Why become a member? ×

NGD: Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster

Jono Bolton

After selling my CV 50s Precision, I was in the market for a new guitar. I wanted a Classic Vibe Telecaster, but struggled to find one in my budget. I was due to get a Vintage Modified Jazzmaster, but while doing some research online I stumbled across this model. It's a new model for 2017, so there isn't a huge amount of information online - it's not even on the Fender website! One thing that I found was a comment on another forum stating that it's basically a Squier J Mascis in a different colour scheme, so I duly went to the guitar shop to check it out.

Comparing them side by side, there's nothing to split them; the tremolo is in the same position (closer to the bridge), it has a Gibson-style Adjustomatic bridge, the pickups have adjustable pole pieces, jumbo frets on a satin finish neck, and the same headstock decal (slightly different to the VM). The kicker? The Deluxe was £336, nearly £150 less than the J Mascis! I'm not crazy about the gold pickguard and black plastic parts, but for that saving I'm not going to complain. In fact, I've already got a mint green guard on the way.

It sound great with the P90s (as opposed to Jazzmaster single coils), and the neck is a dream to play. I've restrung it with 12-56s so the set up needs some adjustment, but it's great to play regardless.

I had read that Squier were discontinuing the signature models as well. Gary Jarman of The Cribs has a signature model, and he said as such on the Offset Guitar forum where he's a member. I'd wanted a J Mascis for some time but when I saw this it was a no brainer. I've sourced a replacement pickguard, as well as pickup covers, knobs and a switch tip for about £20, giving me a total saving of around £130. The Mascis has some nice flame on the neck, but there was nothing to separate them. I still can't figure out why there's such a gap in price for what is ultimately the same guitar.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was in London yesterday and popped to Guitar Guitar.
After a quick go on the Vintage Modified Squiers and the J Mascis one, I walked out with this.

I couldn't tell the difference between this and the Mascis model. Same neck, pickups and bridge/trem. £150 cheaper too.

[attachment=244650:FullSizeRender.jpg]

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1494317043' post='3294845']
I have been gas'ing for a Jazzmaster recently...mainly due to Chris Stapleton...but this thread's not helping either :D
[/quote]

I'm very far from the greatest guitarist in the world, but these Squier Deluxes are just so bloody easy to play.