Dear guest,

Welcome to the biggest community for bass players in Europe. You'll find the site a great source of information and advice.

Why not sign up now and:

• Say hello - tell us about your playing, your gear and where you're from.
  • Search the database for inspiration or to find out more about your instrument
  • Upload an avatar and profile picture
  • Buy one of the thousands of items in our marketplace
  • Safely sell your items to a community of proven enthusiasts
  • Upload pictures, audio and videos
  • Buy exclusive items at discount through our shop (coming soon!)

Go on, click the button and become part of it today!

New: Sign up and get 20% off tickets for the London Bass Guitar Show - and we'll see you there!

Sign in to follow this  
ThePapabull

Your thoughts re: Flats on a Jazz bass?

I'm really not trying to sound stoopid (or play Devil's advocate) but would appreciate your thoughts regarding putting flats on a jazz bass.

1.Is this taboo?

2.Can it work?

3.Does it make any sense?

4. Most importantly can i get that burpy sound from the the bridge pick up using flats?

Your thoughts would be VERY welcome

best wishes to all

paul h

In order;
1 - No, it's a classic sound that's on many great records
2 - Yes, see 1.
3 - Again, yes
4 - Sort of. You can get a tight, punchy, middy tone that's very recognisably a jazz bridge pickup, though it stops slightly short of the full Jaco "parp". I prefer the flats version, personally.

Wouldn't the first Jazz basses have come with flats as standard? Jazz Bass 1960, roundwounds 1966 from the quickest bit of Googling.

It's definitely worth a try. Get a cheap set of flats like fenders own and give it a go. I used to when I was playing with a guitarist who played acoustic only, worked great.

Louis Johnson used flats on his Musicman to start with. If that can work then flats on a Jazz will sound fine.

Both my Jazz bases have flats on them (Chromes), I find it gets rid of the twangyness, which is a good thing from my point of view.

Thanks all, really useful...... Going to give it a go. Not sure about string gauge but not too heavy. I tried a friends P bass strung with flats really liked the feel of them. That might sound daft but I think sometimes that kind of thing can affect how you play!

Anyway thanks for your help.....

[quote name='ThePapabull' timestamp='1489834677' post='3260169']That might sound daft but I think sometimes that kind of thing can affect how you play!
[/quote]

Not daft at all. If you are confident in your sound then you'll be happy. A happy bass player is [i]always[/i] a better bass player.

Flats sound great on a jazz. Remember your amp has a treble control so you can dial back in the top end but flats will give you a different version on that back pick up burp.

Just got my first jazz bass (used). Came with flats on it so I got some bright round wounds to put on. Within a day the flats were back on it as they sounded better (and I always prefer the feel of them). For me the bridge pickup sound was better with flats.

100% yes you can, they're great on a Jazz, personally I love the TI Jazz flats matched with a Jazz neck, to me they suit it perfectly. I wouldn't like the feel of my favourite P-bass flats on a skinny neck, horses for courses & all that. GHS Precision flats on a P with 1 3/4" nut = perfect, TI's on a Jazz = perfect.

Just my twopenneth :happy:

Chromes work very well on my Jazz and have plenty of midrange growl when needed. I find rounds too clanky on a Jazz, which is already quite bright sounding.

I had flats on mine and it sounded great. I put them on a Rickenbacker too. We need to stop having rules for music.

THATS IT !!!! I'm doing it. Big thanks for everyones contribution here....... I've said it before but BASSCHAT is such am awesome community.. LOVE IT

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1489784467' post='3259918']
In order;
1 - No, it's a classic sound that's on many great records
2 - Yes, see 1.
3 - Again, yes
4 - Sort of. You can get a tight, punchy, middy tone that's very recognisably a jazz bridge pickup, though it stops slightly short of the full Jaco "parp". I prefer the flats version, personally.
[/quote]

Yes! What he said...

Edited by lovetheblues

TI Jazz Flats sound wicked on a Jazz Bass. Yes, they can affect the way you think and play but that is not a bad thing by any means.

I haven't put flats on my passive Jazz, yet, but I have been playing my active Lakland 55-94 with flats for a little while and although it sounds pretty good, I think I prefer the "livelier" sound of a good set of rounds on an active bass.

The flats give the 55-94 the typical thump and fuller fatter sound, but the P bass does that even better. I guess that's down to it's pickup design and location.