Why become a member? ×

New Laney Richter Amps

BassApprentice

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1489761261' post='3259598']
The feature set looks like a lot of '90s amps, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Since their Nexus amps mention being Class-D in the specs and this one doesn't say anything about it, I wonder what sort of power amp they're using? It looks like it's less than £300 too.
[/quote]From memory, Nexus were either Valve or class A/B. Of course they could have added Class D later

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1489767127' post='3259689']
From memory, Nexus were either Valve or class A/B. Of course they could have added Class D later
[/quote]

I was thinking about the Nexus SL models on their website, which have a blurb about "cutting edge class-d technology". I noticed that the R500H doesn't use that phrase, though the review above suggests class-d. Not that it matters especially (IMO), but I know there are some on here who look for class ab amps.

My first serious amp was one of their 1x15 R4 combos, good no-frills amp that got the job done; I found that bypassing the pre-amp by running through a Sansamp direct into the FX return turned it into a good sounding amp

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I've always liked Laney stuff for both guitar and bass, and recently went back to their gear for bass after a few years using Ashdown dual tube series. My main gig rig is now a Laney R500H and two R410 cabs, and I'm more than happy with it. Works well for me and gets the sound I'm after, I find there's so much volume and headroom to spare even playing with a very loud drummer It's barely breaking a sweat live, immense ability to fill a venue with bass and the tone is more my cuppa tea than the Ashdown too :-) I definitely like the new Richter series now!29101535_10214839333635434_7295299597784

• Like 1

Love the fact that this is a British brand that's been around for over 50 years, and from the West Midlands too (ok I'll have to 'fess some bias, having grown up there!)

Really like that the R500H has a 10 band EQ starting at 30Hz (which if you wanted to cut right there gives you a defacto HPF) and then going through to 8kHz

TWO four 10s!! Yup, I can see why you have headroom to spare :) 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 29/08/2018 at 12:48, Danguitarbass said:

I can verify the R500H looks cool with its blue backlighting and sounds awesome onstage, drop D no sweat at all, it handles my low B through 2 R410 cabs no problem 😎 

Hello, I'm thinking about getting this head and just browsing the archives found this thread. Hope it's ok to get your input. 

Are you still using this rig?, What are your thoughts after more prolonged use? Also is the fan very loud? I have a Peavey Minimax which is great, but I need something that runs more quietly for something I'm playing in. 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...