Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic BG250 Cut Out

Stingrayman

I bought the BG250 115 about 6 months ago and up till now have been very happy with it. It's a lightweight amp packing a lot of punch and ideal for small venues.

Last Saturday half way through the second set the amp just died away for about 3 seconds then came back on. Of course it felt like an eternity with no sound. I am not sure if it was just sound that went or power to the whole amp that went.

Has anybody else experienced this? I am now left with an amp with very little confidence.

The pub was one of those with very poor power supply outlets and the whole band and PA were running off only one power socket. Not a good idea I know. Could brief power starvation be the problem?

Thanks guys.

I gigged one of these anps regularly for a couple of years without any problems, but a couple of people I know have had exactly the issue that you experienced. I was told (not sure how accurate this is) that it is a software issue and that turning the amp on and off rectifies it!

.....I was told (not sure how accurate this is) that it is a software issue and that turning the amp on and off rectifies it!

Ah, so the old "computer remedy" could now be affecting amps too? ;)
I have the TCBG550 head, and I've not noticed anything - then again, it's not getting heavy usage currently

I'm just wondering whether there is an overload cut-out protection on these heads? That may be another possibility - anyone on here know? I can certainly understand how you could lose confidence in an amp, and I'm sorry to hear this has happened to you

I had a similar issue, several years back. I was playing in a pub, and the bass amp just suddenly stopped working - then cut back in again. At first, I thought it was the 2nd hand bass combo I'd then recently acquired.... Only to find out that I was plugged in to a mains socket which had one of those noise level cut out switches on! The other band members had plugged into sockets which didn't have this, and I was the unlucky one who had! No-one had told me that mine was the socket fitted with this "added feature", and though I was a bit miffed at this, I was also relieved, as my amp was OK

BTW. It's never a good idea to run everything from one mains socket, as you can overload the mains circuit. I don't think this was the issue with your amp though - otherwise everyone else's power would have been affected.

Most of all - good luck finding out the cause - hope it's not a problem with these amps - I really like my TC head

• 5 months later...

I gigged one of these anps regularly for a couple of years without any problems, but a couple of people I know have had exactly the issue that you experienced. I was told (not sure how accurate this is) that it is a software issue and that turning the amp on and off rectifies it!

I have since sold my amp, which gave me many gigs of trouble free service, but I did at last nights gig use a provided BG250 210, which cut out a few songs into the set. I switched it off and on again, which did the trick. A bit worrying for the rest of the set though

These events sound like the amplifier protection circuits coming into operation (correctly) when they sense a dangerous overload situation for the amp and connected speaker. I have only experienced this once when driving a 4 ohm load with a 500w class D head at high volume. Were you pushing the amp/cab too loud perhaps?

• 2 years later...

No idea how to fix it.  Why not state where you are located in your sig.  On this forum you have every chance that someone lives near to you and may be willing to help.  At this short notice I would borrow (buy cheaply) another amp for the gig. Can you go through the pa system? if so use some form of DI box? - plenty of pedals etc about that will do this cheaply e.g. https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Behringer-BDI21-V-Tone-Bass-Preamp/6LV?origin=product-ads&gclid=CjwKCAiAxMLvBRBNEiwAKhr-nGbKu9STsEB9lf49014ynlw8pt8J4MrQ_kPzBsJNkDy3dicY3LBFxxoCXr0QAvD_BwE

I always carry a Sansamp as a backup for the 'failsafe' scenario. Good luck with the gig.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, joestento said:

My BG115 will not power up and I need it for a very important gig Sat 12/14! Please advise how to fix this! ty

Maybe post your own thread with the model in the title and with the problem described and what you have done so far would give you more responses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1