Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Well guys....you were just RIGHT !! Arrived this morning...beautiful neck , lite , very very punchy and a nice and tight low B. Will sure change the knob configuration in a V/V/T ..;I like to mix the 2 pick up and choosing the balance. Capacitor and tone will also be changed..;but this are really minor adjustement to my taste and habits. Considering how much I've paid for it it's a nice bargain. The neck feels just fine and the pups sounds really good rich and powerful. 

5a296d1c6ebb3_20171207_172300(1).thumb.jpg.1b94aa53fb22a8856dc9d2ad397ae33d.jpg

Edited by funkydario
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tried to do the disciplined thing of one in one out and traded my BB425 for an Ibby 1206 with big Nord singles just a couple of weeks back. Really loving the Ibby and the madness of six strings. It's a keeper. But I'm already missing P and PJ punch of the Yammy!

BB735A £766

BBP35 Pro £1,674

Not many coming up for that bargain basement price that a BB424 went for today, before I'd even seen the ad! So probably going to need to think about buying new (Jan sales?)

Does it make any sense at all to think about paying the extra £900 for the BB Pro?

Penny for your wisdom, please?!

I was passing yamaha store London the other day, thought i'd see what was in. I tried the bb P34. I went in for the B734a - they didn't have any in that day so I can't comment on how hey compare. The p34 had a good feel and sounded great. It probably needed a set up though. I was surprised that I missed the curved thumb rest in the the top of the P-pickup that's on the previous BB. A really minor change but I've just gotten so used to it on my 1024x. 

So for comparison I went and tried a BB2024x......I love the look of the 2024x versus the new ones (although the black 734a is ??), it was obviously familiar in feel as I have a 1024x. But it was just great, and the quality was amazing. It's a classic and I just thought I'd be sad if I never owned one.....cue moment of madness. It arrives Tuesday ?

Edited by chrisgriff
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Awesome - congrats on getting such an excellent Yammy! Are you planning on adding it the collection or will we be seeing the 1024x in the FS in the near future? :) 

Thanks Al, The 1024x is staying ? I don't think I'd ever sell it. In fact, I'm considering getting it converted to a fretless (new fretboard) just to give it a new role ?

Ah good man. Are you already a regular fretless player?

What do you reckon the cost of getting the conversion done and fitting an e.g. ebony or rosewood fretboard would be? Just wondering whether you'd be better off getting a 'new' second hand fretless, although I suspect you could be waiting a while before a Yammy BB fretless shows up...

Edited by Al Krow

35 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ah good man. Are you already a regular fretless player?

What do you reckon the cost of getting the conversion done and fitting an e.g. ebony or rosewood fretboard would be? Just wondering whether you'd be better off getting a 'new' second hand fretless, although I suspect you could be waiting a while before a Yammy BB fretless shows up...

1 minute ago, dannybuoy said:

There was an orange sparkle BB414 with a fretless conversion that changed hands on here a couple of times. I was very tempted to get it at the time!

Yeah I remember the orange one....It looked great and was a great price if I recall. Don't come up very often!

I'm not a regular fretless but have owned upright basses in the past. However it will mainly be for home playing. I've been quoted £180 to have a new ebony board put on....which I think is pretty good. The 1024x is nicely played in, very resonant, especially in the higher register and I just think it has the potential to make a great fretless and won't cost an arm and a leg to do it! 

Cool! Well that makes very good sense - and ebony would be my first choice too for a fretless board. I'm really tempted to go for a fretless, but my worry is that it would be the 'easier' thing to pick up instead of getting to grips with my EUB, so I'm kinda trying to resist the temptation...whereas it sounds like that you're already proficient on the upright?

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Cool! Well that makes very good sense - and ebony would be my first choice too for a fretless board. I'm really tempted to go for a fretless, but my worry is that it would be the 'easier' thing to pick up instead of getting to grips with my EUB, so I'm kinda trying to resist the temptation...whereas it sounds like that you're already proficient on the upright?

lol no I'm not proficient at all on upright, I bought an upright on a whim when I had some spare cash a couple of years ago, when the £ was strong! It was great fun but physically demanding and I didn't have the time to dedicate to it sadly. But yeah I think you're right, the fretless will be easier to pick up ?

One question about weight...I am very happy with my new/used BB1025 and one of the reasons is that is a light bass...around 4kg. Fellows bass player here in France keep telling me that I am lucky because all the Yammy 5 they tried or own were more around 4.5kg..;and more. So what is your experience with weight ? is mine an exception  ??

Edited by funkydario

18 hours ago, chrisgriff said:

I was passing yamaha store London the other day, thought it see what was in. I tried the bb P34. I went in for the B734a - they didn't have any in that day so I can't comment on how hey compare. The p34 had a good feel and sounded great. It probably needed a set up though. I was surprised that I missed the curved thumb test in the the top of the P-pickup that's on the previous BB. A really minor change but I've just gotten so used to it on my 1024x. 

So for comparison I went and tried a BB2024x......I love the look of the 2024x versus the new ones (although the black 734a is ??), it was obviously familiar in feel as I have a 1024x. But it was just great, and the quality was amazing. It's a classic and I just thought I'd be sad if I never owned one.....cue moment of madness. It arrives Tuesday ?

I've got a couple of BB2024's and they are the best basses I have ever owned in nearly forty years of playing bass. I'm sure you'll be pleased with your purchase in the long term. 

I'd be very interested to hear more of your impression of the BB P34. I'm really keen to know how it compares with the previous range in terms of sound, playability and and overall quality.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Misdee said:

I've got a couple of BB2024's and they are the best basses I have ever owned in nearly forty years of playing bass. I'm sure you'll be pleased with your purchase in the long term. 

I'd be very interested to hear more of your impression of the BB P34. I'm really keen to know how it compares with the previous range in terms of sound, playability and and overall quality.

Main differences were the P34 sounded a touch brighter and nice and aggressive but not a lot in it tbh. The pickup blend obviously lends a different feature to overall sound which although more nuanced, I'm a man of simple tastes and quite like the simplicity of the switch (even though I know the switch has its problems). The knobs felt nice and solid, neck felt great to me, I'm a big fan of the bb neck dimensions in general. The main problem I had was that the P34 wasn't set up very well, very high action and it felt pretty unplayable as it was. So probably not a fair comparison because a decent setup might have changed my opinion. And when I picked up and played the 2024x, I felt I was home :-) action was way better, much easier to play, neck is beautiful with lovely grain. 

I should have spent longer comparing but I had a train to catch lol but in short for nearly £1700 for the bb P34, it's a shame it wasn't better setup as it will certainly affect players' impressions when trialling in the shop....it did for me. But I was pleased it made me look at the bb2024x ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, funkydario said:

One question about weight...I am very happy with my new/used BB1025 and one of the reasons is that is a light bass...around 4kg. Fellows bass player here in France keep telling me that I am lucky because all the Yammy 5 they tried or own were more around 4.5kg..;and more. So what is your experience with weight ? is mine an exception  ??

My BB1025X weighs about 4.8, but best in mind they are slightly heavier anyway due to the pickguard and metal knobs and control plate. 4kg is pretty good going for a 1025.

I tried that BB2024 thinking I didn't need that B string but I've found I do depend on it more than I realised, so I'm very much tempted to get a BB2025X and call it a day!

6 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

My BB1025X weighs about 4.8, but best in mind they are slightly heavier anyway due to the pickguard and metal knobs and control plate. 4kg is pretty good going for a 1025.

I tried that BB2024 thinking I didn't need that B string but I've found I do depend on it more than I realised, so I'm very much tempted to get a BB2025X and call it a day!

Interested that you would prefer the old BB2025X to the new BBP35? Penny for your thoughts as to why? 

17 hours ago, chrisgriff said:

Main differences were the P34 sounded a touch brighter and nice and aggressive but not a lot in it tbh. The pickup blend obviously lends a different feature to overall sound which although more nuanced, I'm a man of simple tastes and quite like the simplicity of the switch (even though I know the switch has its problems). The knobs felt nice and solid, neck felt great to me, I'm a big fan of the bb neck dimensions in general. The main problem I had was that the P34 wasn't set up very well, very high action and it felt pretty unplayable as it was. So probably not a fair comparison because a decent setup might have changed my opinion. And when I picked up and played the 2024x, I felt I was home :-) action was way better, much easier to play, neck is beautiful with lovely grain. 

I should have spent longer comparing but I had a train to catch lol but in short for nearly £1700 for the bb P34, it's a shame it wasn't better setup as it will certainly affect players' impressions when trialling in the shop....it did for me. But I was pleased it made me look at the bb2024x ?

Thanks for the info Chris. Looks like I will be adding a BBP34 to my collection then !:D

8 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I've not tried the new Pro line but have tried a 434. The new pickups sound quite different and I consider the old ones my 'signature' sound, plus the BB2025X looks cooler IMHO with the blade pickups and all that chrome.

Danny - I think the pups on the P34 / 2024 / 1024 are all the next level up as compared to the 434. So I'm not sure it's a fair comparison?

4 hours ago, Misdee said:

Thanks for the info Chris. Looks like I will be adding a BBP34 to my collection then !:D

+1 thanks Chris - one of us should definitely mention getting the Pro series set up properly to them when we are next in.

@Misdee well it seems you may be the first to get one of the new Pro series! Given that you already have a couple of BB2024s (very jealous!) you're clearly a fan and to rate them as one of best basses you've played in 40 years, is high praise indeed. I still can't get my head around what 'extra' the BB2024 is delivering over the BB1024 for the extra £££ (and similarly the P34 over the 724A)? Obviously the finish will / should hopefully be more high end but I don't sense there is the same gulf between the Japanese and Malaysian Yammys as there are e.g. between the German Warwicks and the Chinese (Warwick) Rockbasses i.e. the difference on the Yammys is more comparable to say the US vs MIM Fenders with slightly better components and finishing?

Be great to see a pic of your 2024s if you're up for sharing that with us?

Edited by Al Krow

Well the pickups are the same in the 1025 and 2025 so I know what to expect there. The new range of BBs have gone for a totally different more vintage construction with alnico magnets... the 434/435 have the ‘V5’ pickups while the 734/735/P34/P35 have the ‘V7’ pickups. I don’t think there’s much difference between them though, I was hard pushed to tell the difference between the 434 and 734A in passive mode! I’d give them all another good play through before I ever decided to splash the cash!