Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Wow!!! Such a messy pickup routing on this body!

Huge gaps on the "P" with the scratchplate ending beyond the routing and the "J" routing looks untidy and not straight at the ends... Definetly not what it's expected from Yamaha!

I see what you mean but I wouldn't rely on these being images of actual basses, as others have pointed out, the grain is exactly the same on all translucent finishes so seems to be a photoshop effort. Like you said not what we expect from Yamaha and probably not what you're going to get. Edited by Dad3353

I see what you mean but I wouldn't rely on these being images of actual basses, as others have pointed out, the grain is exactly the same on all translucent finishes so seems to be a photoshop effort. Like you said not what we expect from Yamaha and probably not what you're going to get.

Hope not. Hope they keep their good QC as allways and stop hiring poor photoshoppers... just look at the paintjob on that body, a nice high gloss finish with reflections on the horns that fade in to a matt finish on the bottom of the body as seen on the arm rest... :D Edited by Dad3353

Ed Frieland mentioned this in his review a few years ago. Shocking on a bass that costs so much.

It's a non-issue really. Only apparent if you are literally right next to the amp with the J pup soloed (I guess this is not likely to be most peoples choice as these basses are all about the P and PJ tone). Move away from the amp slightly or play a note and it goes away. I've used BB for years and not had the slightest problem. Edited by Dad3353

It's a non-issue really. Only apparent if you are literally right next to the amp with the J pup soloed (I guess this is not likely to be most peoples choice as these basses are all about the P and PJ tone). Move away from the amp slightly or play a note and it goes away. I've used BB for years and not had the slightest problem.

+1

I have two BB2024x basses and they are gigged most weeks through monster rigs with no issues. Someone saying that this issue is shocking on a bass costing so much needs to understand a bit more about pickups. Look around at some other high end basses with single coil pickups in them, Lull, Shuker, Pensa etc. Yes, you can get SC pups with dummy coils and you can also get stacked humbuckers but they don't sound the same. Edited by Dad3353

Seems Peter Hook already has his! Can't be far off now. Picture from @BassPlayerMag Instagram

I'd like to know what Peter Hook thinks of the new bass as he always brings the BB1200S to the picture. Yamaha should just reissue that as a special edition. Edited by Dad3353

I'd like to know what Peter Hook thinks of the new bass as he always brings the BB1200S to the picture. Yamaha should just reissue that as a special edition.

On my Vintage Yamaha BB basses 70s-80s Facebook page his son said that the pre amp is quite close to the 1200s pre amp...he used the 734a for a gig in the states... I checked the footage out and it sounds great...
Totally agree they should reissue the 1200s it's a fantastic bass... Edited by Dad3353

On my Vintage Yamaha BB basses 70s-80s Facebook page his son said that the pre amp is quite close to the 1200s pre amp...he used the 734a for a gig in the states... I checked the footage out and it sounds great...
Totally agree they should reissue the 1200s it's a fantastic bass...

Cheers for the reply. That sounds very positive, I'm looking forward to having a go once they land in the UK.

Love to get my mitts on a BB1200s as well, my made in Japan BB300 is proving to be an incredible bass for the money. I can only imagine the 1200s to be even better. Edited by Dad3353

Cheers for the reply. That sounds very positive, I'm looking forward to having a go once they land in the UK.

Love to get my mitts on a BB1200s as well, my made in Japan BB300 is proving to be an incredible bass for the money. I can only imagine the 1200s to be even better.

They really are special basses...
I used to have a BB 300 nodded with the BB 1200s pick ups and pre amp...really great bass that was..
Even in its standard form it was brilliant... Edited by Dad3353

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was always put off by the blade pickup and the metal scratch plate (I'm terribly fickle like that) but I do quite like the look of these. Never played a Yamaha bass but do own a Pacifica 611 FHM and its such a great guitar. Only paid £230 for it (used)!

Edited by krispn

BB734A gets the thumbs up from me. I also did not care for the chrome control plate on the X models of the previous incarnation. I like the slightly less fussy inlays (straight lines rather than ovally things - less blobby looking, I think it looks more modern). I like the big controls. It's a yes from this BB fan (had in the past BB300, BB450, BB614)