Why become a member? ×

Stingray purchasing advice required.

Dandelion

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1490900355' post='3268965']
This is not meant to antagonise anyone, but don't all these discussions about rewiring amount to tinkering around with something that doesn't really need fixing?
[/quote]

it's a very good point... but you've been here long enough to know that *need* is rarely the major motivation about what we do here. Do we *need* a new bass? Really? Yet... we get not one but three :lol:

But seriously, yes... your point is a good one. Typically a bass works for you or it doesn't. If it doesn't... you may try changing things on it and all these mods can be very useful even if in most cases you're better off getting a different bass. But sometimes we just have to use THAT bass... maybe is sentimental value, or it just looks fabulous... other times it's a bass that feels *just right* but unfortunately the sound doesn't match the feel... whatever. If the bass works for us... it usually doesn't *need* anything. Most mods we do can make us happier with it in various ways. But we would probably be fine with it without the mods.

I started playing with wiring mods back in the day when I was not playing in bands, I had one guitar and little money. It was a very cheap way to experiment, and it was fun and educational. At one point I was in love with the idea that with the right switches I could get 27 combinations out of my Stratocaster. I didn't go as far as that, but I got a way to get many many combinations.
Of course, most were not very distinct. Some were not even useful.
The interesting part is I found the sounds I liked... and invariably I would end up with 2-3 sounds max.

Same with basses. I had a Warwick Corvette $$ with the two MM humbuckers and switches etc. Lots of combinations. I found that after the initial trial period, the switches stayed put.

Now, series/parallel on a Stingray like instrument... I personally do not need the switching ability. But between the two I much prefer the series option. It works beautifully with a 2EQ preamp. It works well enough in parallel, as countless records illustrate. But in series it gives me that extra oomph that makes me smile that little more. It's not enough to make people say "hey, that bass sounds so different!" but it's noticeable enough for people to say "your bass sounded great tonight".
Now, I'm pretty sure other people can get that kind of sound without the pickup being in series, by altering the EQ, as I get close enough on my Stingray with a touch of extra low mids on the MMSR preamp... but 2EQ + series is a very simple configuration that sounds great for what I do. So, whilst not needed, if I ever get a 2EQ Stingray, I'd rewire the pickup to series, and leave it that way.

I don't need a Jazz and a Precision and a Stingray... I could play either and be happy. The 'problem' is I *know* the others exist, and sometimes one of them is a little extra nice for my purposes. So it's good to have, if you can... but no biggie if you can't/won't.

Without the active preamp my Jazz just wouldn't work for me, bit of tinkering and it's at every gig, the massive devaluing also adds to the reasons to keep it too :)

My 2004 Ray 5 was fretless and now isn't, my classicRay5 has an east circuit. The only one standard is the 2010 AIlnico Ray5 I bought new,I'll keep that as is.

If you know from previous experience that the bass you have has everything you want other than a few bits from a version previously owned sometimes you can know the 'upgrade' will work, putting those musicman humbuckers into parallel will work, 41 years of awesome hit records is good evidence :)

Resale values? Life's too short for that.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1490954564' post='3269330']
Without the active preamp my Jazz just wouldn't work for me, bit of tinkering and it's at every gig,
[/quote]

same here. I tried to like the passive Jazz... and I like it until I play it in a band. So my Maruszczyk is now inheriting the U-Retro I bought for another old project a while ago. I miss it everytime I use it. It works, but I just know I'm missing out.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1490956060' post='3269350']
Excellently put sir and I can now see how modifying instruments becomes alluring to some.

My worry is that if I have 'X' bass, I either know it's a keeper or I don't. If it's a keeper, that usually means I'm happy with it just as it is and don't need/want to mess with it. If it's not a keeper, I wouldn't want to modify it as it could potentially devalue a resale. This point has, I believe, been raised in other threads. This is not to say that there has ever been anything wrong with basses that I have sold. My main motivation for selling anything these days is almost always because I have my eyes on something else.
[/quote]

and I envy you :)

well, I'm much better these days... but it can almost be a compulsion... changing something in the bass just to make it a bit more 'unique and personal', just because you can. It's mostly just a bit of fun, really, but I remember not long ago when every bass I'd get I'd find a way to find an 'upgrade' for. I have wasted so much cash over teh years putting preamps on basses that were never going to be 'keepers'... it's ridiculous. It never added much (if anything) to the sale price, and sometimes it actually put people off who preferred an untampered-with instrument.
I have reduced my collection considerably (I never even put everything I had in my signature!), and modify things a hell of a lot less. Interestingly, this happened at the same time I was getting much busier playing.

Isn't there an expression that goes something like "the devil finds work for idle hands" in English? (I'm not a native)

It's the same with purchasing gear. If we looked at how much I buy vs how much I play, I'm pretty sure there's a strong anticorrelation there. :lol: and this effect was amplified the day I discovered Basschat!

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1490889498' post='3268859']
Unfortunately, I have no idea what the EBMM Sterling SUB would be like. They're so rare I have only ever seen one in the flesh!
[/quote]

I didn't even know these existed. I thought SUBs were limited to StingRays only. I found one online, new for €849. Good price? Dunno what these were going for.

Treb, the Sub Sterling USA model was made alongside the Ray Subs but had a shorter build run I think so not that many in circulation. A strange beast, 3 band active EQ but no switching like the full fat US Sterling. Also, it has 22 frets like a Sterling but is a 6 bolt neck rather than a 5 bolt. They don't come up often used, I think they are typically £450 - £500 for a decent example.

• 3 weeks later...