Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Quick and dirty pic of my BB434 from Wed night.  It acquitted itself well at band practice.  Very happy with the sound, the ergonomics and the fit/finish.  Would probably put beefier strings on it, the stock ones seem a little thin for my tastes but that's not the bass's fault.  A lot of bass for £299, that's for sure.

2069589186_yamahabb434.thumb.jpg.894cafd6aecb00be943463db6fd15b7d.jpg

• Like 2

Been a bit of a discussion about the older vintage BBx24/5 range. Here's a really useful link, if you're interested:

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/el_basses/bb/specs.html#product-tabs

Difference between the 1024/5 and the 2024/5

ALL MATERIALS, DIMENSIONS, PUPS, WOODS, COMPONENTS ARE THE SAME.

Before production ceased RRPs were around £800 (1024/5) vs £2,250 (2024/5)

The "extra" you got for a near trebling of price was:

1) more expensive Japanese (rather than Indonesian) labour costs => a slightly better finish that DB referred to elsewhere

2) A.R.E and I.R.A treatment => giving you the sound of an "old guitar" with a "more played-in, balanced tone" =>  It seems to me that the alternative is that you could just buy a 1024/5 and play it!!

I'll leave you good BCers to work out whether for most of you paying the extra would make sense. It's not primarily a question of cost but of "value" for me (bass is my passion), particularly as I'm fortunate to be in the position to be getting enough from gigging to cover my gear costs. So I've got a BBNE2 and I would love a TRB5pii if one comes up. But for me there is no point whatsoever in trading up my 1025 for a 2025; I'll just continue playing-in my 1025. 

Edited by Al Krow

5 minutes ago, 2elliot said:

Sounds you me like you trying to convince yourself not to buy a BB2024/5. Lol

You know you love a Japanese custom shop Yamaha.  

Haha! On this particular occasion, not 😀

In addition to the lack of differentiation of the 1024/5 from the 2024/5 is the fact that I've generally no time for "artificial aging" - particularly in the context of relic'd basses. My view (and I appreciate others disagree) is that if you want to have an old, tatty bass that is road worn, buy one! There are plenty out there. 

But I also think that:

"There's sometimes a lot of hype preached about non-US made, non-Japanese or non-Italian made goods. I'd just like to point out that some of the most "desirable" phones in the world, costing $1,000 apiece, have US design but are to a large extent "made in China". Hasn't stopped Apple selling large numbers and being (alongside Amazon) one of the two most valuable companies on the planet."

However, if anyone knows of a decent TRB5pii in very good condition for sale, I've got the money set aside from not upgrading to a 2025 ready and willing to spend on that! :) 

This 'artificial aging' is almost the opposite of relicing though. Relicing is purely a process to make it look and feel old on the outside. The ARE / IRA processes are all about making it sound and resonate like an old bass but still looks brand new.

The 2024 series used ARE and IRA, whereas the new P34 only gets IRA. Perhaps that's why it's cheaper. ARE is basically heat treating the wood, perhaps similar to how Musicman do their roasted necks. IRA is a vibration treatment that is supposed to bed everything in, I suppose it makes all the mating surfaces between the paint, body, neck and hardware settle closer together, eliminating any tiny gaps or stresses there might be that adversely affect how it resonates.

I'd have to play one next to my 1025X before committing, but as it's my favourite bass I'd certainly be interested in trading up to the 2025X!

13 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

This 'artificial aging' is almost the opposite of relicing though. Relicing is purely a process to make it look and feel old on the outside. 

Sometimes. You should check out what Sandberg do as part of their relic'ing.

Regarding trading up to a bb2024/5, I first got a bb1024x, love it still and remains a firm fixture for me. I was lucky enough to have some extra cash to get a BB2024x ....and although there is a large uplift in cost, the refinements are quite marked difference that give it a great feel and you feel the quality and workmanship when played. The similar pickups and hardware only tell half the story.....my bb2024x is considerably lighter than my 1024x (the lighter weight makes it much more comfortable), the neck a touch thinner making it even more playable for me, and the finish is just fantastic.  Not forgetting that the sustain is unreal! Just comparing the specs won't tell you the real differences.

I wanted to buy the P34 but in the end opted for the 2024x over the P34 because of how great the former played and felt, and as they were no longer being made I didn't want to miss out on the chnace to own one. 

But as most of thread probably agrees, all the yamaha BBs offer something fantastic regardless of which one!

• Like 2

@chrisgriff thanks. I think you've further elaborated on what @Misdee was touching on, when he said:

21 hours ago, Misdee said:

I have no doubt that the Indonesian - made basses are excellent in their own right, I would not denigrate in any way, but I rate the Japanese - made Yamaha basses up there with some of the best instruments that money can buy.  I totally agree, it's a wonderful thing that less expensive basses can now offer so much of their more expensive counterparts.

But... when it comes to quality, in my experience, small details can make all the difference. The overall fit and finish of the Japanese basses elevates them into the same league as the best craftsmen - made basses. A BBNE2 is a match for any 5 string bass you care to mention, regardless of price. Obviously it will suit some folks more than others, but the design, sound, playability and overall quality is equal to anything out there.

So I think you're both saying that the ARE / IRA treatment does make a tangible difference. Whether it would have been worth paying nearly 3 x the price would be for individuals to decide for themselves; but looks like dannybuoy ain't going to be able to resist! I'm going to hold fire still for that elusive TRB5Pii... 

But with 4-2 on the board for the Hammers means I'm going into the evening also feeling a touch lighter too :)

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, chrisgriff said:

Regarding trading up to a bb2024/5, I first got a bb1024x, love it still and remains a firm fixture for me. I was lucky enough to have some extra cash to get a BB2024x ....and although there is a large uplift in cost, the refinements are quite marked difference that give it a great feel and you feel the quality and workmanship when played. The similar pickups and hardware only tell half the story.....my bb2024x is considerably lighter than my 1024x (the lighter weight makes it much more comfortable), the neck a touch thinner making it even more playable for me, and the finish is just fantastic.  Not forgetting that the sustain is unreal! Just comparing the specs won't tell you the real differences.

I wanted to buy the P34 but in the end opted for the 2024x over the P34 because of how great the former played and felt, and as they were no longer being made I didn't want to miss out on the chnace to own one. 

But as most of thread probably agrees, all the yamaha BBs offer something fantastic regardless of which one!

Stop making me want to spend money.

• Haha 1

I see that there are two vgc BBs: 414 and a 415 in the FS on at a really good price and, not surprisingly, flying off the shelves! 

Anyone know off "the top of their heads" what changed between the 414/5 and the 424/5 and I guess for completeness the 434/5?

My experience of the 425 is that it is a complete "petrol head" of a bass with enough P-punch to keep Muhammad Ali happy 😊 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

These are the things I'm aware of:

415 -> 425: Laminated neck, unpainted headstock, angled string thru design. Pickups look very similar, probably the same.

425 -> 435: New colours, pickguards, painted headstock, new pickups (more Fendery / traditional, being alnico rather than ceramic with rails for example)

• Like 1

On the whole 1024/5 versus 2024/5 thing...

I questioned the price difference, though I have to say I can recall the 2024/5 being available, new, at around the £1200 mark with the 1024/5 at the £650/700 range.

Anyway, I went back and fore a few times buying/selling 1024x basses and always loved the tone but also always felt something intangible was missing. As much as I really wanted a 2024, I couldn't justify the new price and the rare occasions they came up as second hand, were always priced using the "These originally retailed at £250,000,000 so my secondhand price of £50 less than you can buy a new one for..." method stayed my hand.

Fast forward to a few months back where I picked up yet another 1024x and I finally was convinced enough that I really liked the PJ combination, the neck and body shape etc. so I decided to take the plunge on a BB P34

I know it's not like for like, but it is the replacement for the 2024 series with the same refinements. Worth every penny. The hardware is flawless, the finish spot on, great weight, smashing set up and the bass absolutely sings, before even being plugged in. It is unbelievably resonant.

My one and only criticism would be lack of colour choice. Otherwise, better than any Fender, Lakland, FBass, Warwick, Status I have owned and I've had numerous of each! 

• Like 1

Nice post, thanks. 

I've come very close to taking the plunge on a couple of Warwicks and a Status over the past couple of months.

But I keep coming back to the "what more are they going to be delivering" than my goto Yammy BB and my Ibby SR Premium? And I keep drawing a blank in answer to that question.

By chance, I even played a Wick costing 3x new what my Yammy BB1025 cost me new that I had almost bought and was left feeling totally like "and so?" 

So I hear you when you say what you say in your last para! 😎 

47BF145A-E60C-488D-823D-B51F03AD7D60.jpeg.4c4a6a3e0a233d2821a60ffe9bd9008a.jpeg

These were mine about 3/4 years ago. I was playing 5’s all the time and then I stopped needing the B.

I’ve been looking for (and failing to find) a red Japanese BB300 Which was the Bass I started with - I did say to myself that I wanted an orange 414 if I couldn’t find an old Japanese one...and wouldn’t you know it - one will be with me shortly from these very pages.

I will be having a Pickguard made like a 414x but will be double sided taping it in place (for now)

I always preferred the 415 to the 425, no idea why...

359B464B-0EC4-4F11-96CF-DFB841D9BDE3.jpeg

• Like 1