that they fit good strings as standard.

I’m sure I’m not alone in saying I’ve been put off by poorly set up basses in the past, having GAS for an otherwise lovely bass extinguished!

There is loads more in this Sandy vs Yammy debate.

i’ve Probably played most iterations of sandberg’s.

Whats the same - quality products

Whats different - body shapes curves and sizes, neck profiles - not much you can do about them.

Whats interchangeable - pick ups, tuners, pre amps, bridges etc.

Although not strictly relevant to a TM vs BB, if you prefer the Yammy electronics but a sandberg body - you have your answer right there, or vice versa, or indeed any other pick up and preamps out there.

If you ask a gozillion players to compare the 2 you would get as many variations

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

If you ask a gozillion players to compare the 2 you would get as many variations

True. 

But equally I've got to know (and trust) the views of the guys who have owned both on here. 

No one is saying Bergs are crap. They are very far from it! My question was given how good Bergs are and the fact that they cost twice what a PJ passive / active Yammy does, can a Yammy hold its own? 

The answer seems to be a resounding yes.

And I definitely wouldn't want to be paying twice as much for a Berg and then finding I had to fork out another £500 for different pups and EQ, to suit me, on top. 

I fully get that, I know no one is saying bergs or yammers are poop but like others have said, if you want a Berg and don’t mind waiting and buy it new, you can spec it how you want so you didn’t have to change the electronics.

Whichever models make of bass you have, there is also a second hand market for pups and pre amps etc. somyou can sell old to get new.

If you are forking out £500 (you can get stuff for a lot less, new and second hand) for new electronics, likelihood is you would already specifically know what you wanted and had them customised into a bass.

I am certain loads of people have moved on whole basses for something that is cheap and easily modified, and then regretted not having the bass

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

The BB 1025s were going for £810 new in the year before they were replaced (2017) by the new series and there were then some final stock clearance prices at around £550 to £600. I think the 1024s were generally around £50 less. 

I cry why I see those prices and realise how poor I was to get more of those finishes haha. 

Gutted there's not enough finishes on the current model range. Seems like there's less, if anything. 

1 minute ago, bigsmokebass said:

Gutted there's not enough finishes on the current model range. Seems like there's less, if anything. 

Not sure I can justify uploading another pic of my BB 1025 (but what the heck eh?!) on this thread. 

I'm kinda sensing it may not be seeing as much action as it was getting before the arrival of its newer sibling. But until a white Yammy BB 735A comes out, this can certainly have a home here in E London. Besides it's nice to have a purely passive bass that I can just leave plugged in and never need to worry about having a flat battery for my troubles! :) 

Yamaha BB1025 Mk2.JPG

Just now, bigsmokebass said:

I cry why I see those prices and realise how poor I was to get more of those finishes haha. 

I just don’t get it. There are lots of dark colours.

they need a good surf green or metallic orange 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No contest for me - my BB1025X with both pickups on is 'my' sound, and no other P/J or P/MM can sound like it. It's also the only 5 string neck I've instantly liked, having briefly owned but not got on with a Fender P5, J5, and Sandberg TT5.

Nothing against Sandberg though, I have a single pickup Basic that is a pure funk machine and is my 2nd favourite bass!

• Like 1