Why become a member? ×

Bought a Barefaced...what next?

Mickeyboro

Picked up a Barefaced Super Compact this week thanks to a kindly tipoff on this forum.

I intend using this on its own as a more compact replacement for the MarkBass CMD102P that has served me well for several years (if you want to know the truth, it won't quite fit in the boot of our new car...d'oh!).

So what do I need to get the best out of my sparkly new speaker?

My two projects are:

(1) classic rock four-piece including keyboards; I use a Jazz for this.

(2) Motown/blues trio, for which I use a Precision and do a lot more bottom-end playing.

Any steers as to power and make of potential amp acquisitions, plus reasoning for an ignoramus like me, are welcomed!

If you like the Markbass sound Mickey, a Little Mark III will work a treat. Ashdown would be also be good, especially for the more bottom end stuff. If the ABM is too big/heavy the RMs are great little amps, have a lot more "oomph" to them than many of the other smaller amps (I`ve had many, so am speaking from my own experience here). Both the ABM600 and RM500 have plenty enough top end as well, forget the woolly-brigade.

Doesn't the amp come out of that combo?

If so I'd use it and see if the tone you have liked for all these years is still there.

I use an Aguilar TH500 with my SC's. And I play Motown, Blues, Soul, Rock and half a dozen other genres.

+1 for trying your LM head from the combo first (it'll sound different with the SC, so be prepared to have a play with your EQ), but after that, it'll be a case of pick a head you fancy. I've got a Super Twin (essentially two SCs in one box), and it sounds great with both my Walkabout and my Magellan, and they're pretty different amps.

EDIT: Thinking on, the LM head might not have a lid once you remove it (you might be able to hook it up without removing it), but as long as you don't stick your arm in there when it's powered on, should be fine. :)

Edited by Muzz

As with many threads, all you're going to get is what amp a particular member likes, be it through a Super Compact or otherwise.
You're just going to be best to look in the amp for sale ads and do some experimenting with used gear (so often not loosing much money when flipping them).
Me? I love my Markbass Little Mark 2 & Little Mark 800 (not the tube one) through my Super Compact & G2 Midget......simply as that, that combo really works for me with passive Precision, Jazz and an active 5 string.

Si

For any small BF cab you'll need a pretty juicy amp.

You will wonder how you lived so long without your BF cab, but, in my experience, power and quality is needed, spend as much as you can!

I tried to run a Midget T with a Hartke 500. What could go wrong? Well, the Hartke amp was a bi-amp and so was actually 2 x 250W. And that was into 4 Ohms, my Midget was 8 Ohms and so 'only' 170W was available. I was hearing lots of distortion. I called Alex to tell him his speaker distorted and he told me it was the amp. I took him at his word and spent another fortune on a Streamliner 900 and have never looked back. It's a phenomenal combination, powerful, deep, clear and, if you want it, very loud. To get decent volumes from a small BF you need some power. I also had a Compact and while this was noticeably louder at the same amp settings, still a good size engine was needed for this too.

The other thing is that these cabs have little colouring. They simply blast out what you put in. If a poor amp is used they will faithfully reproduce that poor sound in all its glory. I suppose if you were buying a great set of speakers for your hi-fi, you would expect them to perform at their best with a decent amp. BF cabs are very good and you will benefit from a really good amp. You'll hear mazing transients and dynamics.

I'm sure many will have their fave amps and manufacturers, but in the end, you get what you pay for. One that has an honest set of specs, I would recommend at least 500W to really get the potential from your cab, and as good quality as you can possibly stretch to. I promise you will not regret it.

Edited by 4 Strings

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1489794067' post='3260011']
For any small BF cab you'll need a pretty juicy amp.

I'm sure many will have their fave amps and manufacturers, but in the end, you get what you pay for. One that has an honest set of specs, I would recommend at least 500W to really get the potential from your cab, and as good quality as you can possibly stretch to. I promise you will not regret it.
[/quote]

+1 a decently powerful amp is needed to the most out of a cab like this.

Hi Mickey,
I have achieved a great range of sounds from my Barefaced SC with a Mesa Subway D800.
Simples! Set the EQ for the room /stage then adjust the character control for each type of tone you need for each song.
Good luck with your search for the amp that's right for you.
We're all different! No one size fits all!

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1489794067' post='3260011']
For any small BF cab you'll need a pretty juicy amp.[/quote]

Fortunately that isn't the case with any of the Gen 3 cabs - they're all very efficient for their size, so need less power than other similarly sized cabs to get as loud. They'll handle a LOT of power though, so with more power they'll go as loud as most cabs twice their size. Progress! :)