Why become a member? ×

Gigging is good for you

Roland Rock

My Fitbit tracks my heartbeat among other things. It was interesting to see that during our set last night, I rapidly ascended into the 'Fat Burn' zone, and towards the end of the set got into Cardiovascular territory.

Gigging is good for body and mind!

[Img] http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/rackbags/Screenshot_2017-03-18-09-37-52_zps2pqoh0ep.png" class="ipsImage" />

Edited by Roland Rock

If you've ever played a gig when you're feeling poorly, you'll know the amazing thing that is 'Dr Gig'. I felt really bad for some gigs, but when I get up to play, it all seems to fall away. However, those minutes just after the gig is finished are a real crash back into illness :(

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1489835523' post='3260174']
If you've ever played a gig when you're feeling poorly, you'll know the amazing thing that is 'Dr Gig'. I felt really bad for some gigs, but when I get up to play, it all seems to fall away. However, those minutes just after the gig is finished are a real crash back into illness :(
[/quote]

Oh yes, I know that one! Played a couple of gigs two years ago a week after fairly major surgery, felt crap before the gig, felt even more crap afterwards, but still sailed through the gig, then did it again 2 days later!

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1489835592' post='3260176']
Adrenalin?
[/quote]

I'm no expert, but I'm inclined to agree. Besides, to get even the smallest benefit from a cardiovascular "work out".. (if indeed your experience qualifies as such).. the heart rate has to be continuously maintained for a long(ish) period (minimum twenty minutes).

https://www.healthstatus.com/health_blog/wellness/cardio-exercise-definition-and-benefits/

Fat burning zone is a bit of a misconception. Simple rule more calories out than in creates calorific deficit.Exercise improves overal health.Too much can cause more harm than good.Type of food you eat is important and when you eat. There are various theories but what works for ine doesn't wirk for others.

Gigging is a form of exercise but again depends how active you're on stage.

Agreed that calories in v calories out is how it works, but how you exercise makes a difference, like how you drive influences how quickly you burn fuel.

I'm not seriously suggesting that I'd have lost weight at last night's gig :D
Especially as I had kebab afterwards!

Edited by Roland Rock

That's all the physical stuff taken care of. And those of us of a certain age definitely benefit from the brain exercises from the concentration that playing, and particularly reading, requires. I'm sure it's doing me good, although time will tell.