Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

3 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

I assume some of us may have seen this: https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/bass-guitar-yamaha-bb2000-thru-neck-21-fret-original-hard-case/1323477337 

£750 seems decent from my quick search

looks good and I had seen it but despite having sold a bass locally through gumtree I'm a bit sketchy about sending cash to someone miles away. Much prefer the niceties of BC!

4 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

The gloss sunburst would probably be harder wearing...anyhow, they both look ace.

My new/old sunburst 1100s is sat in reception 🤪

Yes, your right,  I expect the gloss will be harder wearing but the black one just felt nicer in my hand. cant explain it just one of those things 

missed your 1100s would have liked to have seen that :-)

Edited by thebuckets

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

85C447E7-509A-4B4F-BA20-60A1A2A4B4DA.jpeg

136B3063-F855-485A-9F6A-EBF6CAF417BD.jpeg

That looks so much better  than the first photo you posted. I had one of these many years ago in a natural finish. Stupidly got it converted to fretless only to realise i cant play fretless. Part exchanged it at the Manchester Bass Center for a very early Wal bass. I preferred the Yamaha. 

Took a 15 year Hiatus after that. Always wonderd what happened to that 1100s. Managed to get a few BBs now yo take my mind off it.

18 minutes ago, mikeycrikey said:

Part exchanged it at the Manchester Bass Center for a very early Wal bass. I preferred the Yamaha. 

That's quite a big statement!!

I'll have to admit that I do find Wals incredibly fugly (but maybe that's just me!) and even more over-priced, but I'm kinda surprised that they would be out done by a Yamaha, I guess simply going on the Wal's 'reputation'.

It was a very early one.              I don't think is was a Pro model. It had scratch plate and some one had hand painted it Maroon. If i recall  correctIy it passive too. I didnt like the neck and it deffinatley didnt sound like any Wal i had heard before. I liked everything about the Yamaha better than that Wal. If i was comparing this too to one of the Pro models i suspect it would of been a different outcome.

1 hour ago, thebuckets said:

Almost same layout as my new 734a only difference is the high pot acts as tone in passive. They've removed the pup switch and placed a blend pot where your passive tone control is. Great useable layout.

Good parallel. And I presume the analogy extends to the 1200S except that is a neck through as the key differentiator to the 1100S?

The nice thing about the modern series is that they have 5 string versions. 

I really should have a play of a BB735A - if it is comparably good in passive mode to the BB1025 with the tone dialled off, it maybe just worth considering an upgrade. Shame the colours are so limited with the latest range (although tbf @jrixn1's basses did look really good with that colour scheme and pickguard!) 

Edited by Al Krow

I’d be interested to know from anyone with a P34 or more importantly, a P35, whether the bass really is that much better considering it’s double the price of the 735 and getting on for 4 times the price of my 435? On the surface it looks like the same neck, tuners, hardware, pickups and maybe even body as the 735, just put together in Japan with some “vibration treatment”? Or is it like the difference between the std Ibanez range the the Japanese Prestige models?

On a curious side note, I found the 435 to be much nicer-sounding than the 735, although most seem to think it’s the other way round. Didn’t like the matt black painted neck on the 736, either.

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I really should have a play of a BB735A - if it is comparably good in passive mode to the BB1025 with the tone dialled off, it maybe just worth considering an upgrade. Shame the colours are so limited with the latest range (although tbf @jrixn1's basses did look really good with that colour scheme and pickguard!)

I can confirm the answer is a solid yes - with the bonus that it has the ability to get even more of a pure sine wave/dub vibe when switched to active with treble&mid rolled all the way off and bass boosted to taste.

The preamp in this bass really is excellent. It’s genuinely difficult to get a bad sound out of it!

Edited by CameronJ
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

I’d be interested to know from anyone with a P34 or more importantly, a P35, whether the bass really is that much better considering it’s double the price of the 735 and getting on for 4 times the price of my 435? On the surface it looks like the same neck, tuners, hardware, pickups and maybe even body as the 735, just put together in Japan with some “vibration treatment”?

Or is it like the difference between the std Ibanez range the the Japanese Prestige models?

As it happens, for me the difference between the Ibby SR Standard and SR Premium models are actually significant / worth the extra:

eg better pups (this is the big one), more expensive woods, individual string pieces. 

But I struggle to see much of an improvement in sound between the Ibby Premium and Prestige range (in fact I prefer the big single Nords on the Premium to the Barts on the Prestige). 

Some VERY happy owners of the BB P35 on this thread. The difference in price between the 435 and P35 is, personally, not one I would want to pay as I would struggle with what 'extra' I was getting. But I don't feel the same way about the BBNE2 though, which I love having in my herd. 

Also it's a bit apples and pears with the 735A (which is both passive and active) whereas the P35 is purely passive, and as I really like the control and punch from active basses that makes the choice a no brainer for me. 

So what is this all ending up saying?! See if you can try them out, my views work for me - they might not work for the next guy! 😎 

Edited by Al Krow