Why become a member? ×

Your thoughts re: Flats on a Jazz bass?

Papabull

I'm really not trying to sound stoopid (or play Devil's advocate) but would appreciate your thoughts regarding putting flats on a jazz bass.

1.Is this taboo?

2.Can it work?

3.Does it make any sense?

4. Most importantly can i get that burpy sound from the the bridge pick up using flats?

Your thoughts would be VERY welcome

best wishes to all

paul h

Thanks all, really useful...... Going to give it a go. Not sure about string gauge but not too heavy. I tried a friends P bass strung with flats really liked the feel of them. That might sound daft but I think sometimes that kind of thing can affect how you play!

Anyway thanks for your help.....

[quote name='ThePapabull' timestamp='1489834677' post='3260169']That might sound daft but I think sometimes that kind of thing can affect how you play!
[/quote]

Not daft at all. If you are confident in your sound then you'll be happy. A happy bass player is [i]always[/i] a better bass player.

Just got my first jazz bass (used). Came with flats on it so I got some bright round wounds to put on. Within a day the flats were back on it as they sounded better (and I always prefer the feel of them). For me the bridge pickup sound was better with flats.

100% yes you can, they're great on a Jazz, personally I love the TI Jazz flats matched with a Jazz neck, to me they suit it perfectly. I wouldn't like the feel of my favourite P-bass flats on a skinny neck, horses for courses & all that. GHS Precision flats on a P with 1 3/4" nut = perfect, TI's on a Jazz = perfect.

Just my twopenneth :happy:

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1489784467' post='3259918']
In order;
1 - No, it's a classic sound that's on many great records
2 - Yes, see 1.
3 - Again, yes
4 - Sort of. You can get a tight, punchy, middy tone that's very recognisably a jazz bridge pickup, though it stops slightly short of the full Jaco "parp". I prefer the flats version, personally.
[/quote]

Yes! What he said...

Edited by lovetheblues

I haven't put flats on my passive Jazz, yet, but I have been playing my active Lakland 55-94 with flats for a little while and although it sounds pretty good, I think I prefer the "livelier" sound of a good set of rounds on an active bass.

The flats give the 55-94 the typical thump and fuller fatter sound, but the P bass does that even better. I guess that's down to it's pickup design and location.