Welcome to the new site. We hope you enjoy it. We also hope you like this little sticky note. You can send them to each other or to yourself for reminders. 

Have a read of this thread (click) where I describe some new functions.

Take some time to try the new content search, maybe set up your own custom search and make it your bookmark.

A note about PMs - please read the note in the link above about PMs from the old site.

Thanks for visiting, and enjoy.

(you can dismiss this note so you won’t see it again)

Sign in to follow this  
Roland Rock

Gigging is good for you

Posted (edited)
My Fitbit tracks my heartbeat among other things. It was interesting to see that during our set last night, I rapidly ascended into the 'Fat Burn' zone, and towards the end of the set got into Cardiovascular territory.

Gigging is good for body and mind!

[Img] http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/rackbags/Screenshot_2017-03-18-09-37-52_zps2pqoh0ep.png" class="ipsImage" /> Edited by Roland Rock

A high heart rate alone is not necessarily a good thing. Stress can do much the same thing.

If you've ever played a gig when you're feeling poorly, you'll know the amazing thing that is 'Dr Gig'. I felt really bad for some gigs, but when I get up to play, it all seems to fall away. However, those minutes just after the gig is finished are a real crash back into illness :(

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1489834316' post='3260166']
A high heart rate alone is not necessarily a good thing. Stress can do much the same thing.
[/quote]

He was playing 'The Birdie Song' at the time.So yes, it was more than likely stress. :)

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1489835523' post='3260174']
If you've ever played a gig when you're feeling poorly, you'll know the amazing thing that is 'Dr Gig'. I felt really bad for some gigs, but when I get up to play, it all seems to fall away. However, those minutes just after the gig is finished are a real crash back into illness :(
[/quote]

Oh yes, I know that one! Played a couple of gigs two years ago a week after fairly major surgery, felt crap before the gig, felt even more crap afterwards, but still sailed through the gig, then did it again 2 days later!

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1489835592' post='3260176']
Adrenalin?
[/quote]

I'm no expert, but I'm inclined to agree. Besides, to get even the smallest benefit from a cardiovascular "work out".. (if indeed your experience qualifies as such).. the heart rate has to be continuously maintained for a long(ish) period (minimum twenty minutes).

https://www.healthstatus.com/health_blog/wellness/cardio-exercise-definition-and-benefits/

Fat burning zone is a bit of a misconception. Simple rule more calories out than in creates calorific deficit.Exercise improves overal health.Too much can cause more harm than good.Type of food you eat is important and when you eat. There are various theories but what works for ine doesn't wirk for others.

Gigging is a form of exercise but again depends how active you're on stage.

Posted (edited)
Agreed that calories in v calories out is how it works, but how you exercise makes a difference, like how you drive influences how quickly you burn fuel.

I'm not seriously suggesting that I'd have lost weight at last night's gig :D
Especially as I had kebab afterwards! Edited by Roland Rock

That's all the physical stuff taken care of. And those of us of a certain age definitely benefit from the brain exercises from the concentration that playing, and particularly reading, requires. I'm sure it's doing me good, although time will tell.

Take a look at the tension on those strings you are either twanging or holding down.
Who needs free weights?

I would have like to have been plugged into a blood pressure monitor this weekend when we found out a gig we were booked for turned out to be a pay-to-play! :P

When I had cancer back in 2009 I was signed off work for 3 months but had a gig 10 days after surgery - the Doc described the gig as "a good idea" as it would "help aid recovery". I couldn't argue :)

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1489830813' post='3260136']
I'll ask my doctor if I can get gigs on prescription!
[/quote]

:D