Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Have a chat with @Grangur. He may be able to refi the body in white for you (or recommend someone who can) for a reasonable price, if you're unable to find a white Yammy in trade. 

Thank you @Al Krow for your vote of confidence, but I'm not sure of how much help I can be.

Edited by Grangur

Hi guys, just found this thread about BBs... I play BBs for 20+ years, and a BB300 was one of my first basses years before. 

I am thinking  of buying a new 734a and having it finished in a new colour.  My main bass is a BB1000ma from the day I got it back then when they were arround. 

Still struggeling a bit with the new shape and the no-frame-design of the new series.. ;-( 

23 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

Hi guys, just found this thread about BBs... I play BBs for 20+ years, and a BB300 was one of my first basses years before. 

I am thinking  of buying a new 734a and having it finished in a new colour.  My main bass is a BB1000ma from the day I got it back then when they were arround. 

Still struggling a bit with the new shape and the no-frame-design of the new series.. ;-( 

I've had a very similar idea with a (used) 735A in terms of getting it finished in a new colour. Whereabouts are you based and have you got someone in mind to refinish it?  Be good to share notes on who is able to do a good job with repainting at a reasonable cost.

If you can pick up your 734a used then a) you can spend some time with it and see if you like it before getting it refinished. And if you don't like it you should be able move it on without too much financial hit, and b) if you do like it then you can get the bass and refinish all in for the cost of a new one!

At least that's my plan with a 735A :) 

I bought a 1024x used but that bass was way more heavy than my 1000ma and all the 424/414s I owned. So I sold it after some weeks.  I had a BB3000 once that payed lovely but I always felt more atracted to the bolt on neck sound of my 1000ma.  I even once was offered to buy a 3000ma but it could not "beat" my bolt on version of it. That's why I do like the sound of the 700 series.  Even the active circuit sounds usable, although I became a passive mode player over the years. 

I apologise for the ""no frame design" thing ...I am German and my English might not be able to keep up with you here and there 😉  What I wanted to state is that I just love the pickups surrounds 🙂 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

I bought a 1024x used but that bass was way more heavy than my 1000ma and all the 424/414s I owned. So I sold it after some weeks.  I had a BB3000 once that payed lovely but I always felt more atracted to the bolt on neck sound of my 1000ma.  I even once was offered to buy a 3000ma but it could not "beat" my bolt on version of it. That's why I do like the sound of the 700 series.  Even the active circuit sounds usable, although I became a passive mode player over the years. 

I apologise for the ""no frame design" thing ...I am German and my English might not be able to keep up with you here and there 😉  What I wanted to state is that I just love the pickups surrounds 🙂 

Your English is a LOT LOT better than my German (or Spanish, or French or Dutch, or Mandarin or...)

So definitely no need to apologise on that account.

But you definitely do need to do some weight training...if you think a 1024x is heavy, wait till you try a Nathan East BBNE2! 😁 

• Like 2

You are right about the weight training 😉  I do like my basses not too heavy !  I had some issues with a slipped disc some 15 years ago and weight is the reason I sold some very nice basses that I did not like for 1,5 hours hanging round my neck.  That's why I only play 4 strings now.  

40 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

You are right about the weight training 😉  I do like my basses not too heavy !  I had some issues with a slipped disc some 15 years ago and weight is the reason I sold some very nice basses that I did not like for 1,5 hours hanging round my neck.  That's why I only play 4 strings now.  

A slipped disk is no fun, I am sure: we all have to live with what we can manage.

And I agree with you. There are plenty of times when my Ibanez basses come out to play instead of my Yammys a) because they are also great basses b) because it's nice to have a tonal change from time to time and c) because they are lighter!

And I really don't like lugging about heavy cabs! 

Aside: have you seen the lightweight Sandberg thread?

Edited by Al Krow

I am not a fan of Sandberg.  Most Sandbergs are Fender copies and I don't even like the original.  A Status Kingbass would be interesting. But then...I already had some Status basses. They play wonderfull! But I play rock music... the sound can't compete with a wooden neck and finger style... BBs growl so good! 🙂 

8 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

I am not a fan of Sandberg.  Most Sandbergs are Fender copies and I don't even like the original.  A Status Kingbass would be interesting. But then...I already had some Status basses. They play wonderfull! But I play rock music... the sound can't compete with a wooden neck and finger style... BBs growl so good! 🙂 

I think you're saying that Yamaha basses are better (sound, growl, value) than a Sandberg?

And also that you're from Germany (so you should know about these Berg basses).

I had a Sandberg. Almost bought a Status. But have ended up with 4 Yammys (which is probably currently more than Andy Travis and therefore quite an achievement).

So I guess your comment is fair enough and that you're certainly on the right thread 😂

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

But have ended up with 4 Yammys (which is probably currently more than Andy Travis and therefore quite an achievement).

Haha. Currently 4, to soon be 3 and then back to 4...

love that the yardstick of yamaha ownership is measured in units of “Trav”

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Haha 2

There are certainly some very good Sandbergs out there. But they got more and more expensive over the years and in my world you can't get more value for the money than with a BB. 
Just buy a 300 and maybe change the pu if you want and you get a very cool bass! 

Edited by gobasserk

Just now, gobasserk said:

Just buy a 300 and maybe change the pu if you want and you get a very cool bass! 

No need to change the pickups on a 300, mine is lush, great bass. Did a sit down comparison with a 1983 precision a few weeks ago. The BB was loads nicer, just worth 1/4 of the fender. Weird.

• Like 1

Yes, this one is a later model! Good eyes ! Yours looks totally great !  I still have a BB body that I can't tell what it is. Old BB shape but P/J configuration. No surround drill holes. Maybe a 350 or 450... Always wanted to buy a neck for it. 

8 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

Yes, this one is a later model! Good eyes ! Yours looks totally great !  I still have a BB body that I can't tell what it is. Old BB shape but P/J configuration. No surround drill holes. Maybe a 350 or 450... Always wanted to buy a neck for it. 

Don’t tell me that, I’ll be after it 😂

might be a 350f body852AAD27-9FB6-4243-A843-53E0248F0C0A.thumb.jpeg.5381a46923b112469194c9c722e6dce9.jpeg

• Like 1